Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Crossed State Lines Today

  1. #1

    Default Crossed State Lines Today

    The wife and I went to a neighboring state and stopped in a gun shop today. First thing I noticed was several brands of 22 long rifle sitting on the shelves behind glass cases. The CCI Minimags 22 lr in 100 packs was priced at $32.95. The Federal 550 round bricks was $95 and a 600 round brick of match ammo was $125. The store was full of inventory and had the highest prices I have ever saw. The store was also full of people and they were buying it. They had a large inventory of new as well as used guns also. They had 4 or 5 Remington Speedmasters that were priced between $400 and $500. They had some of the nylon 66's and I forgot the price of them, but they had one that was a bolt action I think they called it a # 11 for $650. It was neat to look at all the guns and stuff they had but after I saw how they had hijacked the prices I would not buy anything from them.

  2. #2
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Welcome to the new world order.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Welcome to the new world order.
    What's new about capitalism?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What's new about capitalism?
    Oh that's right.........it's screw your buddy week EVERY week these days........sorry I forgot.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    If you like your ammo, it willl cost more.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Well, that is capitalism. People with the goods put whatever price they want on them and you as a customer decide whether or not you want it bad enough to pay the price. I'm with you though as I won't buy things that are over priced either. There are folks with enough money that $100 for a brick of 22lr is ok but it's not me and I have no problem walking away when the prices are stupid. That is capitalism but it beats socialism where the goods are not available at any price.

  7. #7

    Default

    They had some cool things in there to look at. They had one old gun with a brass scope on it. The scope had no adjustments in it. The adjustments were in the mounts. Any of you ever saw a nylon 66 in bold action? This was my first. If I can get a chance I will go back in to look some more but will not buy from these people. You could of cut the prices of every thing in half and you would not get many bargains.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I have seen a couple of the bolt action 66s but they are rare. I've never cared for the 66s in any form. Now, if you run across a Rem 513T for $400 it might be worth a second look but the CZ 22s are hard to beat for about the same money.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh that's right.........it's screw your buddy week EVERY week these days........sorry I forgot.
    Try to look at it from another angle. If you owned a mom and pop gun shop and the ammo sales were way down you need to make the profit somewhere. If they need to raise the prices to keep the business afloat so be it.
    Bottom line is, NO ONE HAS TO BUY IT so no one is getting screwed.

  10. #10
    Member Meanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    288

    Default

    I have been suprised by the behaivior of the retailers during the ammo shortage. Most of them are accepting a lot less for the ammo on thier shelves than they could get. Instead of jacking prices they have been limiting amounts per purchase and are still chronically low on stock. As a consumer I like that approach when I can find what I want but not when I can't.

    One item that I have seen go way up are the 40 S&W Remington 180gr Golden Saber. They went from $19 to $38 a box. I know that many APD use this round so maybe that has something to do with it?

  11. #11
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    It seems that the shops with higher prices have .22 ammo on their shelves and those selling for cheaper prices are sold out.
    There is a shop in the Soldotna area selling bricks of .22 at $65. They have ammo. Walmart,Three Bears,sportsmans,etc sell for $26 a brick or less and they rarely have any and certainly not while I am there.
    While I hate to see these high prices I guess I should have bought more when it was $10-$15 a brick.
    If I really needed some for hunting at least I know where I can get it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    It seems that the shops with higher prices have .22 ammo on their shelves and those selling for cheaper prices are sold out.
    There is a shop in the Soldotna area selling bricks of .22 at $65. They have ammo. Walmart,Three Bears,sportsmans,etc sell for $26 a brick or less and they rarely have any and certainly not while I am there.
    While I hate to see these high prices I guess I should have bought more when it was $10-$15 a brick.
    If I really needed some for hunting at least I know where I can get it.
    Noticed that $65 .22 ammo also, but I think that Aquila match stuff was about that price before this fiasco. Any rate I really chuckled at the Eley that was $25 for a 50 round box! I can shoot factory .223 for that! Reloading gear is getting way easier to find around here, I suspect .22 ammo isn't more than a few months away now.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Noticed that $65 .22 ammo also, but I think that Aquila match stuff was about that price before this fiasco. Any rate I really chuckled at the Eley that was $25 for a 50 round box! I can shoot factory .223 for that! Reloading gear is getting way easier to find around here, I suspect .22 ammo isn't more than a few months away now.
    Keep in mind that a lot of Eley is higher than match grade quality. It's the stuff the Olympic competitors use to practice and compete with. Super reliable and super accurate. Well beyond what any mortal would really ever need. So you pay for it. Problem is, we see it now cause it's the only thing left on the shelf. Eley's have always been really expensive.

    BTW, at those prices, I've got a couple bricks of .22 I'd sell for $100 a brick... LOL.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of Eley is higher than match grade quality. It's the stuff the Olympic competitors use to practice and compete with. Super reliable and super accurate. Well beyond what any mortal would really ever need. So you pay for it. Problem is, we see it now cause it's the only thing left on the shelf. Eley's have always been really expensive.

    BTW, at those prices, I've got a couple bricks of .22 I'd sell for $100 a brick... LOL.
    I was wondering uf that was the case with the Eley, I knew it was supposed to be high end stuff. Didn't realize it was that high end, but it makes sense, thanks for the info.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I was wondering uf that was the case with the Eley, I knew it was supposed to be high end stuff. Didn't realize it was that high end, but it makes sense, thanks for the info.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I started looking into it when I got my 10/22 cause I was curious. Turns out, bulk is about as accurate as I am and a lot cheaper. I can still get decent groupings with bulk on a bench rest. Close enough to take out a squirrel if I need to. Some day, maybe I'll try out the Eley. Just to waste some perfectly good money.. LOL.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Picked up 3 boxes of CCI mini-mags today for $9 a box, not much more than before.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17

    Default

    Try some CCI SV ammo. Much better than bulk but not as good as Eley. It shoots very well in a wide range of firearms and is priced right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •