Thread: Best Time For Kodiak Fishing

Default Best Time For Kodiak Fishing

If you were to schedule a week trip to Kodiak next summer what date would you choose?

Interested in Silvers or Reds but leaning more towards the Reds I think.

I'm thinking probably an ATV trip and a mixed bag ocean charter and then 4 or 5 days of fishing on our own.

I'm looking for time recommendations as well as guides and lodging.

Thanks,
    Paul

Reds and silvers don't really overlap, well not in heavy numbers. June/July is best for reds. Ocean fishing really gets going during the same time frame. Silvers in the salt start about mid July usually, in the rivers they get hot and heavy mid August. Kings are here year round, hottest time is July/Aug for numbers tho.

July 15th.
    Schedule 7 clear days with 2 travel days.
    If you want specifics notify me by personal e-mail; alaskanauthor@verizon.net.
    I'm now an out-of-towner, but I did write the book about this place...

Rosenberg; Zhengzhou, CN / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    July 15th.
    Schedule 7 clear days with 2 travel days.
    If you want specifics notify me by personal e-mail; alaskanauthor@verizon.net.
    I'm now an out-of-towner, but I did write the book about this place...

Rosenberg; Zhengzhou, CN / Sarasota, FL

Scammer trying to sell books, basically telling you to hire a guide, he never lived there, only visited once in a while. Forget his book, but if you must, check out his picture of an Atlantic puffin if you are really curious about his superior knowledge of the area!

Make some calls to the chamber of commerce or the visitors center. Get some local guide numbers and call and chat about your desires and what they can offer.

There is a husband and wife that guide on the road system that do a good job for river fishing.

Late July early August if you want to have a chance at both reds and silvers. Earlier for better fishing on the reds, go later for better fishing on the silvers.

Ocean is a crap shoot based on weather. Should get something with a quality operator. If you want ling cod look at the regs and go after it opens.

Pm if you want more info.

[QUOTE=dieNqvrs;1344580]Scammer trying to sell books, basically telling you to hire a guide, he never lived there, only visited once in a while. Forget his book, but if you must, check out his picture of an Atlantic puffin if you are really curious about his superior knowledge of the area!

Really? Scammer? I'll take an exception and reply to this one:

Eight round-trip commutes from FL to AK between 2002 and 2006 resulting in three months worth of collative research with area outfitters and guides. Estimated capital outlay in excess of $15,000. Out-of-state annual renter 2012-2013. Kodiak Fishing At Any Angle was self-published with my own risk capital in 2007. The book is sold out; the last case went to the owner of Outdoors Directory.

I offered up my e-mail address to give a new member some free assistance...

Rosenberg; Zengzhou, CN / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Bernard has always been gracious to me!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I've made a couple of trips to Kodiak and the first week of September was fantastic for silvers.

Sorry for not responding earlier. I wasn't on here for awhile and thought I would get notifications but it was apparently turned off.

I'd have to disagree with calling Bernard a scammer. I used his book to plan a trip to mainland Alaska last year and found it very helpful. I'm sure it wouldn't have much value to a local experienced fisherman but for first timers I would highly recommend it.

Bernard I'll send you an email to the address you posted and any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Tried shooting ya a PM but you can't do that yet. Send me an e-mail, blazenabel@gmail.com, I'm on island, will help you out anyway I can. Also how on youtube and check out AK Supersite. Mike, (owner of this site) put together a sweet pair of videos on the island, they did exactly what you are looking for. 2 days on the ocean, one on the ATV trip, one on the road on their own and one with me on the ocean. Lots fo good info in those videos and it's up to date.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

First week of September. A blind man could catch slivers then. Don't forget to visit Tony's.