Thread: Kings River's "Magic Mile"

Default Kings River's "Magic Mile"

Here is a video of a buddy & I running my new favorite stretch of river!
    Flow on Moose Creek was 210 CFS
    Enjoy!
    -JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1-_...ature=youtu.be

I think I have it fixed to where it works with mobile devices, let me know.
    -JR

Dude, that was freakin sick. My heart was actually racing through some of those runs. Those upper sweepers looked a bit sketch. Great job.

larry

Nice... thanks for including the "out of boat experiences" too. One of my concerns over the recent pack raft craze is newer boaters who don't really understand how to run water like this, and ending up in trouble. Yeah, I know it's not my job to worry about it, but it weighs on my mind that we are going to read about some of our members in the paper some day...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the vid. Yeah that wood scared me too.

Mike,
    I completely agree, I am a bit Cowboy ... as you can see from my videos, but I have talked to a lot of first time boaters that just jump right in to Eagle River and run Campground w/o looking it over first. One group I talked to lost 3 of their 4 boats their first day. They watch what the top 10% are running and think ... yeah I can do that. I know this because I was that kid 3 years ago but I had years of canoe and round boat experience to keep me out of trouble, or in less trouble.
    -JR

Hey Mike, I also believe that your concern about new boaters is precisely why it's GREAT to include the flip and swim scenarios. It calls attention to imagine themselves in the same scenarios...and maybe they'll be more prepared.

The body can't go where the mind has yet to travel, so to speak.

Awesome stuff.

Great video! Made me feel like I was there. Now I don't even have to try it LOL. Great choice of tunes too.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Default Flow is key

Steep boulder garden runs are actually very suitable for packrafts, at lower flows, as seen in JR's video. A swim is not that bad, because recovery is not an issue, unlesss the swim occurs at the apex of the rapid.
    Large waves and holes are usually what gets packrafters becuase the packrafts tend to want to ride up and over breaking waves rather than melting them like a kayak can, and most kayakers can roll up in the big water which is a major safety factor. Remember... ratings are set at certain flows based on technical aspects of the water, but most important is rescue ability of the person and the team on any given stretch of water.
    With that said, I think most boulder garden runs are pretty safe for packrafts at lower flows, the power of the water is much less, and a swim is not much more than a bumpy bruise-fest.
    Nice trip JR

Here is a vid of Tim and my sons science teacher running Kings at higher water, and a great example of a kayak melting Gotta Give Er. This is not as safe or forgiving.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40f8VPpM6EU

Great video JR! Way to pump some life back into the "Rafting Forum".

-Josh

Just found your vid. Way cool!!

Walt

Gulkana Rafting