Thread: fish finders

Post fish finders

I want to buy a fish finder for my boat this year. There are too many choices out there, most that I looked at have charts and maps for the lower 48. I have about $300.00 in my budget. I would like to do more lake fishing and catching so a fish finder might help. Any help or recommendations on fish finders would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave

Hey, I am in same boat (pun intended).. I have been googling around online looking at fish finders too. So far I think I'm leaning toward this Fish Hunter one http://www.fishhunter.com/

It's $200, and i figure I'll get the waterproof case and probably the mount as well.

This one is one that works with bluetooth through your smart phone. i hope it's good because if it is it will be really cool. It has an app that tells you all kinds of catch info and maps and you can save your fishing spots and catch pictures in etc. I like that kind of thing so it's perfect for me. As long as it works great of course. They say it's military grade sonar so it should. I'll let you know what i think of it but it won't be until spring thaw likely.

I will take a look at their web site thanks for the info

You get what you pay for...

These are around 500/ 600

http://www.raymarine.com/dragonfly/
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You get what you pay for...

These are around 500/ 600

http://www.raymarine.com/dragonfly/
    Do you have a dragonfly, akmike...or anyone else, for that matter? I read/watched lots of reviews today that ranged from very positive to the complete opposite. I'm not a complex guy...seems like they might be easier to operate than many out there.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Transducers are relatively simple and I've never had one that failed. What you end up paying for is the display and features. Many brands use the same transducers for various models, the difference is display and features. If you are going to use the system in deep and shallow waters you may want a dual frequency transducer. Use the lower freq for deep water and the higher freq for shallow. Every inch of increase in display size costs more money. Features like zoom and split screens cost extra, as do things like multi color and little fishies instead of upsidedown check marks. If you learn to use the fishfinder expertly almost anything will do the trick. It takes lots of practice. If you learn to use a simple device you'll be depending you your own skill sets, not the features. Systems with automated features tend to give you more false alerts (like identifying kelp as fish) than the simpler devices.

I have had more than one transducer go bad, they are not fool proof. Buy the best unit and transducer you can afford and take time out to learn how to use it. If you will do this it will put you a lot of fish in your boat that you would not of caught without it.

As I understand it, it is not the transducer that fails, but the transducers cable. They tend to get damaged and get water/moisture in them that cause it to fail. That's been my experience fwiw.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Can't go wrong with anything lowrance

I guess I should check more often my tread. Thanks all for the info

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    Can't go wrong with anything lowrance
    Plus One on Lowrance.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!