Thread: Looking for gunsmith in Kenai area...

Default Looking for gunsmith in Kenai area...

... other than Gator guns, because stuff just sits there.

I need to have a ramp style front sight sweated, probably a 10 minute job for a person with knowledge and a torch. Someone soldered the sight on crooked many years ago on a Swede Mauser I have and it either needs to be removed or moved over.

Might be better off with a plumber.......

Well not your normal Joe the plumber.

Soldering steel is nothing like copper, steel won’t wick the solder in like brass, copper, silver, gold, etc, solder just beads and runs right off hot steel. It takes a lot more with steel, you prep about like copper, clean well and flux. Next (unless you have silver solder in a sheet) you got to melt the solder onto each side so it bonds to the steel (kind of paint it on a bit at a time at just the right heat) so it will be in place before you put the parts together. Then put the two sides together well lined up in a way that once the solder flows you can squish together and clamp (in the correct spot) till cool . . . Which seems to take just about forever.

Very tricky and takes a lot of mess ups to get it mastered hence the crooked sight on his rifle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well not your normal Joe the plumber.

Soldering steel is nothing like copper, steel won’t wick the solder in like brass, copper, silver, gold, etc, solder just beads and runs right off hot steel. It takes a lot more with steel, you prep about like copper, clean well and flux. Next (unless you have silver solder in a sheet) you got to melt the solder onto each side so it bonds to the steel (kind of paint it on a bit at a time at just the right heat) so it will be in place before you put the parts together. Then put the two sides together well lined up in a way that once the solder flows you can squish together and clamp (in the correct spot) till cool . . . Which seems to take just about forever.

Very tricky and takes a lot of mess ups to get it mastered hence the crooked sight on his rifle.
    Could you unsweat it for me Andy? I'll be up there for Thanksgiving.

Does that new gun painter next to J-B do any gunsmithing?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yup I can do it, it will take more than ten minuets though. Drop it off when you get here pick up when you head back south kinda deal.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona