Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis in .308 win for use in AK

Question Savage Axis in .308 win for use in AK

Hello fellow forummagers,

My co-worker is planning on selling his .308 win Savage Axis XP and I was wondering if it is worth it for use in AK.
    I mainly hunt seals (compare it to deer hunting to keep it easy) from the boat (I live in rural AK on the coast, hence my native name) and also like to go back into the hill and go for caribou, reindeer, etc.
    I have never owned a .308/7.62x51 and know they have power within ideal range.
    I only own one Savage, a .22 magnum for small game.

Is it worth it?

Also, I've priced it out and its pretty inexpensive as he is offering wholesale, and no shipping 'charges' to its price.

Any and all input is welcome,
    Quyanna - Thank you!

I've hunted quite a lot with the .308WIN cartridge in a few different rifles. If you shoot straight and use decent bullets it will do everything you describe.

Although I haven't hunted seal, I have shot a lot of deer with the cartridge and the results are more than sufficient. I've also shot some caribou with the cartridge and it works just fine. Not much experience with the Axis rifle but I imagine it shoots better than the price tag would indicate as typical of newish Savages. If it's a good deal I wouldn't let the .308 chambering dissuade you at all.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

IMO, nothing wrong with a 308 in AK.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nothing wrong with the Edge/Axis either. You will find that everything is built inexpensively, but it all works. I personally did not care for the magazine or the stiff bolt on the .270 I owned. People also object to the flimsy stock, but it didn't bother me. My youngest still shoots an Axis in .223 and is deadly with it.

You can kill every animal in North America with a .308 and a well placed shot.

My sons use .22magnum on Seals, and like me, for Fur and small game, or Caribou crossing the river. Hard to beat that, a .308 and a 12 gauge for an all around Hunting battery. Im a big fan of 7.62X54r, the sons Hunt Oogruk, Walrus and Beluga with theirs, same velocity and bullet weight as most .308w, 150 or so grains.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nothing wrong with a .308 or Axis. My father has shot .308 win exclusively since 1971 and swears by it. My son has an axis in .243 and it is a perfectly good functional gun.

Thanks!!

Im searching for accessories (extra stocks, bipods, pica-tinny rails) and am really wanting this .308.
    I held it earlier and liked how lightweight it is. I think I'll get it
    Do you guys know of any accessories for the Axis?

Nanauq2013

Any bipod will work that fits on a sling stud.
    The picatinny you want is this http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage...l-scope-mount/
    There are no aftermarket stocks for these rifles as they have a built-in magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    the sons Hunt Oogruk, Walrus and Beluga with theirs,
    Watched your son and Agnes hunt Oogruk a couple days ago on TV. Glad to see the show back for another season....

I hunt Seal here in Southeast with a .22-250, .223, .243 or .22 magnum (same goes for Sea Otters). Sure a .308 will work but its over kill. I like .308, .338 win mag, and .243 for deer.

But heck if you like the gun buy it, it will work. I have seen people with only one gun to their name use their 30-06 for seals.

Sobie2

the .308 is a perfect gun for most Alaska hunts. You have a wide variety of grains that you can shoot and the .308 has lots of knock down power and shoots well at 300+yards. Its a winner!

I don't know about Alaska and the .308 Win., but over the years my cousin has killed 22 Rocky Mountain elk, numerous Mule deer, and one Idaho Shiras bull moose with his Winchester 70 Lightweight in .308 Win. I've killed a number of Mule deer bucks with my Rem. 700 .308 Win., and never had any trouble killing them.

As others said, shoot accurately with a good bullet and you'll have no problems.

Good luck.

L.W.

I finally shot it. I really liked it, although I couldn't sight it in since I replaced the factory rear scope base from my old Rem700 SA factory.
    I think I didn't tighten the mount/ring enough since I found it rattling as I showed my dad (a devout .270 shooter.)
    I put a nikon prostaff 2-7x30 on it and it was about 18-24" high at 175ish yards...
    I think my .223 has had enough of the 4-12x mil-dot and could be stocked with a UTG or something inexpensive.

Now, any good scope ideas that aren't going to break my bank? I'm ordering a EWG picatinny 0 MOA so I'm suited for 500- yards.

Just got my Leupold VXII 3X9 X40 back from the factory as new,silver. You can get it for $250.00.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No thanks,

I ordered a 4-12 Bushnell, rings, and the EGW picatinny for just about that price already. I plan on needing the 12x for longer range shooting as it is a DOA reticule (like the Nikon BDC)

Zeiss or nothing!

Too broke to order a fancy scope, plus it'd probably break and a walrus would eat me.
    After reading about the Bushnell trophy XLT DOA 4-12x.
    After reading some reviews, I think I'll send it back and order another Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuaq2013 View Post
    After reading about the Bushnell trophy XLT DOA 4-12x.
    After reading some reviews, I think I'll send it back and order another Nikon.
    Could have saved you some time with that.......not a whole lot of Bushnell lovers around here.......

In this country , Leupold seems to be the longest lasting scopes. I dont use them, but its a simple observation. as well, Leupod services ther stuff with no problems.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Could have saved you some time with that.......not a whole lot of Bushnell lovers around here.......
    Yeah…not a whole lot of love for Bushnell.

The world is awash in good quality scopes at reasonable prices- I've used Vortex, Leupold, Nikon….all pretty decent with good customer service.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast