Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Anchorage Gun Stores to buy from

Default Favorite Anchorage Gun Stores to buy from

I am coming to Anchorage from Juneau for a day trip and I am thinking I am going to take home a new rifle, scope, and ammo if I can find it.

I am looking for a Ruger Compact Laminate stainless 16.5" barrel in either .308 or .243
    I have a lot of .308 and no .243 ammo. I really want one in .243 though
    I want to buy a Bushnell Elite 2-7 x 32 scope (used to be Elite 3200).

Here are the places I have been in the past:

1st stops:
    Great Northern Guns
    Mountain View Sports
    Sportsman Warehouse

2nd stops:
    Fred Meyer
    Walmart
    Big Five Sports (or who ever is that sporting goods store at the end of the mall with Sportsman Warehouse

So where else can I go? Should I just call ahead from these outfits? I'd rather not have to run all over town. Which store might happen to have 22lr?

Thanks,
    Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I am coming to Anchorage from Juneau for a day trip and I am thinking I am going to take home a new rifle, scope, and ammo if I can find it.

I am looking for a Ruger Compact Laminate stainless 16.5" barrel in either .308 or .243
    I have a lot of .308 and no .243 ammo. I really want one in .243 though
    I want to buy a Bushnell Elite 2-7 x 32 scope (used to be Elite 3200).

Here are the places I have been in the past:

1st stops:
    Great Northern Guns
    Mountain View Sports
    Sportsman Warehouse

2nd stops:
    Fred Meyer
    Walmart
    Big Five Sports

So where else can I go? Should I just call ahead from these outfits? I'd rather not have to run all over town

Thanks,
    Sobie2
    I'm sure others can talk in more detail about most of the shops, but there is not Big 5 here in Alaska, so don't waste time looking for them. Personally, if you know pretty much what you are looking for then I would do like you mentioned, just call ahead to each of the locations and see what they might have or be able to get by the time you get here. That will save a lot of travel time if you don't have to shop around and likely return to one or more shops before making a final purchase.

I would make Boondocks in Eagle River my first stop. They been my go to store for decades and well worth the drive from where I live on the hillside to Eagle River.

I'll second the recommendation for Boondocks in Eagle River. That said, bring cash or check, as they don't take credit cards.

What you're thinking of as Big Five or whatever, is a Sports Authority. I quit looking for 22LR ammo in Anchorage-too frustrating. I just bring a bunch back every time I go to the Lower 48. Sportsmans "usually" has 243 ammo available. Standard stuff runs about $1.00 per round plus a tad bit more. Premium stuff is about $30-35 a box. I picked up a box of TSX triple shock in 243 at Great Northerns but I'm ashamed to post here how much I paid for it. Don't know what I was I thinking.

Hard to swing a good'deal with any of them this year, they have all had record firearms sales, swimming in profits, and not motivate.........But this time next year they will be crying. Cabela's and Bass Pro are going to open a #10 can of woop'ARSE......on'em.

Gunrunners on Northern Lights is always worth a stop.

Sportsman Warehouse

Great Northern Guns n Boondocks for me. I really like the guys at Great Northern though, and thoroughly enjoy Bs'n with em.

With that said, the cheapest place to get a ruger, is the Bx/Px, they get insane discounts.

I used to like that little gun shop over in east Anchorage... I think it was off Ermine or thereabouts. It was an old fashioned kind of shop.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't have any favorites anymore.

It's usually a waste of time to shop at any of'em. Inventory is DOWN. I went to 2 stores in Anch. on Tuesday. They both had quite a selection of Henry Rifles. I'm thinkin that may be bout all they can find these days. In the Vallley, I like 3 Bears.

I suggest, doing as was suggested, and call ahead first. It might save you some disappointment.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Great Northern Guns n Boondocks for me. I really like the guys at Great Northern though, and thoroughly enjoy Bs'n with em.

With that said, the cheapest place to get a ruger, is the Bx/Px, they get insane discounts.
    Bx/Px?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

~Sportsman's Warehouse

~Great Northern Guns

~Three Bears (a Costco with Guns in the Valley)

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Bx/Px?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Base Exchange on JBER, need to be military or a veteran I think.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I always like Mountain View Sports when I lived there…they used to have a counter guy that really knew his stuff, Maury I think- might be gone now, it's been awhile.

Staff that knows which end the bullet comes out of is rare enough these days to merit some business.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I will cast an additional vote towards Boondocks. Always have gotten a fair deal.
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

GNG had a couple laminate Ruger Compacts last time I was there. Sportsmans has so many Ruger, Remington, and Savage bolt guns my eyes just glaze over.

Why bother with Anch? You want something SPECIFIC. Shop the internet dealers and have it sent to your local FFL.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Staff that knows which end the bullet comes out of is rare enough these days to merit some business.
    Well then you'll like this story. I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Tampa, FL two weeks ago at the gun counter, trying to ask a sales guy where to find some camping gear for my son's first Boy Scout camp out. The sales guy was showing a Beretta shotgun to a customer, who asked the clerk his opinion of the Beretta as compared to the similar Browning. The clerk's response was, and I quote: "I don't know. I don't own any guns." At which point I blurted out "You don't own any guns and yet you work at a gun store!?" For some reason, it kind of pissed me off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast