Thread: Gear down mod

Default Gear down mod

Has anyone taken a basic long track trail machine and geared it down so it would tow better? If so, how did it work out? I have a trail sled that's ok, but would be way better with permanent low range.

I geared down my Indy 500 by putting 8 tooth drivers on it and a 1 1/2" paddle, it made a huge difference. Not as much top end but tows my gear sled and plays in powder now.

A gear change would be the easiest and cheapest way IMO. Going down a tooth on your top (jackshaft) gear would prob only cost you the gear and a few ounces of chaincase lube, (possibly a shorter chain but more than likely not). That would give a noticeable towing increase.

Going from 9 tooth to 8 tooth drivers is about a 12% reduction, necessary for a 1.5 tall track. When I gear down in the chaincase, I usually drop 1 tooth on top and add 2 on the bottom for about 12% reduction and use the stock chain. I prefer the geardown 'cause then I have spare parts.

Polaris and Arctic Cat have tables that list the ratio's from various gear changes both up and down. Just tell the shop what you want to do. Not all ratio's can be supported, you have-to-have the correct gears. They only run about $25 each for the top and double that for the bottom. Less expensive to change gears than drivers.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Depending on the machine, what about changing out your primary's helix and weights to get a wider ratio? A lot of trail machines are geared low enough, but the weights and helix won't allow them to stay in the low gear long enough.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Some sleds also have more than one hole in the secondary for the spring tang which will allow more resistance to stay in a lower ratio, longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gogglefurnace View Post
    Some sleds also have more than one hole in the secondary for the spring tang which will allow more resistance to stay in a lower ratio, longer.
    I always found that was more for allowing you to get your max RPMs back up as you climbed higher and your HP dropped off. If the secondary was too stiff, I would always find my sheaves getting stinking hot.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    Has anyone taken a basic long track trail machine and geared it down so it would tow better? If so, how did it work out? I have a trail sled that's ok, but would be way better with permanent low range.
    IMO, it's a waste of money. a change to gearing or drivers doesn't change the fact that the machine is still equipped with a worthless-pleasure-craft primary and secondary clutch. It's better to just get a work sled that has the clutching/gearing perfection that you're looking for. an additional low gear may even come with the machine, depending on what machine you get.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    IMO, it's a waste of money. a change to gearing or drivers doesn't change the fact that the machine is still equipped with a worthless-pleasure-craft primary and secondary clutch. It's better to just get a work sled that has the clutching/gearing perfection that you're looking for. an additional low gear may even come with the machine, depending on what machine you get.
    So it's cheaper to sell the sled you already have and buy a new one, instead of spending 100 bucks on an afternoon mod? You lost me on that one

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    You lost me on that one

sent from my igloo
    now don't git too lost out there in internet space, cowboy.

Example:

Friend had an older 550 actic cat trail sled. After borrowing my 440 bearcat to haul a load of freight, he sold his 550 and bought my 440 bearcat with the money he got from his 550 trail sled.

making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    now don't git too lost out there in internet space, cowboy.

Example:

Friend had an older 550 actic cat trail sled. After borrowing my 440 bearcat to haul a load of freight, he sold his 550 and bought my 440 bearcat with the money he got from his 550 trail sled.

making sense?
    I can't believe you sold the ol' 440........
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.