Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody doing any catching?

Default Anybody doing any catching?

Well I just thought i would like to see some pictures of peoples catches so far. All i have caught is a snowshoe in a fox snare.

It's best to wait for the fur to prime up. Usually from Dec on..

And some snow would be nice!!!! Might just have to use the atv to get started this year!!!
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Almost! Goofed up and had my snares a touch too low, had five separate sets that a fox walked right over because of it. Raised them up a couple inches and planning on checking this weekend. I'm curious as to what this crazy weather is gonna do to all the critters running around out there...
    Ryan from Wasilla

Got a nice male red fox yesterday. Set some snares out today for lynx that I saw tracks of before the snow melted. Wolves were active last night too. Chasing hares i suspect.

It's prime now. Days are short enough and the red I got yesterday was mega prime.

Theres no way lynx are primed up now. Along with otters, beavers and just about everything eles.Yes K9's may be starting to prime up now but still would be even nicer in another month or later..

I'm gonna start setting for marten this weekend but I won't set a lynk trap till December...............
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

TC, yeah, your pretty good to go with trapping the weasle family right now except for otter. Then again you don't want to wait too long on otter for the risk of singing on the pelt..

River isn't even frozen up yet to run on for otter. k9's, marten, and wolverine should be good, I don't mess with beaver till March. We hardly have any snow but I see on the forecast that it's going to get down around -20 at night so things should start freezing up good soon..............

Chalk up another red female this time. Fur was nice. No blue belly, pure white skin. Had fleas though. It was very muddy so after skinning, I gave it a nice soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of cold water with so dog flea shampoo in it. That fixed them.

I bet they are. The fox I have been getting are all white skinned, no brown or blue skins. That blue is the blood flowing to grow new fur after it has been shed. The fact that it is white means the fur has stopped growing. I bet anything above water is prime.

Manokotak birder I gotta disagree , I'm 12 air mile away from you and the fox are far from prime here wait till you see one in January lynx aren't ready yet either. Mink are ok and otter are too for the most part wolves and yote will be in the same shape as the fox. Dry one of the fox and you will see how blue they really are
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

threw the snowshoes on and went for a walk and saw some otter tracks on a small frozen creek, hope he comes back through..............

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    It's best to wait for the fur to prime up. Usually from Dec on..
    Pretty much true and they are still getting better after Dec 1st especially lynx where waiting two weeks can bring an extra $150 or even more in November the belly hair is short and they have a brownish look to the back hair where the guard hair is not in yet.

I am a fur buyer here out west and I tell the trappers we don't want November Lynx at all and fox till after Turkey Day even then they are still blue skinned and not fully prime but they do have decent value by then.

On the other hand some furs like Marten will be well worth trapping as soon as the season opens they will grade I-II but still bring great money due to high prices I encourage folks to get after them as soon as season opens but if you have a line all to your self and can wait for them to prime a bit you will get more grade Select in Dec so it can be worth the wait also.

The lynx I saw a week ago was all silver. I was 15 feet away with a 12 gauge and let him go. The 2 fox I have gotten so far are prime. They are white skinned. I have been trapping for 40 years folks. When I was a kid, we would be trapping in Kansas by now, let alone up here in Alaska where the days are way shorter already, and temps much colder.

Didn't mean to turn this into a pissin match. As you folks must know, fur primes earlier or later in various locations. Regional times vary as well. I don't have the answers as to why fur is prime here and not where you are. Maybe it is. Have you checked? You can't go by a set date on a calendar to decide primeness of fur. You have to lay hands on, blow into the fur etc. There is no doubt that fur is prime come December, but the fur I have touched this year is prime 2 weeks before that. Don't know what else I can say. Have a good one.

On average, fur primes in Kansas where I am from around Dec 1st. By comparison, Kansas City is having 10 hours of daylight today vs our 7 1/2 hours here. Everyone knows that daylight or lack there of is what primes fur. The hares and ptarmigan have been white here for a month now. Fur is prime enough for me and my foxes. They have great color, (no straw color), big beefy tails and nice thick pelts.

Let me take another stab at this...fur is not prime yet it is salable to a certain degree but you will be docked because it is not prime enough the white skin inside that you speak of is a illusion if you dry that skin it will turn very blue as it dries you can prove us all wrong and post a picture of the inside of the DRIED skin if its a cream color when its dried its prime....... so lets see it

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjeff View Post
    Let me take another stab at this...fur is not prime yet it is salable to a certain degree but you will be docked because it is not prime enough the white skin inside that you speak of is a illusion if you dry that skin it will turn very blue as it dries you can prove us all wrong and post a picture of the inside of the DRIED skin if its a cream color when its dried its prime....... so lets see it

Fortunately for you, I don't dry my pelts. I tan them myself for mittens and hats that I make. Folks have been trapping in Minnesota now for a month. Poor worthless pelts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast