Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Drahthaar Breeder?

Default Local Drahthaar Breeder?

I am just tossing this idea out to you dog guys. I have a very good Drahthaar female and am considering starting up a kennel in the Eagle River area. As far as I know there is no active DD breeders in Alaska. I am looking to see if there is a need for these versatile dogs in Alaska? I hunt lots of different species of game in Alaska and the lower 48 with these dogs.

For me to get up and running is a huge investment in time and money. Pups would likely sell in the $1000 to $1500 range at 8-10 weeks old.

If this is all "greek" to you and you want to know more about the breed do a search for VDD Dogs or check out the JGV-USA site on the net.
    Thanks in advance for serious and thoughful comments.
    Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I for one would be interested in one. I am doing research now and looking up L48 breeders. I won't be in a position for another year or two. I got your pm and sent one back. Any times better than others to call?

Don,
    Just as an FYI, I did once see a email address for a breeder in Fairbanks, never followed up on it so I don't know if they still exist.
    In the meantime I will be giving you a call one of these days if you are going to be around. I would like to talk training & will likely be in need of a lot of assistance, so let me know when would be a good time. I could always try & find my way back out to your shop as well & discuss it over a beverage.

Breeding a Drahthaar is a complicated procedure. I've been hunting behind them for thirty plus years in Alaska. I have pups sent up to Alaska from the lower 48. While it is a bit of a pain going through all the shipping hassles, the email and online info, makes it pretty easy to choose a pup. I don't think Alaska is lacking in good hunting Drahthaars. You can get one in 3-5 hours on the airlines. One limitation to be aware of when ordering a pup is the airlines will only ship on a non-stop flight. No transferring to another flight or airline allowed. You may have to get help from a friend to pickup a pup and help ship to a city, that has non-stop service to Alaska. Keep that in mind when looking for a breeder.

Piper,

I've often wondered how these dogs are in temperament. I've used short hairs and Labs to hunt for years, some times together and others by themselves. Labs are hard workers but tend to lay at you feet at home and the Short Hairs are into everything and won't take no if you go somewhere. I guess the Drahts are the same energy wise. My best Short Hair was Baron Vom Doggledorff...Barry for short...he was a wonderful dog and I miss him a lot. We lost our two Labs last year...one was 2 weeks short of 18 and we're are still thinking about what to get. My wife is thinking about a Griffon and I keep thinking about a GWP and they are pretty much the same dog but I'm just not sure I can keep up with a puppy anymore. I'm having knee surgery in a couple days...guess we'll see how that goes before I make a decision on a new dog....either way, I gotta be ready for trout in the spring.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I see your listed as from Idaho. Not sure how far you are from these 2 guys but I know them both and they are stand up guys.
    vom Mauntinhoum
    Joseph Kelly
    11120 Mohawk Dr.
    Boise ID , 83709
    208-867-5351
    vommauntinhoum@msn.com

vom Orion
    Paul Trout
    18369 Chicken Dinner Rd.
    Caldwell ID , 83607
    208-454-8271
    vomorion@sitestar.net
    Website

I grew up wiht a father that raised GSP's for something like 35 years. I like Shorthairs. Went to the DD for more hair, maybe better suited for colder climates here in Alaska?
    I have 2 DD's
    My 2 yera old female is wired for sound and a real rocket but she is easy to handle and easy to have in the house.
    My 10 month old male is quiet but he is busy, like any puppy.
    Our 4.5 yera old lab is easy in the house, good in the field but no where near the work hourse in the field as my female DD.
    DD's are known to have a good on and off switch. I think with training you will have that switch.
    Both Paul and Joe will be able to speak to that and both have a ton of experience. Not sure if they are anywhere close to you.
    Don

Yeah lowrider, I switched from GWP to DD for the better temperament and hunting skills. Being in Sandpoint, lowrider you can deal with any breeder who is a non-stop flight from Spokane. I was in Sandpoint, visiting my folks when I picked up my last pup. He came out of Wyo via Denver- Spokane. He spent a couple weeks on Pend Oreille lake, before I drove over to Seattle and shipped him North on Alaska Airlines.

The DD is a very intelligent dog, who needs to be given something to do. In the Winter, when the bird hunting drops off, I ski-jor behind them. They out pull any other breed. Their endurance is phenomenal. As long as you include them in some activity everyday. They are happy. They love to hunt and run in the fields and woods. They will swim in cold water all day long. They are strong swimmers and can retrieve a goose in the water. They will turn-off at home and play with the kids or lay around and rest. They will let you know when something is around. My five month old pup jumped up and growled at a 1200lb moose that was cruising through hunting camp. He turned that Bull 90 degrees. They are very loyal and fearless when protecting you. But they are not mean or fighters with other dogs. My DDs and GWPs have had numerous run-ins with wolves and I have not lost one yet to those big canines. I had to use my supercubs tundra tire on a large wolfs head one time in the ANWR. But that is another story...

Duckdon,

I'm 60 miles south of the Canadian border and way north of your friends but thanks for passing on the info on them and the DD's.

Piper,

Good info from you and Don on the DD's. It sounds like there is a well disciplined dog inside there somewhere that can be brought out with some time and attention. I mainly want one as a bunny and spruce chicken dog but then I have a duck boat and a big lake to hunt on just down the road. We have rafts of several hundred ducks all over the lake now but I suppose they will be gone south with the cold air that just came in. We have way too many wolves here too. My barber's son just killed 4 this weekend. Our moose are little bitty compared to AK but then we have a lot of nice elk as well.

I need to give the DD's some serious thought and some research too. I suppose they would be happy in a canoe or plane as well. Thanks again guys for the info!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

yes I will want one if you do breed.tried to pm you a while back to seeif you were goingto have any pups.I'm not comfortable doing the out of state shipping thing.

Don,

How's this for a New Years resolution? I am planning to breed a litter this year. Working out the logistics if sending "Lark" to the L-48 will be the tough part. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Hopefully, pups in the fall, but Mother Nature has something to say about the timing.

-TOM

Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    Don,

How's this for a New Years resolution? I am planning to breed a litter this year. Working out the logistics if sending "Lark" to the L-48 will be the tough part. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Hopefully, pups in the fall, but Mother Nature has something to say about the timing.

-TOM
    Tom.
    That's a great idea........ if you woke up after the party and remember your resolution. Did you pass it by the boss and get her OK?
    Keep me posted. Do you have a male dog in mind? Your JGV-USA breed warden is Lona Kluck. She is a great gal and she will help you pick a male if you want her assistance.
    Good Luck
    Don

Don,

Yep we have a male picked out and Erin is excited about the whole project. The idea for this litter is to breed Lark to Odessa's father. When it gets closer (mid-summer) I will put together an information package for folks that express interest and proceed from there. Did you get your girl through the breed show? I noticed there are a few coming up on the schedule.

There is pile of snow up here and it's really warm today so I'm gonna get the fuzz faced dogs off the couch and go out for a speedy little evening skijor behind them! Happy Hunting!

-TOM

You skijor behind two of those at the same time? I'm only brave enough for one Drahthaar at a time.

You should publish the score numbers and other pert info on the breeding parents. I'd be interested if I didn't have an eight month old pup already to train. When do you first harness your DDs to skijor, what age? I have been waiting until they are at or past their first year.

Pipercub,

Congrats on the new recruit. If you are around Fairbanks let me know if you need some help training or a hunting partner. At the risk of hijaking Don's thread I will commit to do some advertising of that sort when things get closer, at a minimum under litter announcements on the VDD-GNA website. www.vdd-gna.org/. This far out, someone who is really interested in that sort of thing could pm me and we could talk.

As for skijoring, Sometimes I have even connected 3 dogs but that works out best when it is a wide open groomed trail. I think at six months or whenever they are big enough to fit in the harness they can do some non-strenuous short skijors. Just let them pull a little bit to get used to the harness. I would wait for a year or more before letting them really go at it so the joints can develop. Today Erin skied with one and I took the other and we all had smiles cruising the Goldstream Valley.

-TOM

Hey Tom, nice warm day for skiing. My last DD was retired from skiing at 13. I had two GWP before that. Awesome skijor dogs all. This one I have now may be the fastest of them all. I have to let him grow a bit more. He's at 63lbs now. (8 months) this Spring (late) I'll give him a go...
    Good luck on the pups, Fairbanks could use some more bearded dogs.

Curious if there was an update on any breeding taking place up here?

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    Curious if there was an update on any breeding taking place up here?
    Just got Josey through her breed show in mid May so everything is done breed standard wise. Not sure when we will breed her but the requirement stuff is done. No date set yet. Her heat cycles have been fall and early spring.

Don

I would be more than happy to help or give you encouragement to do this! I am hoping to pick up another pup next spring. DDs are such a fun dog to train even though you want to pull your hair out somedays haha. I see a huge need for these dogs in Alaska. I used my DD back in Minnesota for upland, waterfowl, fur (rabbit hunting would be a blast in AK) and for blood tracking deer. My dog would spend hours swiming out at my cabin even right after ice out with no problems. Once you go DD you never go back!!

Nice work Don and Josie! That's a good deal of effort to get through the breeding requirements!

I sent a pm to Floorguy. If anyone else is interested in my planned Drahthaar litter send me a pm. My best estimste is the breeding will be just before the end of 2015. Pups would go home in April.

-Tom

Pups would go home April 2015 that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast