Thread: fixes for fy kids gun

Default fixes for fy kids gun

I just picked up( at a very reasonable price) a Winchester model 70 Cooey (30-06) its kinda rare but not worth much its a shorter barrel rifleand has iron sights. I am going to try and scope it up and have a muzzlebreak put on. it has open sights the rear gunsight lays down and flips up so it shouldnt interfere with the scope after it is installed this is my question ....I have never seen a open sight hunting riflle with a muzzle break ......will the front sight interfere with the instalation

this rifle is intended for my ten year old and will be used by my daughter when she is ready.
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    this is my question ....I have never seen a open sight hunting riflle with a muzzle break ......will the front sight interfere with the instalation
    Maybe, maybe not. There are lots of rifles wearing iron sights and muzzle brakes, but some must be tweaked to make work........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I am not hell bent on keeping the sights....I would choose the break over the sights if the sights had to go....what kind of tweeking would probably have to take place if it needed it?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It probably depends on how much barrel length is needed for the brake threads.

Andy, (ADfields) could probably tell you.

However it seems a shame to put a brake on a gun to reduce recoil, so a younger person can shoot it, because of the noise, and resultant ear damage.

For me, it would be a shame to lose the iron sights also. I like to have them, so if they're there, I wanna keep them.

There's a better, cheaper, and more practical solution too.

There are managed recoil FLs to if you can find them.

If you're a handloader, or know one, you could make some light loads using 150 grain bullets, with the low end powder charge, and that would reduce the recoil.

You could even load down to 30-30 velocities and use 30-30 150 grain bullets, if you wanted to go that far.

Less bullet weight and less powder will reduce the recoil, and your gun is unchanged.

I sure don't know, but the gun may be worth more, as is, than with the brake.

I never heard of a Mdl 70 Cooey. I'll hafta look that up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Is it a Cooey Mdl 71, built somewhat like a Winchester Mdl 70? Push Feed, and safety on the side?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I am not hell bent on keeping the sights....I would choose the break over the sights if the sights had to go....what kind of tweeking would probably have to take place if it needed it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It probably depends on how much barrel length is needed for the brake threads.

Andy, (ADfields) could probably tell you.
    Smitty is right.

I'd be curious if the front sight ramp is soldered or screwed in place. Is it a ramp or banded front sight? How far from the end of the barrel does the front sight rest? What type of brake are you wanting to use? In most cases a gun can be Mag-na-ported, which is not the same thing--but similar, regardless of the iron sights and is another option to investigate.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

You need at least ˝” of barrel in front of the sight/ramp for a thread on brake. Almost certainly would need to move the sight so how its attached becomes critical, taped holes or dovetails in that ˝” could be trouble.

Along with Smitty’s suggestions I’d look into recoil reducing stocks, something like a Bump Buster pad, or maybe adding some lead to the but of the stock you have.

Brakes do reduce recoil but girls often flinch from the sound shockwave as much or more than getting smacked and any muzzle device is likely to make as many issues as it fixes.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Buy yourself a pound or two of trail boss powder and some bulk 125-150 gr bullets. It makes for a very reduced load that is fairly quiet and recoils like a 22 mag. A pound goes a long way and trigger time is the most important thing when teaching kids to shoot. The managed recoil loads from remington are 125gr bullets at 30-30 velocities and works well on whitetails

you guys make good points .....there are plenty of muzzle break and anti muzzzle break arguments. I am not adding this feature to make the rifle more valuable. I want to reduce the recoil so an 8 year old girl can shoot it in a couple of years. I have have had a few rifles and some had breaks and all of the rifles that had breaks were more accurate. and with proper hearing protection the muzzle break is easy (even for children ) to deal with. I believe that with this gun they will be given a decent range and proper energy and since the breaks usually help accuracy and reduce recoil they will have a full powered 30-06 that wont give them scope bite.

I however didnt look into Mag-na-port. I usually thought shotgun and pistol when I thought of thisdefinetly another option so I could keep the iron sights

I do reload .....and understand the thought that I could cut the powder and lighten the bullet.... but my thought would be that the reduction of recoil would let me find the best performing and most consistent load for the rifle. I do not want to limit myself to a couple light 30-30 by keeping the recoil around It limits my options in that area

as for the rest of the questions I will get pics of the rifle and post them so you can see

and Smitty I will check on the model for you .....it may be a 71

Default fixes for fy kids gun

I recently went thru this same process with my 10 year old son. This biggest issue is you don't want to hurt them with the gun. Even the standard reduced loads will be too much for an 8 yr old unless that 8yr old has had a LOT of trigger time. The trailboss loads will give you "mouse loads" running 150s around 1400fps. I bet my son probably shot 250-300 of these much reduced loads in my 308 before he ever tried a standard load. I know other kids who were started off to fast and developed a fear of the gun, I even know a few adults that developed the same issues by no working thier way up to heavier recoil.

Another issue is gun fit. The better if fits the kids the better they will shoot. I put a collapsable stock on my 308 so I could get it to 10" length of pull. Even with a muzzle break if that gun isn't sized down to fit them well I would not rush them to shooting standard 30/06 loads. A muzzle break is fine and I that is still a good option but won't be enough on its own.

My son is just now starting to get comfortable with standard loads in the 308 after hundreds of reduced loads and shooting thousands of 22rf.

Since you reload you can do super reduced loads to familiarize them with the rifle and then load up some 125 accubonds or 130 TTSX at around 2500fps for a starting hunting load. Either of these bullets will do well at reasonable ranges and help to tame the recoil of the 30/06.

Getting them started gradually will result in a much better marksman down the road and won't hamper them with any bad habits, flinch, that will result if you rush them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    Buy yourself a pound or two of trail boss powder and some bulk 125-150 gr bullets. It makes for a very reduced load that is fairly quiet and recoils like a 22 mag. A pound goes a long way and trigger time is the most important thing when teaching kids to shoot. The managed recoil loads from remington are 125gr bullets at 30-30 velocities and works well on whitetails
    Bingo!

I've used both the Trailboss loads and the Remington Managed Recoil loads for my son. Gets them shooting a real rifle without the hassle. My son will likely be using the Managed Recoil loads for whitetails in TN in January.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit