Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footware for POW deer hunt

Default Footware for POW deer hunt

Getting down to the wire and we are finishing up our packing for POW. I am headed down there on Saturday with my dad and my oldest daughter. The last time I took these guys hunting together, things turned out pretty good. I'll be bringing my bow along, and my daughter will have our .243. I think pops will be toting his 30-06 with him.

My dad won't be able to do a ton of hiking, and my daughter is recovering from an ankle sprain and tendonitis, so we won't be doing much extreme traversing. I am contemplating just taking my extra tuffs instead of my Kenetrek's. What are your thoughts on this? I've done quite a bit of hiking around and hunting in the extra tuffs, so I'm comfortable with them, but I'd like to get some feedback if possible. Would trekking poles be worth bringing down as well?

Thanks in advance!

The Ketchikan Sneakers are hard to beat. There's some Muck boots that are nice too.Trekking poles always come in handy they go with me on nearly every big game hunt. Good luck sounds like it will be a fun time with family.

Xtra Tuffs are fine. Been wearing them all week, no issues typically especially if you aren't climbing. Bucks are dying readily right now.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Ive always worn xtra tuffs in SE. Lots of muskegs and creeks to cross and they arent bad for hiking in either.

Good to hear Mike, hoping to get my daughter a buck more than anything, and it would be nice to bring home a few between all of us to pad the freezer a little.

I think I'll go ahead with the xtra tuffs. Thanks!

My only real concern with Extratuff's is that they offer zero ankle support, so your daughter will want to be especially careful in them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yup, she won't be wearing them just for that reason. I've got her a new set of boots for the hunt. I'm just hoping they are as water proof as they claim.

Any other tips for our hunt? This is our first venture down that way, so any info to lead us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. We'll be renting a truck from Hollis and staying in Klawock.

I spent 10 days in Simms guide pants and Korker's wading shoes with studded rubber sole option. I would highly recommend this system for rainy weather hunts- sit anywhere you want, with no worries bout a wet bum! Its pricey; something to save up for.

XtraTuffs are the way to go unless you have bad ankles.

A walking stick with a gun rest V would be worth carrying for your daughter. A lot of times when you come into a muskeg the best place to call from doesn't offer a great rest to shoot from. Personally I don't carry one but if I was taking someone who might not be a good off hand shot I would consider it a necessity.Most shots will be while standing.

Have faith that the call will work and eventually it will.

Don't forget the crampons best piece of equipment I have ever bought !
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Once moved to China xtratuffs have lost much of their glory in S.E..
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Premium Member

I pretty much ruined my ankle for the season wearing extra tuffs. Rolled an ankle in the mud on Naked Island, and blew out the anterior calcanofibular ligament.

Never again when hiking or hunting. I'll save the extra tuffs for working in the yard. After my ankle heals.

I prefer Irish Setter Rutmasters to Xtra Tuffs. You can get them with or without camo and with or without extra insulation. I like the plain green ones with insulation as shown here: http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/iri...-pull-on-green

They provide much better ankle and arch support as well as much better traction and they aren't big and clunky like Muck boots. They are a pain to put on and take off but with a bit of patience not too bad. You'd end up with hernia if you tried to put them on too fast.

I ran a new pair of LaCross Alpha Burley's over Vet's Day weekend on Admiralty. Two thumbs up from me! IMO - Xtra Tuff's suck except for hiking flat devloped trails and fishing.

I wrote a short review on 24HCF:

Here's my ANALysis. I've used the Alpha's, Muck Woody Max and Xtra Tuffs. XT's don't cut the mustard for me for hunting anything but flats. If there is lots of beach hiking, they're okay. Footbed is soft and traction is so-so. They are more like a waterproof tennis shoe.

The Muck's were pretty good. I ended up puncturing the neoprene upper and they were only watertight to 12". Good traction and warmth. They were very roomy (too roomy) in the footbed. Some ankle support, esp. when compared to the XT's. Buddy was running a neoprene ankle wrap on this boots (don't know brand) to help his ankles. Had to run and insole and two pairs of wool socks to fit right. Didn't not like the rubber lower/neoprene upper interface - it just bugged to crap out of my shins. Also the very top of the boot tended to rub on my calfs too much for my liking - too rigid.

The Alpha's are the best rubber boot I've used to date. Good traction and warmth. Firm shank and lower volume foot bed. Your foot just doesn't have a much slop as the Muck's (I'm a narrow-to-medium foot BTW) The sole is slightly concave so it get good bite side hillling. My buddy was running some air-bob soled rubbers and I smoked him. The neoprene upper is soft and very comfortable against the shin and calf. We'll have to see about durability. The negative is they are HARD to remove. **** near pull your hamstrings getting them off.

+1 on the lacrosse. They are my new go-to SE rubber boot ever since xtra toughs went extra crappy. I skip the trekking poles during the rut hunt. Too much of a pain and noisy in the thick stuff. If you go with leather hiking boots, pair them up with a set of gaiters for all the times you will, and you will, step into one of those hidden muskeg pot holes. Bring a boot dryer so you can start each day with dry boots whatever you choose. Good luck, it's a lot of fun here right now.

Great info, thanks so much everybody!

We wore our Mucks down there last time. Unfortunately, both my daughter and I punctured the neoprene uppers. Her's was low enough that we borrow a pair of XT's from Gooch's wife to finish out the hunt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Knee high Burleys +3
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    pair them up with a set of gaiters for all the times you will, and you will, step into one of those hidden muskeg pot holes.
    Chest waders for some of those really deep holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Xtra Tuffs are fine. Been wearing them all week, no issues typically especially if you aren't climbing. Bucks are dying readily right now.
    Was on POW last week...when the deer weren't dying quite so readily. Took my Xtratuffs and my Scarpa Liskamms...Liskamm's being my preferrred boot for almost everything in Alaska, including walking city streets, but I never put them on. I ended up using the Xtratuffs even for my unplanned 15 - 20 mile walkabout which involved a fair amount of planned climbing and even more unplanned walking through creeks, rocks, over trees, etc.

Xtratuffs are just fine or some of the newer boots that are the same pattern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast