Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe ice.

Default Safe ice.

Anyone know where there is safe ice is yet? Just checking. Long lake Glenn ? I know we need more colder weather. Anyone been checking.

I would never trust anyone that told me the ice was safe with out testing it myself, this early in the year.

I punched 4 holes in Delong yesterday 10" off shore. 2.5-3.0' clear,solid. I drove back by that evening and saw guys out there. I'm going on Friday, pending tomorrow's warm up.

I fished on 2 lakes on Jber last Saturday. I checked every step, never went beyond 5' of water and stuck close to shore. I never seen more than 2.5". I wear a flotation suit, carry ice picks and spud everything and know what I can get away with.

On Monday it was a layer of 4" of slush slightly crusted over with 1" of solid under neath. I'm guessing that'll be fishable Saturday unless it really gets warm tomorrow and rains a lot.

With this cold weather we have now and what's coming as forecasted, I think we are going to be safe everywhere in south central AK as far as getting on these lakes. The time is here boys. Lets get to fishin.... Me and Wesak81 are hittin Matanuska Lake on Saturday if anybodies interested... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I'd be game, ready to get on some ice ASAP!

Fairbanks!
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Well common out man, we will be there round 930 or so. Silver Dodge p/u... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Water View Post
    I'd be game, ready to get on some ice ASAP!

Checked the ice this morning, 4" of ice, top two were frozen solid but you could tell it was slush, bottom two were solid and clear. You guys are good to go in the morning.! Might see ya out there.

I'll be there, newer silver F 150, with a dink wandering around with a spud.

I am here at matanuska lake rite now and there is open water everwhere and what is frozen aint but half an inch. Not sure what lake you went to but it wasn't this one. Still guna fish off the dock tho... "Fishon"

Checked other lakes in the system thought that one be very much the same as I was only up the road. Wild that one is any different.

Just got back from Memory Lake today. Had 6 inches walked across the lake and still about five in the middle. Will be tearing up the pike in the morning. Let you all know how it was.

Because it bigger, deeper, gets more wind. All lakes don't freeze same time, same way, same thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    Checked other lakes in the system thought that one be very much the same as I was only up the road. Wild that one is any different.

Fished an Anchorage lake this weekend with a friend. The ice was 4.5 to 5 inches thick and we picked up around fifty fish between the two of us. We were the first group to fish this lake this year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

With all this cold weather, I wonder how thick the ice is getting. May have to run over to one of the local lakes this weekend and find out.

I fished Mariam and diamond today. Ice was about 8" on Mariam and 10" on diamond.

I am pretty sure that this cold snap is guna put good ice on all the lakes in the south central area. There should be between 8" and 12" of ice on these lakes in Anchorage and in the valley. Of course don't take my word for it and drill holes in the lake until you are satisfied that the ice is safe but I think we are good fellas. Like I said that other day, "Let's get to fishin"... "fishon"

Around the edges, Johnson lake had about 2-3 inches of ice on Sunday. Kids are wanting go do some fishing and skating on that clear ice, hopefully it freezes up good enough before Thursday! Sounds like warmer temps and snow headed our way.

Do mean Marion Lake? If so did you use the public access? From what I remember its a steep hill. How was the fishing? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast