Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Pros and Cons of Applying with a Partner?

  1. #1

    Default Pros and Cons of Applying with a Partner?

    My wife and I are in the process of applying for permits, as we do every year, and I'm considering putting in as a partner application. We normally put in as individuals - the idea being that we'll have two chances to get picked (either of us) rather than one. However, if we apply as partners, it's either both or none.

    Other than both getting tags upon a successful draw, are there any benefits to applying as partners? Does it change the odds at all (in your experience)?

    RW

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HereDuckyDucky View Post
    My wife and I are in the process of applying for permits, as we do every year, and I'm considering putting in as a partner application. We normally put in as individuals - the idea being that we'll have two chances to get picked (either of us) rather than one. However, if we apply as partners, it's either both or none.

    Other than both getting tags upon a successful draw, are there any benefits to applying as partners? Does it change the odds at all (in your experience)?

    RW
    If anything, it lowers the odds of being drawn. For the most part, things stay the same, but if you happen to get selected for the last of the available permits (say permit #50 out of 50 being given out), they will not give it to you since you either get zero or two and they don't have two to give out. They will skip over you and give it out to the next individual in line. The benefit of the draw is usually that it would make a hunt more worth while. Especially on an expensive hunt, having two permits helps to make the expense make sense.

  3. #3
    Member HuntAK59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If anything, it lowers the odds of being drawn. For the most part, things stay the same, but if you happen to get selected for the last of the available permits (say permit #50 out of 50 being given out), they will not give it to you since you either get zero or two and they don't have two to give out. They will skip over you and give it out to the next individual in line. The benefit of the draw is usually that it would make a hunt more worth while. Especially on an expensive hunt, having two permits helps to make the expense make sense.
    I'll play devils advocate here and agree to disagree. It may lower your odds as stated (50/50, or 1/50. But it doubles on the other 49/50. So instead of decreasing your odds by 2%, it increases them by 98%). Because if you get draw, she does too. If she gets drawn, you do too. Good luck, on your drawings that dont conflict with mine
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I'll play devils advocate here and agree to disagree. It may lower your odds as stated (50/50, or 1/50. But it doubles on the other 49/50. So instead of decreasing your odds by 2%, it increases them by 98%). Because if you get draw, she does too. If she gets drawn, you do too. Good luck, on your drawings that dont conflict with mine
    You don't have two chances of being drawn with a party app. It goes in as 1 app. There is just one chance of being drawn, with the result being 2 permits are issued if it's not the last permit.

  5. #5
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    You don't have two chances of being drawn with a party app. It goes in as 1 app. There is just one chance of being drawn, with the result being 2 permits are issued if it's not the last permit.
    Right, if you and your wife each put in separately for the same permit, you have basically double the chance that one of you pulls a permit. And for alot of the permit hunts, harvesting one animal is plenty (imo).

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I'll play devils advocate here and agree to disagree. It may lower your odds as stated (50/50, or 1/50. But it doubles on the other 49/50. So instead of decreasing your odds by 2%, it increases them by 98%). Because if you get draw, she does too. If she gets drawn, you do too. Good luck, on your drawings that dont conflict with mine
    Not quite. CapnMike is correct.

    Here is a quote from the ADF&G "How Does the Random Drawing Work" page: "The computer then randomly assigns a number to each hunt on each valid application. The random number is referred to as your "draw number." Party hunt applications receive one draw number for each hunt. That is, both applicants on the party hunt application receive the same draw number per hunt, so if that number is drawn, both party members receive a permit. " (emphasis added by me)

    Here is a link to that page for reference: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...icense.lottery

  7. #7
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Well, if you both get tags for the same animal but in differrent areas then you either have to pick which one to hunt or have the time/money to hunt both. if you have limited funding/time I'd go party tags as it's one hunt to plan if you get drawn. If money/time is of no concern, put in for single tags.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Well, if you both get tags for the same animal but in differrent areas then you either have to pick which one to hunt or have the time/money to hunt both. if you have limited funding/time I'd go party tags as it's one hunt to plan if you get drawn. If money/time is of no concern, put in for single tags.
    Or you could just both put in individual applications for the same hunt(s) so that you have better odds of getting at least one and not the risk of getting drawn for two different locations. It all depends on your personal situation, like you said. If it's an expensive trip and funding is short, you probably want to make the most of it if you get drawn at all, so you would probably want the party application, all (2 permits) or nothing. If it is an easy trip and worth it for even one animal, then individual applications would provide the best potential odds of getting that with still having the chance of both drawing and still getting two permits.

  9. #9
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Some good discussion here. Anchskier is spot on with the odds of drawing. To me the benefit of doing a party application is when you want a partner with you on your hunt that may not want to be a sherpa without having a permit as well. Makes a lot of sense on some of the sheep permits for instance. However, putting in a party permit with your wife for a bison or moose hunt may not make a lot of sense. Will you be able to eat two bison in a year? Perhaps if you have a big family. Mine couldn't, so we apply for those individually.

    Where it really comes into play is on draws with only a few permits to be awarded. An easy example is when there are only 1-2 permits to be awarded. It obviously doesn't make sense for the case where only 1 permit is to be awarded, because as Anchskier has already pointed out, you won't be drawn as there isn't two permits available. If there are only 2 permits available, then you only have 1 chance to draw....if you are the first one drawn. If you are 2nd, you don't get it.

    If there are say 100 permits to be awarded, then you have 99 chances to draw. The only one that screws you is if you are number 100.

    The only party permits I apply for is DCUA or TMA sheep hunts (lots of permits and easier to get a partner for sheep if he has a tag) and Koyukuk moose (lots of permits and share gas money).

    The other thing I do is I have a "gentleman's" agreement with a friend of mine. If either one of us draw a bison permit, we go together and split the meat. So it's kind of a party permit, but not. Of course, even with our odds "doubled"....we'll probably never get this one.

    As mentioned above, good luck on your applications that don't conflict with mine!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •