Thread: MPRO-7 rust on pistol

Default MPRO-7 rust on pistol

Let me start off by saying i love mpro to oil all my moveing parts and friction pots and iv been useing it exclusively for about 4-5 years. I dont shoot my ruger vaquero that much as im just not that good with it. I took it to the range last month put 100rds through it. Brought it home broke it down cleaned and wiped it down with the oil. So i took it to the range yesterday same routine but as im cleaning it i noticed rust on the flutes in the cylindervand rust on the side. I love mpro but im the type thats very meticulous when it comes to cleaning. Now i think it could possibly be because i stored it in a soft case insted of the box. But i just lubed it up with clp and let it sit before i wiped it. Was this my error or is mpro not that good?

Keep all your guns out of cases for storage.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default rust in cylinder flutes?

Rust in the cylinder flutes sounds really odd! I've seen a lot and have a few myself of well worn and rusty revolvers where the blueing in the flutes was still there as that bluing is protected from the normal wear and rusting where case lining wicks the oil away from the gun surfaces that the case lining contacts.

I use RIG myself but any oil or grease can't protect the gun where it is in contact with a surface that will adsorb that oil or grease. Such adsorbant surfaces also generally absorb moisture from the air - a bad combination. Best ot use VPI waxed and/or treated paper like the gun manufactures use to ship their guns.

I can't imagine why the gun would rust in the flutes. Pehaps someone else has some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik7181 View Post
    Let me start off by saying i love mpro to oil all my moveing parts and friction pots and iv been useing it exclusively for about 4-5 years. I dont shoot my ruger vaquero that much as im just not that good with it. I took it to the range last month put 100rds through it. Brought it home broke it down cleaned and wiped it down with the oil. So i took it to the range yesterday same routine but as im cleaning it i noticed rust on the flutes in the cylindervand rust on the side. I love mpro but im the type thats very meticulous when it comes to cleaning. Now i think it could possibly be because i stored it in a soft case insted of the box. But i just lubed it up with clp and let it sit before i wiped it. Was this my error or is mpro not that good?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I too use RIG for this purpose. I have actually used RIG on a car door to prevent rust until I had the car door repaired.

I too use MPRO7 but wipe my stuff down with http://www.eezox.com/

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Rust in the cylinder flutes sounds really odd! I've seen a lot and have a few myself of well worn and rusty revolvers where the blueing in the flutes was still there as that bluing is protected from the normal wear and rusting where case lining wicks the oil away from the gun surfaces that the case lining contacts.

I use RIG myself but any oil or grease can't protect the gun where it is in contact with a surface that will adsorb that oil or grease. Such adsorbant surfaces also generally absorb moisture from the air - a bad combination. Best ot use VPI waxed and/or treated paper like the gun manufactures use to ship their guns.

I can't imagine why the gun would rust in the flutes. Pehaps someone else has some ideas?
    If the gun is stored in on of those sheepskin cases, and there is moisture on/in the sheepskin, it can cause some surface oxidation on contact, even with MPro7. That's why, supposedly, they recommend against storing in cases.

I love MPro-7 cleaner, but for lubrication and rust protection after cleaning, Break-Free is still king.
    Now what ?

For storage of blued guns, Renaissance Wax has done well for me. My vaquero left in a leather holster has no rust.

For my shooters, frog lube. Again, no rust, and a noticeably smoother action.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

... and don't forget the desiccant packs
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Will the renwax melt off when the barrel gets warm?iv used it on a few knives but never any guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    For storage of blued guns, Renaissance Wax has done well for me. My vaquero left in a leather holster has no rust.

For my shooters, frog lube. Again, no rust, and a noticeably smoother action.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik7181 View Post
    Will the renwax melt off when the barrel gets warm?iv used it on a few knives but never any guns.
    Not sure. The few that I waxed are still put away, they are the ones that rarely come out and are lightly handled.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Im sending it back to have warrenty work done, i thought the front sight was bent, the gunsmith said the barrels not straight. When i get it back im thinking of trying that militec 1 on it but idonno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Not sure. The few that I waxed are still put away, they are the ones that rarely come out and are lightly handled.