Thread: Different knots for braided line?

Default Different knots for braided line?

I'm coming up to the Mat Su Valley ( I was going to say "the valley" but thought that may be too presumptuous of me) next year for silvers.

I keep hearing about how great braided line is. What weight would I use for valley silvers, and do I need to learn any special knots for it? Do I just use the normal line / leader / lure combo?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

It's not that great. I would stick with top of the line mono in 12lb or 15lb for fishing silvers. The braid line is to limp, and has stretch. If you are going to use braid I would go no lighter then 50lb to keep from getting your hands cut up. As for knots, tie what you know just burn the end after you cut off the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    It's not that great. I would stick with top of the line mono in 12lb or 15lb for fishing silvers. The braid line is to limp, and has stretch. If you are going to use braid I would go no lighter then 50lb to keep from getting your hands cut up. As for knots, tie what you know just burn the end after you cut off the tag.
    I tend to agree.... I double up my line and tie standard improved clinch though other knots like palomar and uni supposedly hold with a standard tie.

BUT....if you want to try it, go for it! I use it all the time and love it! For spinner or lure fishing you can feel every tick of the spinner blade or rock. When the silvers smashes it, hold on because the braid has zero stretch. During the battle you feel every twitch of the fish's muscles. For bobber and jig or roe, it can't be beat because it floats. Much easier to set the hook long distance with it floating plus no stretch.

But like MGH55 eluded to, there are plenty of bads. Be careful because you will at some point break a rod as you try and cast and the tip is tangled, It is SUPER DUPER limp. Braided line have one glaring weak point in my opinion. Tie 10lbs braid to a swivel then tie 10 lbs mono to the other end. Tie off either end and yank really hard and sharp (not pull), the braid will break. I bet the braid breaks against 8lbs mono. Shock absorption factor is low. The braid frays like crazy. You can't go direct to a lure if there are any rocks. You need some mono or fluoro leader. Not so much for visibility, my experience is the fish don't care. But for abrasion resistance.

The braids as mentioned are like razor wire. Step up in line weight unless your specific application requires super thin line. I use 50 and 65 pound test for pretty much everything. MUCH easier to handle. But I typical will add a leader of fluoro to tie my gear to. Also because they have no stretch, you need to either compensate with a softer action rod or just understand that slack develops very quickly...like every time the fish turns more than your rod is bent. With mono that stretches 10 to 20%, it is a lot more forgiving.

If I had to choose one line for silvers in the valley, It would definitely be mono. But my most "fun" equipment I use for coho sized fish has braid on it! My ultra light with braid advantage of small reel due to thin line, and can set hooks on bigger fish despite ultralight rod due to no stretch. My float rod for the reasons mentioned above.

I use a braid on my spinning set up and mono on my bait caster. That braid peels off so smooth it easily adds 2x the distance to my cast and has no memory so it doesnt bunch up.

It is ridiculously tough unless you get a side cut while it has tension on it. Example... caught a snag and **** near busted the pole. It pulled the boat around the line was so strong. Then caught a 20 lb king and it hit the anchor line as it was wizzing by the front of the boat and the line popped quick.

As mentioned it is limp which can be a pain if its windy or your fingers are cold. Like I said I always carry 2 rods with different line so I can switch if the occasion calls for it. I use 30lb because its a compromise between thin line and strength. Any heavier and it feels like your fishing with rope which Ill leave for my halibut rod.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks guys,

If I go with mono in 12lb or 15lbs, what weight leader should I use? How long?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

none, the more knots the more weak spots.

I thought I needed at least one "weak link" in case I get snagged on something?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

I've only used braid (Power Pro 20 and 30 lb) for two seasons now, but I really like the stuff. It casts very well off my spinning reels, easily getting 40-50' longer casts than mono or fluoro. Memory is minimal and it flies off the spool. As for knots, I use the same knots I've always used, being mindful to increase the length of the tag end of the line to compensate for the additional line or slippage that will occur. Once it tightens, though, it's golden. I always run 30-36" of fluoro leader, connecting it to the line with a barrel swivel using clinch knots. Works like a champ on Valdez silvers and I've never experienced a knot failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Thanks guys,

If I go with mono in 12lb or 15lbs, what weight leader should I use? How long?
    Depends on what gear your using. If Im throwing hardware I dont use a leader. If Im floating or sinking bait that is a different story.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Power pro 20lbs for pinks no leader.30lbs line for every thing else. Any heavier and casting distance goes down. I tie snap swivel on and cast away.
    When time to use bait I tie on leaders to snap. Quick change on if tied comes in or goes back out

The only knot I use with braided line is a Palomar knot
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks guys !!
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA