Thread: Willow or sheep?

Default Willow or sheep?

Just swung by sportsmans and seen sheep is decent right now. Anyone been up in that area recently? Thinking about going next Saturday.

Bring an auger!

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Usually fish the Kenai this time of year but was curious about up north too. Is there much ice yet? Can you fish the main Susitna river at all or is it too muddy?

I was up there scouting last Friday. There was major ice and slush flows in the big Su and side channels were almost entirely locked up. The tribs are flowing similar stuff. There were small pockets of fishable water, but not where the fish are holding this time of year. This was Friday, and nothing in the weather would lead me to believe conditions have improved.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks Danner. Appreciate the update. I have heard that some guys do well on the Talkeetna late in the season. or is that all frozen too? I'm hoping the mild weather this week might open some things up for the weekend. Wishful thinking maybe??

wishful thinking
    once it skims over, with a few days well below freezing it locks up. You can still find open leads to fish, but fish are mostly gonna be holding in slower deeper water that has ice over it.

Thanks for the update. Yeah figured no sense going with the cold temps and all. Back to the kenai I guess! Always a few fish to be caught there!