Thread: The year of no hare...

Default The year of no hare...

Called 3 stands today, didn't see any sign of hare until the 3rd stand, these are all places I have successfully hunted hare in the past. Got a bit curious so I took my dog for a walk in another area I call a lot and only saw one other set of hare tracks! I sure hope this is the worst of the low cycle! Should make for some hungry predators?

No doubt. I was hoping to put my nephew on some hares this weekend, but it sure is slim pickings out there. As for hungry preds, last year a friend and I called in three lynx in two trips in an area that was totally devoid of hare tracks - the caveat being that the area was loaded with hares the two years prior. I don't expect there to be many lynx around that area this year, but in my very informal observation last winter they sure seemed eager for an easy meal in an area without much prey.

Same story for me. I put in some sets beyond Eureka, and in hiking 4 1/2 miles, didn't see a single set of hare tracks...

our hares crashed here as well although you can find a few in prime habitat but on the other hand grouse are rather plentiful here and ptarmigan will be here soon so the cats will have stuff to eat, still seeing plenty of cat tracks but the fur isn't prime yet so waiting patiently to start setting traps......
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................