Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting film festival - Thursday 8pm @ Bear Tooth

Default Hunting film festival - Thursday 8pm @ Bear Tooth

Following with the fly fishing film festival, the Bear Tooth is hosting a hunting film festival this coming Thursday. I'm not usually a fan of hunting shows that are basically ads for the latest high-tech gizmos, antler growth supplements and the like, but based on what I've seen from the fishing videos, I'm hopeful about this collection that is billed as conservation minded, fair chase hunting. We shall see...

Anyone else going?

http://beartooththeatre.net/movies/hunting-film-tour/

I see that it's sponsored by Sitka gear. Didn't one of our members compete or win some contest they put on?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

A couple of acquaintances of mine make these films. I'm pretty sure you're going to see something different than the "big buck over a corn feeder buy an XYZ rifle and a 123 scope and kill elk at a mile and stick him in a cooler" genre...

Some great short films being made out there these days. I kinda wish I was gonna be in Anchorage for this one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Following with the fly fishing film festival, the Bear Tooth is hosting a hunting film festival this coming Thursday. I'm not usually a fan of hunting shows that are basically ads for the latest high-tech gizmos, antler growth supplements and the like, but based on what I've seen from the fishing videos, I'm hopeful about this collection that is billed as conservation minded, fair chase hunting. We shall see...

Anyone else going?

Brian, Is it sold out yet? If not I think I am going to try to make it. I watched the fly fishing video last spring.

I don't think it's sold out yet. You can buy tickets from their website and pick them up before the film.

I'm going to make it. I hope it's not 2 hours of blind hunting over a corn feeder.

Got tickets. See ya there.

I enjoyed the fly fishing film but am a bit skeptical about a hunting film. Only one way to find out so I am going and hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else going?

Hey it was nice meeting you Brian. Did you see the lady that won the rangefinder. That was my wife!!! Pretty sweet. $380 dollar rangefinder. It was worth going just for that. The movie was pretty cool too though. I really liked the goat hunt. Up until the end when it didn't show whether or not he shot the goat.

It was worth going even though I didn't win anything. All that elk hunting made me miss Idaho.

I could have done without the guy who spent 8 months in the same blind to get that whitetail buck. You'll find the shoulder mount on the wall of his cardiologist's office in the near future.

I'm glad to hear that the range finder went to a forum member. I was afraid it would be someone's paper weight.

Another one of my favorites was the video produced by Gene Wensel and his hunting crew. I haven't seen a video from that guy in about twenty years. I was surprised to see he is still making quality hunting videos. Anyhow, it included a successful spot and stalk hunt on a bison with a longbow. That was awesome! Totally an epic adventure I am sure. Stuff like that only happens in my dreams.

I should have stayed home and watched youtube.....

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I should have stayed home and watched youtube.....
    I agree. Waste of time and money. I wish I would of took a shot of Jaeger for every fist bump though.

The wensels put out a great video several years back - definitely worth owning.

I wasn't very impressed by the films. Enjoyed a few but the rest were about the same as typical tv programs. Far too much of deep thoughts and cliche "it's not about the kill". There were some nice prizes but I wasn't one of the lucky few. Also, quite a few know-it-all, macho hunters in the audience.

I would have whether watched a slideshow of photos from the forum with some music in the background and a few of the videos/stories thrown in. Maybe a forum event for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice meeting you as well, Jack! That's great that your wife won the rangefinder. My friend commented about how two women won those sweet prizes despite the fact that there were maybe only 10 in the crowd. Crazy luck! I guess my luck is just being saved for the draw.

As for the films, I thought it was a mixed bag. The last one about the whitetail was terrible. That captured most everything I hate about hunting shows. The elk hunting was pretty fun to watch and I mostly liked the goat hunt, but overall most of those hunts didn't really capture me. I'm much more of a hunter than a fisherman, but the fishing films that they show in the spring are as a whole much better.

As an aside, I've also got to agree with magpie - the fist bumps were out of control. It became almost comical.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
    I would have whether watched a slideshow of photos from the forum with some music in the background and a few of the videos/stories thrown in.
    You mean like this? I started the 2010-12 version last year but never finished it. I'll get on it.

As for the films, I thought it was a mixed bag. The last one about the whitetail was terrible. That captured most everything I hate about hunting shows. The elk hunting was pretty fun to watch and I mostly liked the goat hunt, but overall most of those hunts didn't really capture me. I'm much more of a hunter than a fisherman, but the fishing films that they show in the spring are as a whole much better.

As an aside, I've also got to agree with magpie - the fist bumps were out of control. It became almost comical.
    I was rooting for "Droppy" to give that guy a heart attack.

The only thing that captured me was a pitcher of Northern Lights amber.

There were some awesome full length films made back in the fifties and sixties and the man rented movie theaters for three nights and he traveled around the country showing his "Homemade" film. And he would be on the stage to answer questions at intermission and end. The main thing I remember is thousand and thousands and millions of caribou crossing a river at the same spot day after day for weeks. It might have been Eastman's Adventure "ALASKA". My guess is that I seen it in about 68' in Rochester, New York. I went back every night he was there. Changed my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast