Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf skin

Default Wolf skin

So say you got your first wolf, not a great big one but your first one nonetheless. It's not in the budget to do a rug with it but you want to display it. What would you do with it, where would you take it and why? Pics are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    So say you got your first wolf, not a great big one but your first one nonetheless. It's not in the budget to do a rug with it but you want to display it. What would you do with it, where would you take it and why? Pics are welcome.
    You can buy a home tanning kit and tan it yourself. I was blessed to shoot three wolves last year while on a float hunt for moose and caribou. I bought a home tanning kit from sportsman's warehouse and my wife and I tanned all three of them for less than a hundred bucks. To me they look great. The skin side is not as soft as a hide that has been tanned commercially, but for just displaying them in my family room wall it worked out great for me. It wasn't too much work. You just flesh your hide, turn the ears and lips, salt and stretch the hide, spread a paste and cover it for 24 or 48 hours, scrape off the paste, oil the hide, let it dry, brush the hair, and clean the fur with corn meal.

I did this rug myself, was not all that hard. I have a wolf rug shell laying around that I would donate to your cause, as I tried to use it first, but it was too small for this wolf. I did have mine tanned at Alpha in Anchorage. You could just tan it and hang it on a ring trapper style.

Just a DIY rug, not professional taxidermy be any means. Was a fun project, I have a how to video I would donate as well.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm pretty sure I could do the same with my bear hide Steve. Where did you get the form for the head?

As what was said, if you want a nice soft hide then just have it tanned, but if you don't really care that much do it yourself. Then you could at least hang it on a wall, or over a stair rail like I've done with my black bear even though I would still like to do a rug. Either way they still look pretty cool.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm pretty sure I could do the same with my bear hide Steve. Where did you get the form for the head?
    I bought the shell from Van Dykes, I just made the ear forms using stainless wire mesh. Been a long time, but I think I got the felt from them as well. I did invest in a felt cutter, but you could do it with craft shears.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Wol...rms-C3214.aspx
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you're just going to hang it from a hook, you can get a bit creative with the display. You can put multiple furs together, throw in some skulls or antlers, add some other memorabilia (one of my favorites is an old pack with some pick-up ram horns and a fur that Stid put together) - lots of possibilities. A rug is nice, no doubt, but there are other ways to make it look nice and bring a smile to your face as you remember the hunt.

If you're never going to mount it, then you should have the hide garment tanned instead of taxidermy tanned. There's a big difference. A garment tan will last forever and always stay soft and look the same 40 years from now. A taxidermy tan is meant to be mounted within a reasonable time after it was tanned. It probably won't be mountable after a few years as it will rip after being soaked up and when you go to stretch it back out. Having a wolf tanned isn't horribly expensive and is critical to a quality long lasting mount.

I get a lot of compliments on my wall with hanging furs. For my first wolf, I sent it off to get tanned. I've got another in the freezer that I'll probably do the same with. Every once in a while you get a nice critter that just deserves a full body mount, like the 42 pound wolverine and beautiful cross fox that I have below my furs.

I can't single anyone's display as the best. they are ALL great. Thank you all for the super pictures and great advice.

Stid, that wolf looks awesome to me! FWIW, you can get ear inserts from VanDykes now too.

Brian and Jerod, your displays are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Sell it and buy some more stuff to help shoot/trap more wolves. It's the LAST one you will want to remember the most.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I like the tanned hide hung by the nose, but its more fun to throw it over the couch and let the kids play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I get a lot of compliments on my wall with hanging furs. For my first wolf, I sent it off to get tanned. I've got another in the freezer that I'll probably do the same with. Every once in a while you get a nice critter that just deserves a full body mount, like the 42 pound wolverine and beautiful cross fox that I have below my furs.

i think the ermine really finishes that wall off nicely!

Another option for tanning, real good and pretty quick. www.moytown.com/‎

Send it to Moyle Tannery in Idaho, they charge $55 to tan a wolf, then hang it on the wall. You'll be happy with Moyle.

http://www.moytown.com/

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...7&d=1384364996

Can't think of a better way to display a wolf.... ^
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    i think the ermine really finishes that wall off nicely!

LOL that ermine is a bit out of place there. This just struck me funny.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    LOL that ermine is a bit out of place there. This just struck me funny.
    I think you should have mounted the ermine, with the fox in its mouth, LOL...

The ermine and mink next to the wolf is kind of a space filler. You can see how I mounted the hooks, so I ended up with a gap there. When I get a marten, and a couple other small critters I will put them there. The marten will go down to the left of the mink. On the other side of the wolf I'd like to put a lynx, but I have to get one first. Just hope it is short enough so it doesn't cover the light switches!

I do have a snowy owl mount with a life size ermine next to it, and there is another ermine hide that is draped over the log that the owl is on that looks like his dinner.

Here's the snowy owl and ermine. This is a little nick nack corner that I have with a baleen fishing boat, oosik, and a few other ivory and antler items I've picked up or been gifted over the years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast