Thread: Where to get Lowa Sheep Hunter boots?

Question Where to get Lowa Sheep Hunter boots?

Schnee's isn't showing them anymore and I'm curious if there is anywhere else to get them? Thanks in advance!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Schnee's isn't showing them anymore and I'm curious if there is anywhere else to get them? Thanks in advance!

AZinAK
    Lathrop and Sons has a new light weight version. I myself like the Tibet GTX, I like to lower cut. I believe they just dropped the Sheep from the name and now they are called "Hunter GTX Extreme" They also have a tall Tibet GTX now.

If I had not bought a new pair last fall, I would try the new lighter version the "Lowa Cevedale Tech-Light Hunter GTX – New for 2014!"

Probably why they sold off the old ones last fall so cheap. I paid 200 for a new pair of GTXs.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/lowa-b...-gtx-lowa.html

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

CC Outdoor Store frequently has sales. I bought a pair earlier this year for $280ish, down from $425.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Boot Country on Old Seward has them (or at least they used to). Like Steve, I prefer the lower cuff compared to the sheep hunters.

I can see the benefit of the lower cuff especially on descents...but how is the ankle support compared to the Hunter? Also, is the lack of insulation ever noticed or missed? I'll check out those "New for 2014" boots Steve. Maybe those are the ticket. I like light. My safety toe work boots suck to lug around.

AZinAK

I can see the benefit of the lower cuff especially on descents...but how is the ankle support compared to the Hunter? Also, is the lack of insulation ever noticed or missed? I'll check out those "New for 2014" boots Steve. Maybe those are the ticket. I like light. My safety toe work boots suck to lug around.

AZinAK
    I found the ankle support the same, the taller ones were harder on my shins. I'm sure it is more personal preference than anything else. I also prefer the insulated boots, as my feet tend to get cold easy. You might PM Aron from Rockslide, I saw that he posted a photo of the new Lowas, so he might be able to give you a review of those.

I would get which ever pair you chose and put as many miles as possible on them before you take off on a hunt. Lowas are known as out of the box ready, but I like to have some time in any gear I use on remote hunts.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I should have some time in the new Lowas here shortly as I ordered as set last week.

I really like my Lowa Sheephunters as well as the Hanwag Alaskans, both seem to feel nearly identical to my feet.

The extra freeboard of the 10" tall sheephunters can be nice for quick stream crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I should have some time in the new Lowas here shortly as I ordered as set last week.

I really like my Lowa Sheephunters as well as the Hanwag Alaskans, both seem to feel nearly identical to my feet.

The extra freeboard of the 10" tall sheephunters can be nice for quick stream crossings.
    You're talking the Lathrop and Sons version? I am very interested to hear your take as you have put a lot of miles on two other high end boots. Hopefully you're able to test them under a load...100 lbs or so.

AZinAK

You're talking the Lathrop and Sons version? I am very interested to hear your take as you have put a lot of miles on two other high end boots. Hopefully you're able to test them under a load...100 lbs or so.

AZinAK
    Only if I'm lucky...though not the best resource for testing boots likely as my feet are extremely unpicky and I pack heavy loads in Salmon Trail Runners too

And yeah trying out the new L&S boot!

I would not want an insulated boot for sheep hunting or anything else prior to October. My feet don't get overly sweaty and I do get chilly toes sometimes, but I can't imagine wanting more moisture in my boot that would almost certainly accumulate at times with an insulated boot. As for ankle support, I don't find that the 8" cuff is lacking at all.

yip, boot country on old seward has the lowas, I bought a pair for my hike up wedgemount lake trail in British Columbia. Great boots so far.

I found mine at Frontier Outfitters.

I prefer the shorter Tibets…easier on the shins. I can't imagine needing more support- your leg would probably snap.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit