Thread: Any elk hunters??

Default Any elk hunters??

I want to hunt elk but I do not know where to start. I did a quick forum search and did not find the info I am looking for. I would like to hear from anyone with info/or even opinions about the elk draws. Which one? Logistics challenges an so on. Shoot me a PM or respond publically.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Several years back I drew a south west afognak any elk tag for October.
    Only one part, Malina lakes, was public use. The rest was native land with healthy trespass fees.
    I hunted seven days and on the last day saw 141 elk on the top of the mtn. So did everyone else. The Shiites started at well over 500 yards, two elk were killed and I followed the herd and managed to find a gut shot elk hiding in some brush. Only shot I fired was the one that finished off that elk. Saw one deer lots of fox and tons of fish!! Wishing I had a fish pole....
    Be warned, the elk are almost as big in the body as a moose!! These are not lower 48 elk!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    I want to hunt elk but I do not know where to start. I did a quick forum search and did not find the info I am looking for. I would like to hear from anyone with info/or even opinions about the elk draws. Which one? Logistics challenges an so on. Shoot me a PM or respond publically.
    I drew the DE713 tag last year and went with a bunch of people from Kodiak. I have been on several successful elk hunts in the mountains of Alberta but this was quite different, and not in a good way. Southwest Afognak looks great from the air but most of it covered in this god awful chest-high brush; it took me over an hour to cover a mile, and that was with a machete. Also, elk habits were different. Down south I'm used to seeing them come out in the late afternoon to graze just before dark. These elk never left the trees for the 5 days we were there. I came out unsuccessful and judging by the lack of gunshots, I think everyone else did too. There were probably 12 hunters in the area including us.

Couldn't complain about the weather, though... 5 days of sunshine... sure was different than Kodiak townsite!

All I could suggest is, don't stay down low, fight your way through the brush and maybe try spike camping on the ridge lines west of Malina Lake. That's the one thing we didn't try, and I think that's where they were.

I went with a friend this year who had a DE 711 bull elk tag at Malina Lakes. our strategy was to get there a couple days early, hike to the herd, and shoot one on opening day. Kodiak weather had different plans. We were weathered out of the hunt area for two days, then weathered in for three days. The terrain was difficult, but we expected that. The brush was a mix of chest high grass that grabs your feet when you walk, and a dried salmonberry bushes that lean toward you wherever you are trying to go. It was a little more difficult than bushwacking up Kenai mountains. We spent one day climbing to get above brush line. then spent two days tracking a bull with a large harem. We didn't connect. They are very spooky and can traverse in an evening what it would take us two days.

Still an awesome experience, and i would do it again in a heartbeat. if you go, go a day or two early (weather permiting) and spot them from the air. have at least three packers. bring food to stash at a base camp, but plan on backpacking. Also, get above the brush line on the first day, and stay above it.