Thread: marten

Default marten

I had posted an earlier thread about first time marten trapping and thanks for the replies.My next question is do they have to be tagged or sealed?I do my fur up here at home and sell to NAFA but won,t have the time at the end of the trip or the resources to do up fur if we are lucky enough to catch some fur.Are there any local fur buyers in Sitka that buy fur green or maybe someone that we could pay to flesh and dry.I get better prices at NAFA every year.Thanks again and have a great day!!!

You don't really appear to be up to this task. Looking for someone to flesh and dry your fur? I don't think there is an easier pelt to deal with than marten. Also there are local people that trap fur down there for a cash crop. I don't think we should allow non-resident trappers to harvest fur in Alaska and take the fur down south to sell. The local trappers are dependent on that fur. How are you ensuring that you are not trapping on someone else's area?

x2 what pipercub says Sitka is pretty much trapped out as it is and to have people flying in and adding pressure just makes it harder for people (like my girlfriends family) to catch marten like they have been doing for generations.

thanks for the input.I,m only trying to help my buddy who is a Sitka resident get started in trapping.The fur won,t be coming south as it will be his to do with it what he decides.As for the handling i sometimes use my local furbuyer when i,m swamped with my construction and taxidermy business to help me stay caught up.Gives him extra $ and helps me out.Hope I,m not coming off as wanting to step on any toes and again thanks for the replies.have a great day!!

Marten must be sealed in that unit. You need to study the regulations, which are available on-line. Your friend will also need to tag all traps.

thanks-I have been looking at the reg,s and got a contact # for game and fish in Sitka.Have a great day!!A/ho