Thread: Pressure Cooking Moose Roast

Default Pressure Cooking Moose Roast

Just used my pressure cooker to cook a moose roast last night. 1.75lb rump roast done at 15psi for 30min. Turned out to be like petrified wood, slightly less tough than that. Still edible but drier than dust. The flavor was really good however, and with gallons of gravy it went down easy. Need some tips from all you pressure cooking pros….

Did you brown the roast first? How much liquid did you use?
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

My wife is thinking the same. Not enough liquid, maybe too long in the cooker. Searing can make a big difference too.

Scott

Browned on all sides. Had nearly six cups of water in moose roast. Cooked a 2.5 lb caribou roast last night with same amount of water, rolled in flour and browned, and did it for 8min a pound at 15 psi. Came out moist but tough. Can you get tender meat in a cooker?

Our pressure cooked roasts are "fall off the bone tender". Not sure what's going on with your roasts to make them tough.
    I think I use less cook time per lb. but not sure if that would change much?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    Browned on all sides. Had nearly six cups of water in moose roast. Cooked a 2.5 lb caribou roast last night with same amount of water, rolled in flour and browned, and did it for 8min a pound at 15 psi. Came out moist but tough. Can you get tender meat in a cooker?
    I only use 12 psi to can my game meat. Try putting it in a jar for 75 min with three inches of water in the cooker it comes out so tender you can cut it with a fork. No water added to jar, any cut of meat. Granted this is my canning recipe but it comes out awesome.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Cut meat into one inch square pieces. Put cooker on stove on high heat with about 1/4 inch of your choice oil and let oil get hot. Put pieces of meat in oil and let sear on all sides. Then put in more water or broth and cook about 40 minutes after you get the pressure up. Also add other seasoning before closing cooker if desired. I cook my meat about 15 minutes then take the pressure of cooker then add potatoes, carrots, onions, and any other vegetables you like. build pressure back up and cook another 30 minutes.

I am not telling anyone to do this but I take my pressure cooker to the sink and run cold water over it until the pressure drops. Slow and easy. I then add my other stuff and it only takes a few minutes to get the pressure back up again. If you decide to try this do so at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    Can you get tender meat in a cooker?
    You can, but understand that moose is one of the toughest meats to keep moist and juicy while cooking, due to its low fat content....moose is best cooked slow and low, and a pressure cooker is neither. I always had better luck with bear, pork, and other fatty meats, and only used one because I lived off grid and the crockpot wasn't an option. Browning should be done on extremely high heat, and as fast as possible, or it will just dry the meat out further....there is no such thing as "sealing in the juices"....here's a helpful article: http://missvickie.com/howto/cooking101/mistakes.html
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I only use 12 psi to can my game meat. Try putting it in a jar for 75 min with three inches of water in the cooker it comes out so tender you can cut it with a fork. No water added to jar, any cut of meat. Granted this is my canning recipe but it comes out awesome.

Pressure canning not the same as pressure cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    Pressure canning not the same as pressure cooking.
    Hmm it's edible right out of the pressure cooker never dry and never tough. Yep not the same
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author