Thread: What have I got ?

Default What have I got ?

I have a old gun that has been sitting behind the door in a corner for years. Dusted it off and looked down the bore and it looked very good. The gun is old military as far as I know. It has a crown on top of the barrel just below the rear sight. Right below the crown is the word fat and 41 is below that. It has made in Italy stamped on the stock just above the butt plate. The bore looks to be a 7mm of some sort. Anybody know much about these guns? I know the gun is not a high dollar piece but just wanting to know what I do have. Thanks.

I looked at this gun again and think it might be smaller than 7mm. Might be 6.5 or something else.

6.5 italian carcano.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Leave it behind the door.

Can you post pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have a old gun that has been sitting behind the door in a corner for years. Dusted it off and looked down the bore and it looked very good. The gun is old military as far as I know. It has a crown on top of the barrel just below the rear sight. Right below the crown is the word fat and 41 is below that. It has made in Italy stamped on the stock just above the butt plate. The bore looks to be a 7mm of some sort. Anybody know much about these guns? I know the gun is not a high dollar piece but just wanting to know what I do have. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    6.5 italian carcano.
    My guess too. As for leaving it behind the door, lots of variables. Back in the 50's and 60's when surplus ammo was cheap and plentiful, we shot lots of them and shot them lots. They were the cheap "AK" of their day.

So much ammo and so cheap, almost no one loaded for them. What little I did for half a dozen rifles between me and friends showed a whole lot of variability in overall quality, but also in important details like chamber and bore dimensions. When you got a good one it was really accurate and reliable, but a bad one was something to pass along to someone else.

I'd sure verify that's what you have, then I'd track down some ammo and try it out. If it's one of the good ones, I'd reload for it and have fun with it. It's a good deer/caribou round and would make a great little truck gun or cabin gun. Only after spending some time with it and finding problems would I put it back behind the door.

Apparently one was used to kill a president.
    My grandson picked one up at a garage sale for $20; a carbine in 6.5. That rifle had 5" groups at 50 yards. Looked good on the outside as far as military rifles go, but just a crappy shooter, and amazingly, the bore looked just fine. I've heard many stories like this... but then there are always the good ones out there. The Italians were better lovers than fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...5" groups at 50 yards.
    I'd sure take a hard look at the crown, and probably recrown it even if you didn't see a problem. We had several of them that performed about that way, and it always turned out to be a crown issue. Almost like someone drinking wine hacked off a long barrel with a hacksaw and smoothed it up to hide their poor work.

Back as late as the 70's Williams Sight Co. put out a thin book on sporterizing military rifles, including the Carcano. Good book and worth tracking it down. You won't find lots of the listed replacement parts on shelves any more, but at least it will give you an idea what's possible, and provide details if you want to search for used. We dumped or recrowned any rifle that wouldn't do 2"-3" at 100, and the best got new triggers and sights at the very least. A couple of guys scoped theirs, and yeah.... It's easy to see that the one in Dallas wasn't exceptional.

Cool gun to shoot a few times and see if it has promise. If it shoots reasonably well now, you could have lots of fun playing with it.

I do not know how to post pictures. What do you look for in ammo? What will the box say? 6.5 ????????

Good luck finding ammo. You will have to find brass, then dies, then bullets, and roll your own. It would have to be a really cherry all original, un-hacked carcano for me to go to that kind of trouble. Those are getting harder to find, as so many were "sporterized",to use a kind word, back in the 50's and 60's. Norma, and I think Prvi-partizan both make ammo, but still pretty uncommon. The box of ammo will say 6.5 Carcano. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE. Without photos, it's just a guess. I would NEVER work off someone elses guess.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Good luck finding ammo. You will have to find brass, then dies, then bullets, and roll your own. It would have to be a really cherry all original, un-hacked carcano for me to go to that kind of trouble. Those are getting harder to find, as so many were "sporterized",to use a kind word, back in the 50's and 60's. Norma, and I think Prvi-partizan both make ammo, but still pretty uncommon. The box of ammo will say 6.5 Carcano. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE. Without photos, it's just a guess. I would NEVER work off someone elses guess.
    Ammo Can has the stuff.
    Brown Bear- he resold it at a garage sale.

If I had an old carcano....................I would clean it up but not shoot it. Being the same brand of gun as was used by Lee Harvey Oswald would have to have some sort of collector value and would likely appreciate.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If it has serial number C2766, I will give you $500 cash.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

It is # B 7613. All numbers match on gun. That is a plus.

Don't even try getting ammo and shooting the rifle until you first confirm what you have. Either pay someone or do a chamber cast yourself before doing anything else.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Find out what it is, which is what you're tryin to do.

Then, if it's a Carcano, trash it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.