Thread: Jber

Default Jber

I'm active Air Force. I have lots of ice gear if any one on JBER wants to get out once the ice gets to be a few more inches. I have a couple flashers, lots of tackle, rods, a couple shacks and heaters I'll share. Doesn't matter to me if you have no clue or are a die hard, either way, I'm game, just looking for some folks to fish with.

I'm new here and will be learning the ropes, but I've been ice fishing long enough, I have confidence I'll figure it out.

I'm limited to foot travel for now, looking for a sled, but it'll probably be a month or so before I get one.

Happy to travel too.

Hard Water how goes it. The fishing on base is fun and all if you have kids, but make it out to the valley and we'll hit up some more diverse species if you're up to it. I'm also active duty Air Force started out here with a basic ice fishing outfit fishing base lakes, beach, sand and Fire lake, but living here in the valley is almost ice fishing heaven "almost". With pike and burbot a short drive away I got to know some pretty good spots and can't wait too find more. Once it starts freezing up real good we'll exchange some info if you're interested. I try to get out on the ice every weekend at least 8 hours a day.

Heck yeah I'm up to it.

I came from Malmstrom, was usually after walleye and perch, some pike. Never played too much with the stocker trout down there. But I like having the chance so close and easy on base for a quick fix when driving very far isn't an option, pulled a 24" through an inch and a half of ice last weekend on 6 mile, but stayed right off the shore in a few feet of water.. I'll be a regular weekend warrior too, I'll shoot you a PM with my information.

I guess I can't send PM's yet.

I am from MT and spent alot of time hunting and fishing around Great Falls (Malmstrom)...miss it sometimes.

I like to chase pike in the valley via snowmachine from time to time. Let me know via PM or email if either of you are interested and we'll try and link up.

is JBER open for ice fishing yet ? F & G on base don't let you fish till the ice is strong ot hold a truck in pass years

SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    is JBER open for ice fishing yet ? F & G on base don't let you fish till the ice is strong ot hold a truck in pass years

SID
    I don't know how they do that, I'm pretty new, I signed into isportsman and fished the last two weekends on base. No one stopped me, didn't see anything saying I couldn't do it, so I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    I am from MT and spent alot of time hunting and fishing around Great Falls (Malmstrom)...miss it sometimes.

I like to chase pike in the valley via snowmachine from time to time. Let me know via PM or email if either of you are interested and we'll try and link up.

I can't PM yet, not sure what I have to do to have that privilege on these boards. But I'll be having a snow machine real soon.

I can't believe you only miss Montana sometimes, I wish I could go back right now, I'm not comfortable with no perch or walleyes around me.

How is the bite on Clunie?

Also curious to hoe the water clarity is on clunie.....

Its a little stained, but clear enough enough to site fish up to nearly 20'.

You can catch a lot of char, land locks and rainbows, but most are small. There are some decent fish in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Water View Post
    Its a little stained, but clear enough enough to site fish up to nearly 20'.

You can catch a lot of char, land locks and rainbows, but most are small. There are some decent fish in it though.
    I think I will check it out tomorrow. What is a "decent size" .... I hoping to get a few nice rainbows. Last time I fished clunie from the bank I caught a plethora of 10" rainbows from the bank in the summer .... I was thinking that I would have to get in a little deeper water to catch their mom and pops lol.

I have seen a lot of and caught a few 18-22". Nothing spectacular but a lot more fun that 10".

Well we made it out to Clunie today but could not get the heater lit. Unfortunately I carried the lighter in a backpack and even though I had a Mr. Heater and a full propane tank the lighter would not light. Caught a few small rainbows but only had lines in the water for say 20-30 mins. Thinking I might get a better lighter and carry it next to my body to retain heat..... then head out to big lake and give that a try.

I've been to green lake three times now this winter, each time the fish have been literally non-stop. No lunkers, but definitely fun for kids and first timers. Most were 10" bows, a few salmon thrown in the mix. A few were big enough for a one person meal probably.
    The last time I went though, on Friday the 27th, there was about 12-14" of ice, then about 2" of water, and then another 2" of ice covered in close to a foot of snow. It was pretty weird and very wet. The closer to shore though the more solid it all was. I drove my truck on the ice, but had a hard time getting back up the hill towards the chalet, even in 4wd.

Hope this helps, I need to get up to the valley soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk