Thread: Boiling traps?

Default Boiling traps?

I have 2 dozen 110's that have not come out of the box. Is it important that I boil them before I use them to try to trap some marten?

If they are oily or greasy then I would but if not I wouldn't worry about it, they don't need a scent free trap like a K9 does.................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Supporting Member

Most of the time traps are boiled (water with Logwood crystals) or dipped (Speed dip w/ gasoline), just to keep the steel from rusting or to help camouflage them when setting. Boiled traps are usually also waxed, to keep them scent free. As TC said, none of this is really necessary with Marten sets, as they are not scent or trap shy usually.

Throw them in the dish washer for a couple of cycles to get rid of most of the factory grease, then start using them. Next year after they've gotten a thin coat of rust then boil them in logwood dye. NEVER wax conibears, you'll be sorry if you do.

Supporting Member

Like wags said, you'll be sorry if you wax your body-grip traps, "UNLESS"...you scrape the wax off the jaw where the dog rides when set and from the notches of the dog. After doing that, set them and leave them for awhile on your workbench. If you come back and they are still set, you're good to go!

there is no point in waxing coni's but I would get the grease off them if there is any! you don't want it on your fur!!!

An easy solution is to dip them, be done with it. Full metal Jacket, or any of the other speed dips. Instead of logwood (which means you'll need to rust them to get a decent coating). I have a home made concoction I want to try but haven't bothered, there's really no need unless you're water trapping!

The only other reason I'd coat them with something is if I was leaving them, which if you're on some form of trail of any kind I wouldn't do around here!

one part rustoleum to two parts thinner and a metal bucket with lid, set your coniber and dip in paint then pull it out and let excess paint run into bucket and then hang to dry. Once dry snap trap and it's ready to roll, after your done dipping traps put lid on your bucket and it will be ready for when you need to dip more traps......................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................