Thread: First Koyukuk trip with 300 diesel

Default First Koyukuk trip with 300 diesel

Took my first trip on the Koyukuk this fall. Great trip. Went with two buddies from work, found out afterwards it was a "bucket list" item for one of them.

Started out in Soldotna and the first day drove to the bridge. The two of them had definitely overpacked, so they lightened the load and redistributed the weight before we set out the first morning. The hadn't realized that weight really does matter when you're on a boat trip.

First day on the river got us to Ruby and we stayed the night. Second day ended at our camp at the upper end of Three Day Slough. GPS showed 464 miles from the bridge. We used 130 gallons in fuel getting there, cruising 32-34 mph.

Day three I set out early in the morning, the others slept in a bit. Shot my moose an hour's walk from camp and made it back as they were crawling out of the tent. They gave me a hard time about the little red wagon, but they didn't laugh as we easily hauled the meat back to camp in it. Some boys just don't outgrow their toys.

Second moose shot two days later and we were able to get the boat within 60 yards of the moose. I greatly overestimated fuel use and had to go visiting buddies on the Dulbi to use up some to lighten the load. I thought we'd have used the boat more hunting, but we were lucky and got the moose close to camp.

Loaded up and started for home trying to beat the snow. It took us a little bit to get up on step in the deeper water there. We stayed next to shore, but it was still quite deep. We burnt 180 gallons from upper Three Day Slough to the bridge on the way back: three guys, gear, and two large moose- quite the load. We able to cruise 28-30 mph on the return trip. We were faster as we burned off some of the fuel weight.

Some photos:

Our Moose:

The little red wagon:

Loading for the return trip:

Still working out the video clip process for posting.

It was a great trip, better than last year's and that troublesome gravel bar. The son is trying to get his grades up so he can go next year. I don't know... we've not gotten a moose since I started taking him out 12 years ago. He might be moose jinxed. This year, I left him at home, and one hour out on day one I had a nice one.

Love the wagon, congrats!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

nice thanks for sharing
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I am planning that same trip in my 24 foot phantom 60/40 with the 200 horse optimax next year. I would love to talk with you sometime about this trip. Sounds like you all had a great trip... Awesome job man!!!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Please share some fuel numbers. What type and size of boat and motor? Weight? How much did you burn ?

Great trip, did it numerous times and always looking for new ways to do it and diesel is something I have been considering.

Not trying to be a smartass or nothing moneypit but read his first post, it tells ya all that info your asking. Except its a Phantom SportJon 60/40 with a 300 horse FNM Diesel in it. Hamilton 212 water pump out the back I do believe... Correct me if I'm wrong there fellas. Its a bad ass bad for sure. They sell the in Wasilla at AK Frontier Fabrications. I have one as well but mine has the Direct Fuel Inject 2 Stroke Mercury Optimax with the SportJet Water Pump out the back. Also a bad ass bad, If I do say so myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    Please share some fuel numbers. What type and size of boat and motor? Weight? How much did you burn ?

Great trip, did it numerous times and always looking for new ways to do it and diesel is something I have been considering.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Boat: 22' phantom avenger, 8.5' beam with 7' bottom, 300 hp FMN diesel with the 212 Hamilton jet.

We had 3 guys, 265 gallons of fuel, gear and food = about 3400 lbs. going out. We refueled at Ruby topping off again and left for camp.

On the return trip we started out with 145 gallons on board, plus the two moose.

We burnt 130 gallons going 465 miles out to camp. Average of 3.57 miles per gallon, average cruise 32-33 mph, sometimes jumped up to 36 mph.

We burnt 180 gallons coming back (465 miles), an average of 2.6 miles per gallon. Average cruise around 30 mph.

We burnt a total of 380 gallons for the total 1120 miles of the trip, going out and return plus running around.

I got better fuel mileage than I had anticipated and was really pleased with the performance, and no sand bars this year. I plan to do it again next year.

Cross-posted with Bob

Thanks for sharing! You definitely didn't leave anything behind...lol If you packed light and didn't haul extra fuel to camp, could you pack out another moose?

With different/less gear and less fuel we could have definitely brought out another moose. The arctic oven tent is awesome, but it sure weighs a lot. I'm really considering a Kifaru tipi tent for next year. Several people asked if the boat was "really a diesel". The Fish&Game guy thought I'd just stuck a sticker on the boat... lol.

Pretty good! Thanks for posting the MPG and weights. Did you give any thought to having a 241 jet instead of the 212? If needed, can you buy diesel anywhere along the way?
    What speed was required to keep your rig on step? How much more weight do you estimate you could carry?

I did think about the 241... it was another $5k for that pump. I know other diesels that use the 241, and are having great success but I don't know what impeller they are using and they've all had the yanmar 6LP - 315hp at 900 pounds dry weight. I do wonder if I would have gotten better performance out of it.

With all the weight we had to cruise at about 30mph to stay on step. I believe that max would be about 4000 pounds on the boat. We load tested it last year with about 3800 pounds in it, so I wasn't concerned about the weight. At that time we were burning I think 11 gallons and some change an hour cruising at 32mph. It was over a year ago so I don't remember the exact number.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    Pretty good! Thanks for posting the MPG and weights. Did you give any thought to having a 241 jet instead of the 212? If needed, can you buy diesel anywhere along the way?
    What speed was required to keep your rig on step? How much more weight do you estimate you could carry?
    Moneypit, the 241 could be used but in this style haul and size it wouldn't be worth it. The 241 would require the use of transmission which would increase weight and lengthen the power package taking up extra room in the boat. The FNM 300 close couples to 212 and makes for a very compact package. It's lighter and shorter then a 350 Chevy yet uses the same impeller as the 8.1. The 3.4T or 4.0T can be used. Easy is using the 3.4T. From what I recall from the load test on Wasilla lake was 4000lbs, requiring 31-32mph to stay on step burning 10.8-10.9 at 3500rpms. I'm sure the boat would haul more but one would want to be careful not to exceed the duty cycle for extended periods. We'll have a landing craft w/ the 300 up here this spring so we'll get max load test on the lake then.

Very impressed with your fuel numbers. Running 32 mpg and only using 11 gallons per hour carrying 3,800 pounds is impressive in anybody's book. That is as good as a 225 prop gas motor would get.