Thread: Moving to Seward

Default Moving to Seward

Hey guys/gals.. I am moving from the bush (outside of Bethel) to Seward late this month or early December. I've been ice fishing my entire life and I am hoping there is some decent hardwater fishing to be done somewhere near Seward.... Could anyone give me some input about the fishing in the area? What species will I be looking at? etc.. thanks in advance!

You're fairly limited right near Seward. Years ago there was pretty good ice fishing for sea run dollies in Grouse Lake 7 miles out of town. Haven't heard anything about it in years. Bear Lake, also about 7 miles out of town may hold some resident dollies. The co-op that operates the fish weir on Bear Creek doesn't let sea run dollies migrate back into the lake.
    Beyond that there's Kenai Lake which is kind of an unknown as far as ice fishing goes at least at the Seward end. Some 40 miles from town are Upper and Lower Summit Lakes which attract a bit of ice fishing attention. Upper and Lower Trail Lakes are another possibility. There are fish in there but it's glacial water and I don't recall ever seeing anyone trying it. Tern Lake at mile 38 should also hold both dollies and rainbows but again I've never seen anyone ice fishing it.
    There are a couple hike in stocked lakes that would probably provide decent ice fishing but access in the winter would be a bit challenging.
    Sorry if that sounds a bit depressing.
    Really the best known ice fishing would be lakes along SkiLac Loop.
    Nylrem

Ya, thats pretty depressing.. Maybe once i get there I can hopefully find a few people who have some spots.. Thanks for the input though!

Ya man, depressing. When you do move down here, send me a pm and I will give you some insite... "fishon"

QUOTE=Nylrem;1341210]You're fairly limited right near Seward. Years ago there was pretty good ice fishing for sea run dollies in Grouse Lake 7 miles out of town. Haven't heard anything about it in years. Bear Lake, also about 7 miles out of town may hold some resident dollies. The co-op that operates the fish weir on Bear Creek doesn't let sea run dollies migrate back into the lake.
    Beyond that there's Kenai Lake which is kind of an unknown as far as ice fishing goes at least at the Seward end. Some 40 miles from town are Upper and Lower Summit Lakes which attract a bit of ice fishing attention. Upper and Lower Trail Lakes are another possibility. There are fish in there but it's glacial water and I don't recall ever seeing anyone trying it. Tern Lake at mile 38 should also hold both dollies and rainbows but again I've never seen anyone ice fishing it.
    There are a couple hike in stocked lakes that would probably provide decent ice fishing but access in the winter would be a bit challenging.
    Sorry if that sounds a bit depressing.
    Really the best known ice fishing would be lakes along SkiLac Loop.
    Nylrem[/QUOTE]
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Bob, for some reason it is not letting me pm you… (Im new at this) lol I would like to hear what you have to say so if you would like to pm me i would appreciate it!