Thread: I need some advice...

Default I need some advice...

One of my daughters (almost 14yo) is showing quite an interest in photography. I'm thinking I'd like to buy her a good quality camera for Christmas this year but I know nothing about the gear that is out there. I'm looking for suggestions regarding a camera that will take quality photos and have some semi-advanced functions/settings she can fiddle with to get experience figuring out the science. I don't want something so advanced she will be hesitant to use in any mode other than "auto" (that's about as advanced as I get...). I also don't need to spend over $500 if that is possible.

Something more advanced than a simple point and shoot but not top of the line semi pro gear. Is there anything out there that would fit the bill?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Oh fuggit. Get her a Canon G16. She will love you for it and you won't have to buy her a camera again.

Let her pick a camera.

Without experience it is quite likely she'll get it wrong too, but she'll be closer than anyone else can get. And she will learn from the experience too, both about cameras and photography but also about herself and photography.

And be aware that first camera, $50 or $5000, will go into the drawer and collect dust. The main thing to learn from it is which camera is the right one.

Take a good look at the Nikon D3200, 499.00 at best buy and or costco, very user friendly, she can start out in full auto then learn the manual settings. this model has a built in user guide and takes great video as well, she will love you for it.
    "f/64 and be there"

I live in Sitka and I am in no way affiliated with this store other than to have purchased a few lenses from them. Stewarts Photo in Anchorage appears to do a very nice job with used equipment. I have always been happy with my new purchases there as they have met the prices offered by the big NY stores. I have considered selling a couple of lenses through them as well.

I recognize that there is a camera store that places ads here and is a sponsor. I am sorry that I do not have any experience with them. I do have experience with Stewarts. It has been all positive.

Here is a link to their current used line up.

Bruce
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Another thumbs up for stewarts, I usually call them first to support the local camera store before I go to the larger stores. And they are increasing the lens rental lineup.
    "f/64 and be there"

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I like the looks of the Canon G series but that Nikon looks like a quality piece too. I'll have to stop in at Stewarts for some pointers too. I bought some gps accessories from them earlier this year.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Looking at the used market a bit.... Does this look like a decent deal? http://anchorage.craigslist.org/ele/4084911216.html
    AKmud

The T2i is no longer in production.
    While the price isn't bad it is outdated compared to those still in production.
    I bought a T3 kit a couple of years ago on sale for $425 and it has been an excellent camera that is quite versatile.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=8850

The price is even better now at $399 with a free bag @ Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eos-rebe...0000&cp=1&lp=2

a T3 is less of a camera then a T2i. I have a T2i that i am trying to sell as I moved up to a 7D. T2i are great cameras. Personally I am a fan of Canon products but they are all good. Your best bet is to take her out and let her try them. Personally a nikon does not fit my hands properly where as the Canon does. Nikon seems to have a little easier user interface where the Canon seems to assume you have a better understanding of what the features are going to do.

Picked up a Canon Eos T3i for my wife last month, was around $700- on Amazon and came with a bunch of stuff including a zoom lens.
    So far has been a great purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
    It also shoots HD video, pretty cool for a combo set-up.
    BK