Thread: Shoulder lesson

Default Shoulder lesson

18 years ago I had severe pain in my bow shoulder caused by college football, heavy lifting and just basic stupidity. Arthritis that built up on the collar bone caused the pain. The solution was to cut the end of the collar bone off called a Mumford Procedure. It cured the pain. My string side shoulder developed the same pain but I've grinned a bared it for the last 10 years. I finally gave in, got an MRI and had the surgery today. Reason I'm posting this is that I learned something and want to share it. I learned that the arthritis build up or bone spurs have been wearing on my rotator cuff. Mine was thinned 50%. Lucky for me I still have 50%. The difference in recover time between a simple mumford (a couple months) and a complete rebuild (9-12 months) is huge.
    Moral- Don't put off chronic pain. See a doc if you have it...in the off season of course. Now where's my percocet...?

Deciding to go "under the knife" is not an easy thing to do. You never really know how you're gonna come out on the other end.

Hope you heal up well.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Deciding to go "under the knife" is not an easy thing to do. You never really know how you're gonna come out on the other end.

Hope you heal up well.....
    Yep, Should have made that more clear through the fog. I'm not advocating surgery just recommending not to ignore a problem. My procrastination almost cost me more than I reckoned for.

Your fortunate. The costs associated with a shoulder injury diagnosis and repair are more that what most people can afford. I've had a clavicular repair for a bad fracture once. The costs associated with that could have bought me a nice hunt and new bow. I had insurance with 80% coverage too. Good thing I've got Obamacare! Ya Right?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Your fortunate. The costs associated with a shoulder injury diagnosis and repair are more that what most people can afford. I've had a clavicular repair for a bad fracture once. The costs associated with that could have bought me a nice hunt and new bow. I had insurance with 80% coverage too. Good thing I've got Obamacare! Ya Right?!
    I am very fortunate. 22 years with the same insurance company and this is the first time I've had to go shopping around. The first outfit wanted a post dated check for $xx,xxx prior to the surgery and they were almost double that of my second choice. I don't want to turn this into a political thread but you touched a nerve. Not one doctor or nurse I spoke to had a positive outlook for the future. This may be the last time I get to make a decision like this just between me and the doc. It's looking more and more like bureaucrats will be making these decisions in the future or regulate it so that you have no personal choice in who, when and where. If the government takes over the responsibility to pay they also get to decide when not to pay. If this procedure doesn't work then I'll to learn to shoot with the opposite hand or a bite release because I don't have endless pockets either. Either way, I need to build an "Old Guys" bow for next year. Gone are the days of the 60# stick. Fred Bear said you can kill anything in North America with a 50# bow. I'll be putting that to the test.

I had my shoulder redone about 5 years ago after 5 dislocations. The cost of the surgery has probably broke even with the cost of the E.R. visits.

Good luck with your shoulder surgery. Bummer. I would never have imagined what pain a shoulder can create. Hope you have a good outcome.

Can you PM me on who you used? I am in a similar situation. I broke my shoulder skiing about 20 years ago. Have had it worked on 2 times. Need a 3rd I'm afraid. Seen a doc recently, general physician. He recommended therapy a couple months ago.

Therapist says that I severed my conoid and trapezoid ligaments (collarbone) but that it is fine that way. My pain was pretty bad prior to my Kodiak hunt. Therapist says that once the ligaments tear, the pain subsides - which happened. Now, 2 months later, the pain is back and I can kind of feel it in my rotator area.

So I am going to schedule the MRI and see what that looks like. I am hesitant to work out (therapy - not weights - rubberbands) thinking that I might be harming the rest of the arm. Better to be strong going into a knife if needed though.