Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing on the little su?

Default fishing on the little su?

hey I was wondering how the kings are doing on the lower little sue. was hopping to try for kings around the little sue access out at knike goose bay. any one been out there how the fishing this early. whats the water like and is it high or low?

Default Little Sue

I live only a few miles from the lil sue and it is low with no fish. I have been checking it every couple of days and there is nothing going on. I have heard that there were a few caught here and there (stragglers), but it is real slow and the boaters that have gone down near the mouth have not been doing any good either.

Default Little su update

Just drove over Little Su at Schrock today, and its up about 6 inches from 2 days ago. Water levels are still super low for this time of year, but there are a few fish in the river. What I heard from one guide 2 days ago is that the fish he saw were mostly wakes zipping downstream away from his boat- the low water makes them fairly skittish.

I've been out there 5 times so far...seen 2 roll but haven't had a bite. Water seemed low, but I don't know what's "normal". Gonna give it another try tomorrow. One of these days....

Default Friday update

3 Rivers Fly and Tackle weighed 4 kings from the Little Su today, 3 in one boat. The biggest was 34 pounds, down to 19 pounds. 1 was slightly blushed. The biggest of the 4 was caught upstream of Burma Landing. Water has come up a little bit down there, but still very low, so use extreme care! Even downriver of the launch, a prop is very much not recommended! Also, due to low water, a lot of corners are very tight- u may need to dodge into the bushes, so be prepared for bank combing. A much better alternative than swapping aluminum with another boat!

Question any updates?

ok well the lower sue was deader then dead over memorial day weekend. was wondering if it has improved any since then? is the water still low. could i get away with running a small zodiac with a prop. or am i still just looking to have the river eat my prop. looking to try this weekend again any word on the upper river? was looking to go back to the knike goose bay access and try my luck again. any up dates would be helpful.

I wouldn't recommend running a prop right now, the water is quite low. If we get some rain and the water comes up you *might* get away with running a zodiak and prop downstream.

Default still low, but more fish

Well, the board on June 1 reported over 30 fish. The derby leader and 3 other fish 44# and up have been caught from the Little Su. So far its been the best fishery in the valley, though thats not saying much! Water is still low, but up a little and clarity is lower.

My 10 year old son landed a 20 lb King about half a mile downriver from the Knik Goosebay launch... he was the only one that got a fish. Saw a couple other boats with Kings... 2 with 1 and 1 boat brought back 3 kings... they're there... the fishing should only get better from now...

Default How shallow?

How low is it down stream from the Landing? I have a bigger boat this year.
    I talked to a guy at the mouth of the Deshka River yesterday and his boat was dammaged from getting T-Boned on the Little Sue. He said he turned right and hit the bank and the other boat turned left right in to him.

Default Was down there last night

# 14 checked in as I got there at about 6 pm. Slower than the 34 count on friday. I have a company get together there on Wednesday. I haven't been King fishing in 12+ years in AK. I used to fish the Gulkana and Clear creek back in the day with pixies. Can anyone give me advice on lure setups for this river. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dbull66 View Post
    How low is it down stream from the Landing? I have a bigger boat this year.
    I talked to a guy at the mouth of the Deshka River yesterday and his boat was dammaged from getting T-Boned on the Little Sue. He said he turned right and hit the bank and the other boat turned left right in to him.
    Downstream gets plenty deep fairly quickly, its just the first couple turns you have to watch out for. There are too many variables for me to give you advice on whether your particular boat would be ok or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nibenza View Post
    # 14 checked in as I got there at about 6 pm. Slower than the 34 count on friday. I have a company get together there on Wednesday. I haven't been King fishing in 12+ years in AK. I used to fish the Gulkana and Clear creek back in the day with pixies. Can anyone give me advice on lure setups for this river. Much appreciated.
    Many people backbounce k15 kwikfish from the boat. I prefer to get on the bank and drift corkies. Others use large Vibrax spinners.

Default Thanks

He did mention that we would be bank fishing. When bouncing corkiies or spinners how do you position the weight? What type of swivels. It's probably been covered a hundrend times but..................

Default PS

We'll be fishing all day Wedesday so I'll leave an update for all the weekend warriors.

Default update

I went on saturday 6/2 the water is still pretty low and murky. but the fish are starting to trickle in. 34 were caught on friday. saw one guy walking out with one. my roomate got a small jack barley 10lb 22 inches long. my other buddy had one on but spit the hook. we saw 5 fish roll while we were there.fished for about 8 hours. he got his on a vibrax. but people seemed to be doing better with corkies and squids. heard that from about 6 diffrent people on the river. should just keep getting better and better. am hopin to get back up there later this week. if not this weekend for sure. there were reports of a 50lb caught up stream from the launch. so some hogs are in the river. i would say by mid june should be pretty good.

Default tackle

i have been sticking to pixie spoons and vibrax spinners. with the larger pixies should not need much if any weight. same goes for vibraxes. if u do need weight couple larger spilt shot should do the trick for these put it about 8"-14" up from the leader. your hook should run about mid depth of the river. will have to experiment with it depend on the tide and curretn of the river. i usually at least a 30lb barrel swivel and leader. should be more then adeaquet for what u need. Same idea with corkies although u will need more weight since they are much lighter. get the rubber cored twist weight 1/4-3/4 oz and jsut apply as needed. if u are tieing your own corkie make sure u give them 12"-22" of line to run on. bright colors are better since the water is still pretty murky. i hope this helps. good luck

Default Tackle

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how we do.

I'm heading back tomorrow for Round 8. 0-fer-7 so far. Hope to change that tomorrow. If not, I might have to try to find the Deshka or Lake Creek one of these days.

0-fer-8... ...Finally had a bite, though--on a spin-n-glo behind a jet diver. Missed it. Tryin again this weekend...or maybe heading to the Deshka circus or Yentna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast