Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hudson Bay, worth the price?

Default Hudson Bay, worth the price?

I have been waiting to pick up a Hudson Bay for a year or so but since they decided to close up I have become much more serious about it. I contacted both mid-canada and the dealer in Whitehorse. I was informed that the factory had two in stock and the place in Whitehorse had one with a bunch if options. Before I got a price from my contact at Scott I found out the outfit in Whitehorse had gotten their hands on both of them. After that the fully decked out one was sold and the other two bare bones they just picked up were quoted at about 3-500 more than the one that was "sold." What I am wondering is how much others have bought their HB's for from Whitehorse. It seems like now that Scott is out of business the price has risen(which is to be expected, but I just want to know how inflated they have become) from previous quotes I had gotten. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Bought mine 2 years ago in Maine..it has the seat up in the bow option and the center seat storage option and spray rails and white ash trim...4500.00 brand new. If that helps any..

Thanks Nessmuck, I appreciate the info, I was quoted quite a bit more for only black vinyl and splash rails, but it's quite a bit further to ship so I'm hoping someone else who bought theirs up in Whitehorse paid something similar to what I was quoted. I am willing to pay a little more since it's pretty much the only option I have to get one after a few years of wanting one but not having the budget for it.

I miss fishing already...it's now put away for it wintahs nap !!

Like Nessmuck indicated, 4500 for the canoe...with ash trim, center storage, Kevlar keel (section at bow to take on the shoreline). Really not too may options to add to that canoe. I had my HB shipped from Ontario to Calgary for ~880.00 US. That was for canoe/trailer.

I picked up my HB in Whitehorse last April for 5800. That was with the Ash trim and splash rails, Kevlar keel guard on the bow. And for a long shaft set up.

do you have a better deal , at this time they are the only one that has what you want I think , if they doubled the price , if that is what you want you better get it now befor the price goes up more , SID

You can go years on craigslist without seeing a Scott canoe, and when it does happen, it moves quickly.

If you've got one in front of you and the price is close to what you'd call right, snap it up and don't look back. And know that if you decide to sell it, the market (as you know, now) is a seller's market so no worries. I bet you'll never sell it.

Thanks Yetna, that's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the advice guys and hopefully when I get back to town I will be Whitehorse bound!

you made the correct decisiom , see you on the water SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    do you have a better deal , at this time they are the only one that has what you want I think , if they doubled the price , if that is what you want you better get it now befor the price goes up more , SID
    I'm not usually one for "panic buying", but, in this case, Sid is right. What I wonder is, if it wasn't in your budget before, how is it in your budget now? But yeah, whatever deal they're offering you now, it's a bargain at twice the price, which will probably BE the price a year from now.

Well....those molds won't be trashed. So, stay tuned.

AKSasquatch have you read the post by Kandik? He was one of the first around here to get an HB. The six year report or whatever he titled it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    Well....those molds won't be trashed. So, stay tuned.
    I hope you're right.

But surely they said the same thing when John Klingle stopped making jackass lifts in Alaska. And indeed now you can't find anyone making use of Klingle's lift templates/forms.

You never know.

Default Hudson Bay, worth the price?

I have tried to read every thread about the HB I could find, some are very lengthy and most get off topic after a few pages. I understand the limits of such a boat but it seems to be the best option out there unless another company springs up to fill the space that Scott held. As far as it not being in my budget before, it's amazing how when you save money every month you eventually have enough to make larger purchases, I was hoping to wait until spring so I wouldn't have a brand new canoe sitting around unused all winter but that just won't be the case I guess. I appreciate everyone's advice and at this point the mods can delete this because I am now armed with the information I needed. Thanks again guys!

Let us know what the few remaining HB 's go for ..as in price and options..thanks

From time to time do a search for HBs on the web... there may be a few showing up that may not be utilized as much as the owner thought. The summer before I had mine built, I almost bought a mint condition, lightly used HB.

they still make the old stand by GRUMMAN 19 an they are great for the smaller rivers in south Central Alaska an they do take the rocks very well
    a lot better than the layer type [ FOAM in between to layers ] not the best for large lakes but not bad, an will last a long time an you can carry it
    [ some ,not to far ] it can be car / TK toped in my case the best don't have a trailer an can launch with out a ramp
    SID
    PS lift if you bring your plans in , there is a person or 2 that will make a lift from your plans [not hard to get plans ]

I just bought a brand new Hudson Bay for 6k Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Trapper View Post
    I just bought a brand new Hudson Bay for 6k Canadian.
    Great news... with trailer? Post photo, we like to see these canoes! I am guessing they are getting harder to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast