Thread: 44 mag casting questions

Default 44 mag casting questions

Anyone shoot a marlin 1894 ss with cast bullets? IF you do what diameter mold are you using a what sort of speeds and is it gas checked?

While not a SS, I am shooting .431 sized cast bullets from my blued 1894. I get my cast bullets from Oregon Trails in lots of 500. They seem to group well and so far no issues. Are you still using the standard open sights or have you put a scope on yours?

im using open sights. But i can usually hit a clay at 100 yards in 2 of 3 shots. Im very happy that i can shoot that off a bench. Never had a scope on it. I just want a load that is paper plate at 100 with open sights that doesnt lead that also has decent velocity. i bought this mold TL430-240-SWC.

For me I it is easier to get my cast bullets from Oregon Trails. There are some good cast bullets locally also. While it is a good idea to be able to cast your own bullets, I choose to spend the time either reloading or shooting.
    I install a set of XS ghost ring sights on my 1894. So far I am happy with them and only need to work on the trigger to make this rifle really shine.

Well it will poke paper fine, make great cowboy loads. For critters Id want a bigger fatter meplat and a gas check to be able to push it harder but your paper plate will be in mortal danger from it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I get cast bullets fm Lee Stoner - 376-9488. I've used a lot of different ones, and they're the best, IMO.

I don't trust OT bullets. I had some OT bullets in 30-30 that crumbled when I shot'em through bundles of magazines.

SIGN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've bought many and have many lee stoner cast bullets left. His 45-70 bullets are awesome!!

Default 45/70 bullets

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    I've bought many and have many lee stoner cast bullets left. His 45-70 bullets are awesome!!
    Ditto: I have been shooting stoner bullets from a buffalo rifle, rolling block with long brass scope. 3 shots touching at 100 yards, consistently. YaHooo! Fun to shoot.
    NRA Lifetime Member