Thread: Kodiak DIY deer on a budget

Default Kodiak DIY deer on a budget

Wondering about the practicality of a late November or early December DIY deer hunt on kodiak. Would be fine with packing in and camping and I do have plenty of experience camping in areas with equally inclement weather. Just wondering if kodiak is a good place for a DIY hunt or if the hunting will be substantially better if I am dropped off by boat.

My my main concern is cost although if there are any outfitters who can do a single dropoff and pick up a week or so later for a reasonable cost I would be interested.

Well, you wont be able to hunt the road system. Therefore you will need a boat or a plane to drop you off.

Figure you can do a drop deer hunt on Kodiak for about a grand in transportation. Not figuring in any other costs.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

For a group of 2 or 4 would I be looking at a total cost of a grand or $1000 a person? I'm assuming this is just for one dropoff and not to and from every day?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Call one of the air taxi operations- they can easily give you a per hour rate- for a group of 2/3 one beaver flt should do it- time dependent on where you go, south end will give you the best odds of limiting, but it will cost you more as its a longer flt.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

A Beaver here will cost $600-$1000 round trip to get into decent deer hunting territory. Further towards the southern end of the island can be upwards of $2500. I highly recommend Andrew Air.

You might contact Kodiak Charters in Larsen Bay. (http://www.kodiak-charters.com/) They have been pretty reasonable with me.

One person could get
    Into a great area with a 206 for a grand. You could get two or three into the same area for 1700 (roughly) total. Do the math. This does not include flights to the island, food lodging transportation any of that stuff. With frequent flyer miles or a truck on the ferry you could probably pull a trip off for three guys for around a grand a piece start
    To finish.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'd let the deer population recover,it's really low right now from a couple of bad winters.