Thread: air taxi for deer hunting

Default air taxi for deer hunting

Well.. season's been pretty good to me so far but I still have the bug. I want to go deer hunting out of whittier but it looks like mostly water taxi services. Anyone know a good air taxi and the approximate cost?? I want to go sometime after dec 14th (solo).

I wanted to do a similar trip a couple of years ago and found it difficult to find an air taxi for a reasonable price. I decided on a boat trip instead.

If and when you go I have some advice:

1) Rent a satellite phone.
    2) Use one of the public cabins which are plane access only (if you take a plane).
    3) Bring a handheld marine VHF radio (for weather reports if nothing else).
    4) Take enough supplies to stay an extra week.

Good luck.

Natron in Soldotna
    Its not cheap but avgas at $6+ etc, etc....

Quite a few years ago we flew in with Rust's Flying Service: http://www.flyrusts.com/ I can't recall what the price was or even if it was competitive. One thing they did tell us was that if Anchorage got weathered in for our return flight they will have to take us into Valdez. Sure enough, that's what happened. If we could have waited a couple days it would have been fine, but a buddy had to get back to his job so we had to leave. Ended up renting a U-Haul in Valdez and driving it back home.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I wanted to do a similar trip a couple of years ago and found it difficult to find an air taxi for a reasonable price. I decided on a boat trip instead.

If and when you go I have some advice:

1) Rent a satellite phone.
    2) Use one of the public cabins which are plane access only (if you take a plane).
    3) Bring a handheld marine VHF radio (for weather reports if nothing else).
    4) Take enough supplies to stay an extra week.

Good luck.
    The only thing I'd add to that is take enough extra food for two extra weeks. It can happen, especially that time of year. Also, in the event of bad weather, you're more likely to be able to be picked up by a boat than a plane. But you need a protected beach from the prevailing wind so a skiff can land without swamping.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Probably any of the taxis out of Lake Hood could do it. As I recall, its an hour or a little more from Lk Hood (to Montague), so you're looking at a 4 hour charge for the round trip. Going that late might make for slim pickings - what with the EO for protecting does & bucks dropping their antlers. I'd try for an earlier hunt, myself.

I didnt realize there was an EO out until just now. Well that sucks... I have to go after dec 14 because that's when the semester ends for school. I recently got divorced and spend most my free time hunting. It's pretty awesome... I just have to work around college.

Try Rust's Flying Service or Cordova Air. If Cordova Air's price is decent, you could always use your mileage plan (if you have one) to get to Cordova for just 15000 miles RT. Cordova Air flies the sound constantly for the hatcheries so maybe they would cut you a deal if you fit in with their schedule?