Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off and Running!

Default Off and Running!

OK, our season opened this past Tuesday and I managed to punch in 8 DP coon sets ( in the rain ) before flying off to work !
    First run yielded 1 big ole boar coon and 3 pesky opossums! I hate rain! I took off the next 6 days to archery deer hunt and hopefully get out a total of 50 coon sets - too muddy for coyotes will tackle them later! I will try to get some good pics for you chaps!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Can't wait to see pictures of one of those Raccoons! I'd like to harvest one when I'm back in Washington this year!

Howdy Limon, I will get some pics as weather is supposed to be clear and cool the next week, I hate to drag the camera out in the rain! I thought I had a big boar since it was so big but tonight when I skinned it, it turned out be a XXL female! I had not fleshed and stretched any hides for too may years to count, but decided to do it right this year if the old body will hold up. I bought a skinning machine and it really works great and saves a LOT of muscle work, however the fleshing took a bigger toll on these arms and hands than I thought. My 15 yr old partner got his first taste of skinning by doing 2 of the possums - he did real good, never one complaint and I told him tomorrow night he can do a coon or two!
    Teacherman inspired me to do a running story and his pics were great - kudo's to him and his partner! Its great to share the fun even if we are miles apart, the love is a common bond for sure...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

hey smokey, just returned home to the kenai from bow hunting white tail down in your neck of the woods on my farm in sangamon co.. what a great time of year to be down there and the hunting was great ! you should be pileing up the coons if you are anywhere near sang. co. they were every where. i know some old coon hunters from when i was growing up down there. getting ready to do a little predator control up here in the near future.take care of a few of those illinois coyotes to didnt see i phesant the whole time. where do you fly to work?

Hi mud dog, I work in Spfd and live 42 miles north! Glad you could get down to hunt! We have lost lot of quality bucks due to blue tongue, still some nice ones roaming around! This one interfered with my trapping plans today, 21st trip out and first decent buck I have seen....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer picks 094.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	75018

OK limon, these are for you! Caught 2 coon on 8 sets, planned to set 42 moreClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer picks 096.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	75019 today but after whacken that 10 pointer at8:30 my plans changed! I ended up getting out 32 more sets but by 2:30 I was spent. Had to deal with the buck and skin the coons. I am sure sore tonight!

Can't get photobucket working from home so bear with me!

Name:	Deer picks 099.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	75020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer picks 101.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	75021
    Marshmellows and catfish bait works fantastic in DP coon traps, and if ya want a snack while setting traps those marshmellows are sure handy!

good job on the nice distraction buck. local buddys were telln me about the blue tounge what a bummer. i grew up in mechanicsburg and worked at roland machinery and if you work in spfld you probably know where that is. i took a nice ten pointer off the farm before inlisted in helping with the harvest. im still new on here and tried to figure out how you put your pic up but no luck. sounds like you guys are finally getting cooled off down there.good luck getting the rest of your line set.

Mud Dog go to the main Forum page and scroll to the bottom and look for Forum Tips and there is quite a bit of info on pic postings. When you make a post look at the menu bar and on the far right side you will see the ABC check mark. Hold your arrow over the 4th icon to the left of the ABC icon and click on it and it will lead you to where you can pull up pics from your pc. Let me know if you need more help. And yes, very familiar with Roland Machinery.

Awesome pictures Smokey! So odd to be up here, wishing I could head south to hunt coyotes, hogs, deer and trap muskrats and racoons! I'll feel better when its fishing season I guess!

Good luck on the rest of your season!

Day 2, 25 degrees, bow hunted until 8:00 saw several small deer and lots of frost! Ran 40 sets today and managed to get 2 more out but with a deer to butcher and 12 fresh coons to skin I had all that I could handle - my body actually said I had too much!
    Here are a pair of doubles, 2nd coon is down by the stream in 2nd pic..

Name:	Coons 2013 006.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	75041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coons 2013 010.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	75042

A couple more action shots! Beautiful day, had 2 bald eagles circle me but camera was not handy...

Name:	Coons 2013 001.jpg 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	75045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coons 2013 009.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	75046

Last ones...

Name:	Coons 2013 007.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	75047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coons 2013 015.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	75048

My Partners!

Name:	coons 1 002.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	75087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coons 1 014.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	75088

Skinning machine in action! Best labor savor for sure!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coons 1 005.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	75089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coons 1 008.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	75090

Got 6 ringtails today, one huge sow with beautiful black fur and a rubbed spot right in the middle of her back Grrrrr. I can skin 6 an hour with the electric winch...

Name:	coons 1 011.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	75091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coons 1 012.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	75093

Got 37 now in 4 days, pulling majority tomorrow as I have to go back to work Wednesday and just not enough left in the tank to burn the candle at both ends! Will add a few sets near work though as our goal is 50 coons and 20 coyotes!

Better pic of machine...

Name:	Skinner2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	75094

Good stuff Smokey! Is your skinning "machine" just for hanging? The machine isn't actually doing any of the skinning is it?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Good stuff Smokey! Is your skinning "machine" just for hanging? The machine isn't actually doing any of the skinning is it?
    limon32, you start out by cutting around the rear legs, I then tie a couple wire loops one to each leg and hang the critter. Then with the electric motor I can adjust it to whatever level I want as I can sit in a chair or stand. Then I strip the tail and lower the animal until I can clamp the loose skin/fur at each leg into the vice grips that have 3 pieces of rebar welded in the jaws to expand the gripping surface. then I can run the hoist at whatever pace I think I can and simply touch up a bit with the knife as I go, take a whole lotta pullng out of the equation and my hands and arms sure appreciate that!
    chaps musta left the freezer door op en as it was a brisk 16degrees when I climbed into a deer stand this morning with a 15- 25mph north wind! I did have a bruiser buck show up with a girlfriend and for 5 1/2 hrs he teased me at about 150 - 200 yards! Pulled traps and had zero coon as it snowed last night and blew hard and they just holed up... Back to work tomorrow

How long does it take you to skin, flesh and stretch a coon? I remember as a kid coons where horrible fatty...

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    How long does it take you to skin, flesh and stretch a coon? I remember as a kid coons where horrible fatty...
    Hi TM! Well, I can skin one in about 8 minutes if I am careful not to make any cuts in the pelt. I bought a new beam, a couple good knives, and a dozen adjustable wood stretchers as I wanted to put the fur up proper. But, the days activities wore me down too quickly and the hands and back just said enough, so I got 2 fleshed and stretched and I would say I took about 20 minutes to do each. I have about 40 all skinned and washed and dried and combed in a freezer and I may try to flesh and dry a few at a time and see if I can handle that. The fur buyer only pays about $3.00 more for dried pelts so if I cut one up it takes a lot more to make it worthwhile. However I sure do like to see nicely handled pelts and doing it all sure adds to the pride of tradition... And yes, they are VERY fat!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast