Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ouch, power-out landing in snow video

  1. #1
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default Ouch, power-out landing in snow video

    Not much snow, so I am somewhat surprised as to what happened.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDQVN_G1bM4
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  2. #2
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Wow, at least the pilot didn't have to contend with a bunch of screaming passengers. Gotta give credit to the guy recording for staying calm and the pilot of course.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    ​Seems pretty cold for carb ice, doesn't it?

  5. #5
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Yeah. Temp was 25 F and dew point 19 F....

    Maybe ice / water in the fuel.

    That snow was not very deep. I bet that if he had slowed her down with some flaps and kept the tail down and nose up, he might have had a softer flip-over if any. But who knows how solid the farm soil was under that snow. The people were not sinking in very far.

    At least everyone walked away in good spirits. Around Homer half the bums in town would be running to a lawyer or the hospital, even if they were not on the plane.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Given the temperature, and only a thin snow cover, the ground was probably pretty hard, too. And I think you're right, Alex, about the technique. I shouldn't throw stones . . . I once did that with a C-170 when landing in 24" of snow that looked to be only 8" to 12". It had rained-snowed-rained-snowed there, and the "sandwiched" snow cover was more than I could handle, obviously. PILOT ERROR in my case.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I'm curious why he chose a snow covered field. Looked like an unlimited length piece of asphalt out the passenger window.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onebadjudge70 View Post
    I'm curious why he chose a snow covered field. Looked like an unlimited length piece of asphalt out the passenger window.
    It is explained exactly why they chose the field and not the road on the description under the video when you go to the video page. I believe it had to do with close proximity to powerlines and power lines crossing the roadway. The passenger who shot the video (so not the pilot trying to justify a bad choice for example) agreed 100% that the field was the best option available to them.

  9. #9
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The passenger who shot the video (so not the pilot trying to justify a bad choice for example) agreed 100% that the field was the best option available to them.
    Unless the passenger is licensed with the same certs and has similar or more hours logged in this type of craft in these types of situations, IMO what the passenger thinks was best is about as relevant as his thoughts on the Easter Bunny.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SockeyeOne View Post
    Unless the passenger is licensed with the same certs and has similar or more hours logged in this type of craft in these types of situations, IMO what the passenger thinks was best is about as relevant as his thoughts on the Easter Bunny.

    That's nice.... I was simply pointing that out to show that someone with nothing to lose by pointing out a mistake like the pilot would have, agreed that he felt the field was the better option for the reasons stated in the description. The pilot would likely defend his actions whether they were right or wrong. A passenger who could had died as a result of a miscue by another person has no vested interest in defending the actions of that other person.

  11. #11
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    That's nice.... I was simply pointing that out to show that someone with nothing to lose by pointing out a mistake like the pilot would have.........
    I realize that, and I wasn't trying to be rude, sorry if I came off that way.

    I was just trying to illuminate that the inexperienced passengers opinion on if the pilot made the proper decision or not is not very credible. Might as well ask him about the Easter Bunny for all his opinion is truly worth.

    There is two ways to look at it I suppose.

    First would be, "Wow, we just ditched your plane in a field and we are all walking away from it. You are an awesome pilot!"

    Second would be my take. "I don't know anything about this pilot, so I can't comment on if he is a hero or a fool, but I am sure as hell not taking the word of a passenger who doesn't fly on if he chose the best course of action or not."

    I am sure there are other observations that could be made as well, including that I must be an insensitive ***** for posting my opinion on the matter.

    YMMV.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SockeyeOne View Post
    I realize that, and I wasn't trying to be rude, sorry if I came off that way.

    I was just trying to illuminate that the inexperienced passengers opinion on if the pilot made the proper decision or not is not very credible. Might as well ask him about the Easter Bunny for all his opinion is truly worth.

    There is two ways to look at it I suppose.

    First would be, "Wow, we just ditched your plane in a field and we are all walking away from it. You are an awesome pilot!"

    Second would be my take. "I don't know anything about this pilot, so I can't comment on if he is a hero or a fool, but I am sure as hell not taking the word of a passenger who doesn't fly on if he chose the best course of action or not."

    I am sure there are other observations that could be made as well, including that I must be an insensitive ***** for posting my opinion on the matter.

    YMMV.
    I would take the opinion of the passenger over that of someone thousands of miles away judging from about 30 seconds of a cell phone youtube video taken from too far away to see any details. That's what I am trying to say.

  13. #13
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would take the opinion of the passenger over that of someone thousands of miles away judging from about 30 seconds of a cell phone youtube video taken from too far away to see any details. That's what I am trying to say.
    Noted, but the video is not what I am basing my assumptions on.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Not much snow, so I am somewhat surprised as to what happened.
    I imagine the pilot tried to hold the plane off as long as possible. Probably had the elevator give up and dropped the nose, not uncommon in 172s. Hit the field nose wheel first, collapse the nose gearů. Whatever he did the event appeared to be as unspectacular as flipping a plane can be. The passengers weren't too alarmed. No blood. Good job.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Or on the other hand, I don't hear a stall horn right before impact. If he landed too fast the 172 nose gear would be easy to fold up on rough ground. Same result.

  16. #16
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    If you freeze frame the video right after the flip over the camera lands on the ceiling ( which is now the floor) and is looking right up at the throttle, carb heat, mixture and other knobs on the panel.

    I once put a Super Cub up on its nose bowl in a berry bog while only rolling along at walking speed. 4 feet away from the path my buddy had just taxied through.... So sometimes stuff happens.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Given the temperature, and only a thin snow cover, the ground was probably pretty hard, too. And I think you're right, Alex, about the technique. I shouldn't throw stones . . . I once did that with a C-170 when landing in 24" of snow that looked to be only 8" to 12". It had rained-snowed-rained-snowed there, and the "sandwiched" snow cover was more than I could handle, obviously. PILOT ERROR in my case.

    Not to run this off course, but can you land a 170 on wheels on 8-12" of snow??

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole' blue View Post
    Not to run this off course, but can you land a 170 on wheels on 8-12" of snow??

    Certainly, and I've done it a few times. I'd recommend less than full flaps on a C-170B model, though. And fresh, dry snow is much less problematical. Don't relax during the landing, and stay on the power - - - just in case ........................

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •