Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: RM764 in 20A

  1. #1
    Member gutleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    308

    Default RM764 in 20A

    Was wondering if anybody is thinking of doing this hunt before the snow gets too deep. I talked with F&G last week and they have no reported harvests as of yet. You are required to report within 5 days of a kill so I don't think anyone is hunting. The river is as low as I have seen it in the last 4-5 years. Should be no problem getting wheelers accross.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    Was wondering if anybody is thinking of doing this hunt before the snow gets too deep. I talked with F&G last week and they have no reported harvests as of yet. You are required to report within 5 days of a kill so I don't think anyone is hunting. The river is as low as I have seen it in the last 4-5 years. Should be no problem getting wheelers accross.
    Where you crossing the tanna with a wheeler?

  3. #3
    Member gutleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Not the Tanana but the Delta River south of Donnely Dome. The sub-unit is 5c and 5d. Any one want to go this weekend?

  4. #4
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Have you ever been into those sub units? Last time I checked there are no trails going from the Delta River crossing all the way to those two sub units so it might take you a bit longer than expected to cover that ground.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    You will not access 5C/5D from the Delta river side period! You have to ride your wheeler over a mtn range then through spruce thickets. Best way is to cross the tanana but have to wait until it freazes there is reason why fish and game hasnt had reports of any harvests. Everyone that will do this hunt is waiting for the tanana to freeze up which will probably be in late January. Bronco and I and others did this hunt in January of 2011 and it was -40 in January 2012 we did the hunt again the weather was nice but overflow was was bad it would be -30 one day warm up to 0.

  6. #6
    Member gutleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Have you ever been into those sub units? Last time I checked there are no trails going from the Delta River crossing all the way to those two sub units so it might take you a bit longer than expected to cover that ground.
    I have been right on top of the ridge that over looks Delta Creek which comes off the Trident Glacier but have not been any further. It is slow going with a wheeler as it is alpine tundra but it is very doable.

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You will not access 5C/5D from the Delta river side period! You have to ride your wheeler over a mtn range then through spruce thickets. Best way is to cross the tanana but have to wait until it freazes there is reason why fish and game hasnt had reports of any harvests. Everyone that will do this hunt is waiting for the tanana to freeze up which will probably be in late January. Bronco and I and others did this hunt in January of 2011 and it was -40 in January 2012 we did the hunt again the weather was nice but overflow was was bad it would be -30 one day warm up to 0.
    There are multiple trails from the Delta River side that go up into that area. Those that usually access that area from the Tanana cross at the Little Delta River and run up that way. Some people also cross there and go up Delta Creek. There is also another crossing out of Big Delta alongside Whitestone farms that has a trail going to Delta Creek. I remember reading the write up you guys posted on here back a few years. If I remember correct, you had a pic of a snowmachine stuck in the overflow.

    Here is a few pics of the trails that go up into that area from the Delta River side. Some of the trail is good and some is rough but it is all very doable. Also look on my website and you will see more pics of the trail. PM me if you want more info on the better way to access that area without crossing the Tanana.




  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    We crossed the big delta last october and we were on a trail its gets you up on the flats there is a cabin up there and airstrip as well. They have a shed full of wheelers you drive right past it on the trail we took one trail which ended up on ft greely,we turned around, took another trail that stopped/dead ended at a creek... Another trail went so far and we just made our own way onto to the top of the ridge. We hunted that whole area last october. Im not doubting but suspect need to keep going on that trail that goes onto ft greely...

  8. #8
    Member Kmagers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Banks
    Posts
    432

    Default

    I went up last you from donelly dome campground. there is trails that lead back from there. without looking at a map im not sure that its the one you speak of by delta creek. But those pics look very familiar of the one large hill you have to get up but that dozer trail is fairly nice when it is frozen. about 8 mile back. This year though they changed the huntable area so now you have to go back like 15 miles instead of hunting on the west bank on.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •