Thread: Smooth, great quality bolt action .22 lr under $1,000?

Default Smooth, great quality bolt action .22 lr under $1,000?

I am looking to buy a nice .22 lr sporting rifle for my son and I to shoot. The problem is that currently there are not many .22 lr bolt actions in town.

I am looking for something that feels like good quality.

Here are the few I am aware of (but hoping to hear about other options):

Ruger 77/22 rotary in either SS and Synthetic or the classic walnut stock and blued (I own several Ruger 77s)
    Browning T-bolt (I haven't ever held one)
    CZ 455 American (again I don't know what the action is really like) but they make a combo model with swappable barrels
    I may have seen a Cooper out there for under $1,000 but I really don't want to spend $1,000

Others? I am not really interested in a tube fed rifle either.

Who has experience with the T-bolt or CZ? Right now the default winner is the Ruger 77/22...

Thanks,
    Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    ....Right now the default winner is the Ruger 77/22...

Thanks,
    Sobie2
    I can't speak to the others you mention, and likely will never be able to; I too have a stainless 77/22. It's a tack driver. I can't see ever being motivated to trade it out.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have 5 or 6 CZ-452 and CZ-453 Plus a Brno #2 or #3 (I'll leave that to speak for it's self) and one ANCHULTZ.

HOWEVER: I use a small tack hammer for Driving Tacks.......I find it is cheaper and the hits are nearly 100%

CZ's are very nice for the money. Before Kimber quit making .22's about 3-5 years ago they made a nice rifle as well, called the Hunter. It sold for about $750. They show up often on Gunbrokers.
    Coopers are expensive but worth the money. If you watch the auction sights you can occasionally find a sweet deal. They match the accuracy with the quality.

The CZ's are excellent guns for the money. I would not hesitate to buy one if I wanted a quality 22 bolt gun.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Ruger American .22 is out there now. Seen a few in the local shops. Adjustable stocks for kids, too.

I've had a number of .22 bolt rifles… the 77/22 is a very nice rifle and mimics the feel of the 77 perfectly- a bit spendy IMHO but very good.

I've had a Kimber 22- a discontinued model now but frequently a screaming good deal on the used market.

Coopers are great- unlikely to find one for under $1k however….

I recently purchased a CZ 452- "Special Military Training Rifle" with a 24" bbl- gotta say for the money it's incredible. The safety is back-asswards but if that's not a showstopper it's a fine rifle. Mine shoot's quarter size groups at 50yds with a cheap 4x Nikon and Remington bulk pack. Might have to put a better scope and scrounge some Eley and see what it'll do one of these days. All walnut and blued steel without any plastic or chintzy castings found on a lot of American .22 rifles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Savage mkii. I've got the heavy target barrel and accu-trigger and get 2 inch groups at 100yards on good days. It's a 50 yard gun for sure, 25 isn't even fun lol

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Savage mkii. I've got the heavy target barrel and accu-trigger and get 2 inch groups at 100yards on good days. It's a 50 yard gun for sure, 25 isn't even fun lol

sent from my igloo
    I was about to say this very thing. I have the same gun and though there may be prettier or more "heirloom" grade guns available, I doubt there are many off the shelf that will out shoot it. Yes, it does have a plastic trigger guard, but for the price difference you could have a duplicate machined and blued and still have a couple hundred bucks in your pocket. Or just do like I plan to do and make my own with hand tools someday and save even more. I'm also going to put the laminated stock on a diet one of these days, but I've had to do that to every laminated stock I've ever owned. They leave too much wood on the dang things for my taste making them unnecessarily heavy.

CZ 455 Lux in .22lr has been ordered and is on its way! Thank you all for the input. What pushed me over the edge was youtube videos of the rifles, specifically ones which showed the cycling of the bolt. I really like the 455 American with checkering on the foreend, but this gun will be used by me and my children and I want them to have some experience with open sights. Being in the low $400s for either the Lux or the American, I can buy both (so the next purchase will be a CZ 455 American combo with .22 lr, .22 win mag, and 17 HMR barrels). The Ruger was an $800 gun, and I have plenty of Rugers.

Thanks to all!

Sobie2

Congratulations...........

Good choice.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Remington 541s,,very accurate,,adjustable trigger,drilled&tapped for scope mounts

CZ 455 Lux in .22lr has been ordered and is on its way!
    I think you'll be very happy with the CZ. When you scope it look very seriously at Warne rings- they're one of the best solutions I've found for the grooved receiver.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The CZ Lux I had was a fantastic gun, but the trigger was like dragging a 10 pound brick across asphalt until I got it gun-smithed.

Check Rimfire Central....they have an easy way to shim and reduce the return spring pressure on the trigger and make it a lot nicer to shoot.

CZ's are fine guns...my favorite is a well figured full stock 452....with a Williams receiver sight.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Congrats on your gun. I have put a few rounds through my Belgium made Browning T-Bolt and it shoots very well. I have 2-7 Leupold Rim Fire scope and Warne Rings on it and leave it on 6 power. I bought my 10 year old grand son a 16" barreled CZ four years ago and put a Leupold 4X Rim Fire and Warne rings on it for him, it shoots as good as my old T-Bolt. Like most .22 rim fires they are picky about which ammo they shoot best with. I have had good success with the CCI Standard Velocity ammo and it is my go to .22 ammo as most of our .22's shoot it ok. It does not tear up the grouse like high velocity ammo and a head shot bunny is a head shot bunny.

CZ 455 Lux in .22lr has been ordered and is on its way! Thank you all for the input. What pushed me over the edge was youtube videos of the rifles, specifically ones which showed the cycling of the bolt. I really like the 455 American with checkering on the foreend, but this gun will be used by me and my children and I want them to have some experience with open sights. Being in the low $400s for either the Lux or the American, I can buy both (so the next purchase will be a CZ 455 American combo with .22 lr, .22 win mag, and 17 HMR barrels). The Ruger was an $800 gun, and I have plenty of Rugers.

Thanks to all!

Sobie2
    I'm a little slow on the stick here Sobie but it's ok you made the right choice in my book. I have a 5 year old CZ 452 that I shoot at USBR shoots right next to Remington 40X's, Anshutz's and about everything else. I have won more than my share of the shoots with my $375 tack driver. It does a right fine job on tree rats too!