Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: The feds are at it again/still

  1. #1
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default The feds are at it again/still

    http://m.peninsulaclarion.com/news/2013-11-02-2

    I thought this was bs

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  2. #2

    Default

    That does it...dagnabit...I am going to sit right down and write myself a letter to my congresscritter!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    The Feds are violating their agreement with the State of Alaska. When the Feds created all these wildlife preserves, they promised to not impede the customary use of the land by Alaskans. As with anything the Feds get involved in, you give them an inch and they eventually will take a mile. The Feds are permeated with environmental wackos. These people are elitist who want to preserve the land for "their" purposes. They are anti-hunting, trapping. These of course are customary uses by Alaskans. You need to hold your ground with the Feds and fight for your rights. You Kenai people need to raise holy hell down there. It is time to put the Feds in their place, they are stewards of our land, it's not their land.

  4. #4
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    This is getting out of hand...

  5. #5

    Default

    I always feel helpless when stuff like this happens. But, alas, democracy gives us all a collective power. I will be contacting our senators and congressmen today about it. The real question is-will you stand by or do you have five minutes to make a couple phone calls or send a few emails? (Yeah, that's a challenge)

  6. #6
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    I just sent Uncle Don a letter.

  7. #7

    Default

    Elections matter..

  8. #8
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Elections matter..
    They do indeed, but this power struggle has been going on since statehood, though it really kicked in full gear in/after the Carter administration. Nothing new here; just a turf war.

    Letters matter to politicians.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default wildlife diseases are serious stuff

    "Donít be the hunter who sees an abnormal liver and doesnít bother to bring back a chunk for testing."

    Good advice. Also if you're cutting the antlers off the skull, and see abnormal brain tissue (all spongy like), take the entire head to F&G so they can get a sample of spinal fluid and/or brain matter.

  10. #10
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    "Donít be the hunter who sees an abnormal liver and doesnít bother to bring back a chunk for testing."

    Good advice. Also if you're cutting the antlers off the skull, and see abnormal brain tissue (all spongy like), take the entire head to F&G so they can get a sample of spinal fluid and/or brain matter.
    Huh?

    This closure is baloney. Email sent to all 3 Washington pogues.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Sorry to be misunderstood. The closure is not something I can get behind.

    Sending in samples of any animal that looks "not right" internally? Now that I can fully get behind. That's why I quoted that part. Sorry to be vague.

  12. #12
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Well I guess we know where all the wolves will be.......preying on a good chunk of moose that winter in there......

    Dear Uncle Don...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  13. #13
    Member AK-HUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    This is getting out of hand...
    "has gotten"

    I'm so done with these clowns. Get the pitchforks and torches and lets run them the hell out!

    AK pen/ unimak caribou
    kenai bears
    LEAST of all the powder-keg they have created up in the yukon/charley with the locals. And we all know when one of the locals gets tired of getting bullied, they will be painted as "a lone, random crazy" who picked a fight with the peace loving fish cop.

    WHAT OR WHERE is the line in the sand, where we do something?

    At least Uncle Don already cant stand the vermin.

  14. #14

    Default

    Well, I may be banned from this GREAT ALASKAN IF I CAN'T SHOOT IT FROM MY 4- WHEELER SITE IT JUST AIN'T FAIR' forum, but I totally agree with Jack Lentfers letter to the editor in a recent publication. Furthermore, I'd bet that the majority of the" only good bear is a dead bear bandwagon jumper" has never even seen a brown bear or a wolf. Habitat! Habitat! Habitat! If you want to blame thefeds, that is the direction you should direct your efforts .

  15. #15
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I've seen lots of bears and a few wolves. I am curious what the farthest you have packed a moose there gunner?

    There is only so much road accessible land out there and tons of it is already locked up for "animal viewing". There are animals all over the place in this great state and most folks drive right by them at 70mph. I saw about 50 bears this spring most in open areas. We don't need more closed areas, people just need to learn to slow down and look for them. This ain't alaska-land. If you want a zoo go to San Diego, I hear they have a great one.

    These people come out of the city and expect to find animals all over the place. It's not that the animals aren't there. They just don't know how to see them. I don't blame them for lacking the ability some of us hunters have worked hard to develop. Heck my house cat can't catch birds either.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    And one more rep point for LuJon.
    I saw 4 bears just a couple of weeks ago. 1 mature brown & a black bear sow with 2 cubs. All 4 in one trip down the Skilak Loop Rd. By the way, on the same trip we didn't see a single moose on the round trip from Kenai to Cooper Landing...
    Vance in AK.

    Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

  17. #17
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Hasn't the skilak loop area been a problem with dogs in traps in the past? Do any of the refuge management live near by and have dogs?
    The managed take of wildlife does not interfere with wildlife viewing. Consumptive users only get a month to a few months to take wildlife. The rest of the year is totally to the "viewers".
    Doesn't much of F&W service funding come from hunters and fishers? This sort of stuff is really bad.
    Hey Bushrat and HomerD...........will there be a letter from the ABHA?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  18. #18
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hasn't the skilak loop area been a problem with dogs in traps in the past? Do any of the refuge management live near by and have dogs?
    Nobody lives "near by" the loop area. No houses around for a few miles......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  19. #19

    Default

    Plainly put...it is a Cancer, that is incrementally destroying Alaskan's cultural ties to the land, animals and mindsets. It is by design that areas are being closed to hunters. Systematically, the Rabid Anti's are winning their war with the good folks. Every nook and cranny is being locked up or managed for exclusive use by privileged groups. Our federal delegation of reps are complicit in this...in many cases, they have been instrumental in the facilitation of the land grabs and lockups...most certainly so, in the choosing of the privileged.
    Question is: Will the minority once again calmly take a seat at the back of the bus? I'm betting so...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you want a zoo go to San Diego, I hear they have a great one.
    Or Anchorage. You don't even need to go to the Alaska Zoo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •