Thread: DM802 Village Hunting Pressure

Default DM802 Village Hunting Pressure

Hello all, I was doing some pondering for next years hunts and wanted to ask a question about DM802. The hunt area starts at Tananna downstream on the Yukon. My question is how much hunting pressure do you get from the village of Tananna? It looks like the is a substinance moose hunt during the same time. I don't want to go out the and mess around with all of that if that is the case. Any info on this tag would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank u.

I did this hunt a few years back. There really was not that much hunting pressure from anyone, let alone the villagers. We talked to some of the locals and they were pretty much hunting in a different area. We seen a couple boats floating/hunting, but that was in the same day.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

What you are calling a "Subsistence" hunt is actually a registration hunt open to ALL Alaska residents. There will very likely be non locals hunting that area next fall with the registration permit.
    The 802 hunt area starts at Tanana and goes all the way to below the Nowitna. There are several creeks that enter the Yukon on the south side that you can poke your boat into a ways. The north side has creeks to fish in and places with moose. There are several islands in this stretch that a party of 3-5 hunters could drive for moose. All in all, there is no shortage of places to hunt in that area.
    If your in that area with a legal permit, you have just as much right to be there as the next guy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We have far more 'city" hunters come up this way than we do local villagers. The compitition on the landable sandbars is pretty feirce, and most of us here have to avoid "them" and keep an eye on propertys and such........ I imagine a place where folks are connedted to the road system and then launch into the river brings is alotta folks from far away.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    We have far more 'city" hunters come up this way than we do local villagers. The compitition on the landable sandbars is pretty feirce, and most of us here have to avoid "them" and keep an eye on propertys and such........ I imagine a place where folks are connedted to the road system and then launch into the river brings is alotta folks from far away.
    I doubt your claim, but even if you actually have more "city" hunters nearby, they come for a short while and go. I bet one local hunter is equivalent to several "city" hunters, and locals have more time to scout, locate and hammer animals. We all know how this works. You shouldn't be defensive about it, just embrace it. You guys have an advantage over "city" hunters.

There are far mor "city' hunters than locals at that timma year, around here, I wouldnt think it was less anywhere a road would be near as all of the guys that arrive here doso by plane, or at least 90% of them ,but I'm just talking in numbers, as the OP was posting. I'm not at all defensive, please dont think I am,"Them" around here means a stranger, and most come to experiance something of a solitude, so we always let them come to "us" as a sort of ediquet , and most do....... we sell lots of artwork , actually all we have, to those guys as they pass through Kotzebue or Noorvik and we host many who stop in overnight at our camps, shuks, our camp by the inlet might as well be a public shelter cabin... or Noorvik and get a ride to our airport, ect or if we should meet on the river and direct them to places anyone can go, or how to get to this or that places, as we are a delta with 15 mouths and many interconnecting sloughs and channels, and very very confuseing to the first time traveler. Ive never had really bad experiances with those Ive met hunting. Most are happy for the info and give thiers, if they have had luck or not.
    theres plenty of animals to go around, for sure, at least here
    ., oh yes, I agree with the rest, but to me #s is pressure at that given time. Also, I shoulda thrown in that getting in with a local or two can increase yer odds in any hunting situation, thats very true.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I get your point and agree with some of it.