Thread: Polaris sportsman...is automatic ok?

Default Polaris sportsman...is automatic ok?

I am looking at buying a four wheeler for plowing snow and going hunting. When I rode wheelers last they were manual with a foot shifter. Now the one I'm looking at is automatic. Any input on automatics and how they handle the mud and trails we have up here? Im concerned with power and going up and down hills and through thick stuff. Do you guys prefer automatics? I'm specifically looking at the 2014 polaris sportsman 570 EFI. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Anymore the new automatics work just fine. The engine breaking systems work great for going down hill. I was concerned also when I bought my first automatic wheeler. Now I can say that if I were to buy another wheeler it would also be an automatic.
    When put in low range, the engine braking system makes you almost have to hit the gas to go down hill. I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 automatic.
    if you are concerned with power you might want to get a bigger engine than the 570 IMHO.

They are always in the right gear. I have no plans to ever go back to shifting my own gears.

I bought my 800 Sportsman used from a friend. I quickly added a Glacier II plow to it. I still smile every time it snows. It makes snow removal fun. The vee belt transmission works fine. Shifting while pushing snow would be a pain. I don't need 800 power but it sure doesn't hurt.

While NOT Polaris, we switched from manual shifting transmissions to automatic ones several years ago. We had manual shift Arctic Cats, but the wife was having 'issues' with her knees. I was going to get an automatic transmission Cat for her and keep my manual one. Well when we went and looked at new Cats, she decided that if we replaced one, we would replace both of them. Needless to say we ended up with two new Cats. We have 'upgraded' once more since then and I would not think about going back to manual transmissions. No more 'wondering' if you are in the correct gear before getting in a mud hole.
    Yes they are worth getting!

I plow with a 04 sportsman 700 that i bought new, and it has been my plow machine and summer machine ever since. I have not had any issues with tranny plowing, now i have broken axles by getting greedy and try to push too much! These things will push and amazing amount of snow for thier size. Now broken axles, I consider that self-inflicted trouble not any fault of machine. My wife rides a 08 500 sportsman and it will go and do anything my 700 will and use less gas.
    Make sure you get hand warmers on that thing, nice for plowing.
    Change the winch cable out for rope in the winter for plowing, as the angle that the winch attaches to the plow will very quickly break your cable. rope is cheap and quick to change out, oh and you only need about 10ft for plowing.
    hope this helps
    Mike

Awesome thanks for all the advice...I just went ahead and ordered the 570 efi sportsman with power steering and hand warmers, 3500 pound wench, racks, and a glacier pro 3 snow plow... I think I will be happy with it, and the best part of all is the price. It was more affordable then the comparable arctic cat, Honda, and Yamaha. I love my Polaris snow machine so I hope the same quality applies with the four wheeler. Thanks again and Ill post how I like it once I get some miles on it.

Nice machine! I plow with a Big Boss and it is a plowing beast! By the way, 3500 pounds is a huge wench! You may need a 3500 lb. winch to pull her with :-)

Haha yea a 3500 pound "wench" is big. Haha my bad. I pick the wheeler and "winch" up tomorrow.

the 570 has 44 hp, which is more than the old 700's had, just not as much as the 800's and way more than the 36 hp of the old 500's

I started using Polaris automatic machines in 1996 and doubt I will ever own a manual shifter again. My wife's Razor has the 570 engine and I like it's power and fuel economy. Between my daughters family and my wife and I we have 7 Polaris machines with automatic transmissions. If I buy a 4-heeler again it will be a 570. Just do all your plowing in low gear and don't get to big a snow build up before plowing.