Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowler lost boat with tide.. Request help

Default Waterfowler lost boat with tide.. Request help

Ok.. It was not me..

A waterfowling friend of mine was at RS ramp and met a guy there who almost lost his life and dogs when try both got stuck in the slough.. In the heat of things and the dark his boat got lose and is gone. Pretty sure in the last 48 hours the tides as high as they have been have claimed another rig..

If anyone is flying over, knows anyone that is flying over the cook inlet in the next few days.. Ask them to take a quick peek and look around the mouth or RS area. There is always a chance it got pushed up on the bank with the high tides we have had recently. Was a 16-18ft aluminum boat with a longtail motor.

Will leave out the details.. But the waterfowler is lucky.. Had a buddy come pick him and his dog up later that night, looked for the boat and had no luck.

Thanks.. If anyone sees it.. Let me know and we will get in touch with him. Pretty sure she is gone...although I have seen stranger things in Alaska..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Good grief nobody else with a boat went out looking for it Im guessing, might be hung up somewhere downstream. Just glad the guy and his dog are alright, hopefully the boat will be found.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

The guy was me! I was just getting on to put up a post onmy ordeal to warn others when I read this. I have hunted the slough and beenaround tide water’s for a while but what happen to me on Sunday took me by surprise.Here is the story.... It all happen when I was jump shooting and working my waydown the slough. I would pull up to the bank climb up and glass downstream andin the side puddles for birds. I was just past where Wasilla Creek dumps in andI pulled over to the side of the creek. From the water to the grass bank was a gradualincline about 20ft in distance. I staked my boat out in the creek with an oarand walked up on to the grass to glass. The bottom by the boat and up the bankseemed solid as I tested it on the way up. I seen some birds and decide to geta few more shells from the boat. When I stepped off the bank I took three orfour steps and the bank shifted or slid like a small avalanche. In a splitsecond I was up to my thighs in a muddy slurry. Panic set in immediately! Ibegin to struggle to get out and I notice my dog was also stuck five feet or sobehind me. I tried to use my gun and for weight dispersion but on the second attemptmy gun and arms went way under the mud and then I was up to my shoulders. Anyattempt to pull out my gun sucked me in tighter. Gun was gone and I knew it! Icontinued to struggle for what seemed like hours but in reality was only 15 minor so. At one point my dog got out and I sat him on the bank. I had my Delormeinreach in my hand debating whether to hit the SOS when I seen a small piece ofwood in front of me. I was able to get on this stick and worked my feet uptowards the top of the mud and after several real exhausting scrambles I wasable to crawl/roll my way to hard ground by my boat. In the mean while my doghad tried to come to me and was stuck yet once again only worse this time. So Iwent back up my same tracks I took to the bank the first time and nearly gotstuck once again. I was able to low crawl to my dog close enough to grab ascruff of hair under his chin and pull him over my back to safety. Aftergetting back on the hard ground I looked for a solid way to get down to thecreek but it started to get mushy when I stepped on it and I was to scared totempt fate again. To be honest at this point I don’t know if I could have gottenloose if I got stuck again. My thoughts then went to the 30ft tide that was onits way in shortly and I figured waiting for my boat to drift in was not a goodidea so I headed for high ground and met a friend at the first cabin. By thetime he was able to make it down to me it was dark we, attempted a search forthe boat but in insufficient lights and the high tide made it tuff so weaborted the search. Yesterday afternoon I went over by cottonwood/Fairway Loopand glassed the entire area. The boat wasn’t where I left it, as I suspected. Iwon’t be able to head back down until Friday but if someone happens to runacross it and let me know I would greatly appreciate it.
    One last thing, I know this could have happen to someone elseas easily as it happen to me because very close to my boat there were boottracks on the shore. I hope by sharing this experience it may make others thinktwice. I have been in bad situations before but never like this.
    The boat was a 16ft Lowe Jon Boat, rattle can paint job witha Homebuilt Long tail.

DuckHunter01, Thank you for looking out and posting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the boat but that can be replaced very glad you and your dog made it out ok I'll tell my buddy's to be on the look out I'll also let some of the troopers I know that fly to be on the look out
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

You may want to post this up in the Flying forum on here so the pilots can be made aware, and can pass the word along to keep an eye out.

Glad everyone is alright.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Sorry about the boat but that can be replaced very glad you and your dog made it out ok I'll tell my buddy's to be on the look out I'll also let some of the troopers I know that fly to be on the look out
    ThanksSkybust. You know I was just happy to get out of there with me and my dogalive. When I walking back to the cabin a yellow helicopter was hovering aroundmy boat and flying around. I tried to get his attention but he never seen me.When I got home I called the Troopers and Coast Guard so they wouldn’t besearching for me

Alaska Hippie Will do Thanks

Wish somebody had called me, have good lights on the boat and happy to look. I was out hunting the knik side yesterday also but did not go out past 3 mile. One thing about your boat, almost all of those tin boats have foam under the seats and near the transome and will float even if swamped, i suspect it will be found. Bud
    Wasilla

Ruckup, I am Justin(the one you met at the ramp and have been emailing) I told DH01 about this ordeal. I hunt with DH01 a lot and if there is anything I can do to help you let me know. I know for a fact that DH01 would be willing to help also. I know it is a long shot but we are not to far away from snow. I have a snowmobile and i know a few other people who do also. If worse comes to worse when the snow hits and the water freezes up we can go look for your boat and gear then. If we can find it I will get a few people together with sleds and do our best to help you get your stuff back. Send me an email with your number and let me know what we can do for you. I wasn't sure if you were on this forum or not and DH01 had the good idea to post it up here. There are lots of good people on here and that hunt out there so hopefully we can at least find where your rig is.

Glad you both got out ok. Always amazes me how fast things can go from all good to oh ***** up here. Been in similar situations before and serves to remind me to keep my respect for this place. Hope you get your boat back. Good luck.

Ill be hunting out there Thursday and will take a look. Glad you and your hunting partner are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter8 View Post
    Ruckup, I am Justin(the one you met at the ramp and have been emailing) I told DH01 about this ordeal. I hunt with DH01 a lot and if there is anything I can do to help you let me know. I know for a fact that DH01 would be willing to help also. I know it is a long shot but we are not to far away from snow. I have a snowmobile and i know a few other people who do also. If worse comes to worse when the snow hits and the water freezes up we can go look for your boat and gear then. If we can find it I will get a few people together with sleds and do our best to help you get your stuff back. Send me an email with your number and let me know what we can do for you. I wasn't sure if you were on this forum or not and DH01 had the good idea to post it up here. There are lots of good people on here and that hunt out there so hopefully we can at least find where your rig is.
    I have a sled count me in when the time comes I work weekends but have Tuesday Wednesday Thursday off
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Glad you got out with your dog.I have been there in the past and the best way to get out of it is to back stroke like swimming giving you more surface area to stay on top. Scary stuff for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'll see if I can take a look from the air tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
    Glad you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    I'll see if I can take a look from the air tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
    Glad you're ok.
    Wetland Retrievers, Thank you, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Justin, Skybust DH01 and everyone else Thank you These forums truly have some amazing folks on here!

Justin I will email you my contact info

Baron, high tide is towards mid day there, if there is possability you can get out at low tide, morning or evening, i expect the boat will be sitting on a mud flat someplace. too bad its duck boat, camo is hard to see. i have apt in anchorage tomorrow mid day, but will be out with my airboat on thursday. give me a call if you spot it and need help with recovery. Bud
    Wasilla

Glad to hear you are both safe! I'll keep an eye out as well should be out and about in the next few days as well. As stated above if and when the snow flies I'm down to help search by sno go, I'll fire up the super wide track, she loves to pull if the boat is found! I'd like to say hats off to everyone as if I were in this situation I'd mean a lot to see the support everyone has given. Between litter bugs, thieves and down right butt holes I almost gave up thinking that outdoorsmen were the best of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Baron, high tide is towards mid day there, if there is possability you can get out at low tide, morning or evening, i expect the boat will be sitting on a mud flat someplace. too bad its duck boat, camo is hard to see. i have apt in anchorage tomorrow mid day, but will be out with my airboat on thursday. give me a call if you spot it and need help with recovery. Bud
    Bud
    Thanks for your efforts, one identifiable feature the mud motor. The handle was resting on the side fo the boat and the way it is balanced if it comes off the prop will be sticking up in the air. The grab handle may stick out also as well since it is a solid green. I should be able to get away from work Thursday afternoon if you have an extra seat I could come along. I also put my cell below in case anyone happens to find it they can contact me directly.

Thanks
    Scott
    907-231-1558

Below are the coordinates where I left my boat. Give or take 100 yards.

Lat: 61.507386
    Lon: -149.430241

I just recieved a call from the troopers and they found the boat high and dry at coordinates N61 30.46 W149 25.56. I gotta look to see where she is at now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast