Thread: The Boneyard ... on the Yukon ....

Default The Boneyard ... on the Yukon ....

Between Rampart and Tanana on the Yukon is a place referred to as the Boneyard. Can't find it on a map. Dues anyone know where it is or been there?

the boneyard is between tannana an the mouth of the nowitna. it is a hi bluff on an inside bend. it is always sluffing off, and they say you can find fossils there.

It has been a few years but I am pretty sure that the place you are refering to is called the Palisades. It is between Weir Island and Clay Island. If you have the Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer it is on page 121 on the bottom right of the page. Hope this helps!

Talking Palisades!

It has been a few years but I am pretty sure that the place you are refering to is called the Palisades. It is between Weir Island and Clay Island. If you have the Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer it is on page 121 on the bottom right of the page. Hope this helps!

Default Your on the money...

it is called the Palisades...Daniel

Default Boneyard...Palisades....

Thanks, guys, I found it where you said it was. I'd like to check it out sometime soon.

The palisades are cool to go look at sometimes you can see mamoth tusks sticking out. The only probelm is that they are out of the way on a normal trip do to the shortcut that most people take. Getting back to the "boneyard" question there is the "rockpile" that is downstream of Rampart, never heard it called the boneyard though, if you travel between Rampart and Tanana remember to stay on the south bank through there. If you have never seen the rockpile its impressive the river squeezes down to about 1000' wide and at least doubles in speed through there.

Default Boneyard is between Tanana and Ruby

It is a high bluff. I think they are right about the name palisades. They say that sometimes you can actually smell decaying mammoth flesh from the eroding banks as the permafrost melts. I don't know if it is true. I do think there is a legal issue with taking bones and tusks from there now days.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

It's 40 river miles below Tanana. It's just a huge cut bank. Too dangerous to climb and dig around for bones.

Don't even think about climbing up there. One quick way to get killed. They are awsome to look at from below though. I would recomend it to anyone. -Eric

Another good reason not to try to get bones from the Palisades is that I believe it is a federal offence to remove any old bones or other mammoth parts from there. I may be wrong though. I hunt on the Nowitna every year and we used to find mammoth pieces all the time later found out that the feds frown on that. ooops.