Thread: Chena Hot Springs Road Shooting Range

Default Chena Hot Springs Road Shooting Range

I was up at this shooting range last week and it was filthy. It is no wonder that there are so few free public places to shoot anymore. We spent some time cleaning up, but only made a small dent in the mess. I hope that this will at least bring some awareness to the issue. I saw in another post that the Maud Road range has issues too. Let's pick up after ourselves before our opportunities disappear.

Many, many thanks. It's kind of an odd place and even though I drive past it all the time I don't go in very often because as often as not there are some sort of weird guys hanging around and I'm of a female-type persuasion. What you did looks incredible, and is incentive for me to go in and do my bit, too. Thanks again, and you earned yourself some major good karma.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I was there a week and a half ago. Part of the problem was the garbage can was full and running over. Not sure if anyone is supposed to be responsible for that or not. We did take out quite a bit of trash too.

Thats sad, it looks like a nice range too. Thats what happens when there's a free place to shoot and no one is monitoring the place. The public range on Cushman is no different, when I used to shoot there people would bring their old TV's and computer monitors and shoot the lights out of them and there's glass everywhere. I know there are rules at these ranges, but without any type of monitoring, people will do whatever. Even saw a guy dump several bags of trash there and took off. I really enjoyed shooting there, its a nice range, but no control at all. I thinks its worth just getting a membership to a nice range that has control over the members that shoot there.

I haven't shot at the Cushman range in a couple years, but I hoped it got a little better.

I've been wondering about the CHSR range. Don't even know for sure where on the road it is. Cushman range is pretty good, all in all. There are still the TV shooters and those who don't clean up. A LOT of shotgun shooters apparently. Shotgun hulls around every shooting table.
    I see Public workers emptying the trash barrels and seems that trash on the range is cleaned periodically.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I've been wondering about the CHSR range. Don't even know for sure where on the road it is. Cushman range is pretty good, all in all. There are still the TV shooters and those who don't clean up. A LOT of shotgun shooters apparently. Shotgun hulls around every shooting table.
    I see Public workers emptying the trash barrels and seems that trash on the range is cleaned periodically.
    The Cushman range is cleaned every Wednesday morning. All the crap you see there is never more than one week's worth. It's appalling what pigs people are.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The range on CHSR is state maintained as well. I use it a lot early each spring to do load development early mornings as I most often have it to myself. I think it was BLM, workers. Same ones that maintain the toilets, cabins and Rosehip park. I usually haul off a bag or 2 back with me, I'm thankful for the ranges we have in Fairbanks, I have been places where there is no place to shoot legally and I much appreciate what we have.

IMHO, it is not as bad as it was before ammo became scarce and expensive. I've seen lots of folks bring all manners of crap to spray with mil surp ammo and handguns.

I try to go early while the dangerous folks are still sleeping, when they show up, I pack up and leave.

Don't have to spend much time at a public range to see some very dangerous weapon handling and practices.

I was taught to leave a place better than I found it, and I stick to that rule, be it the range, campsite, or the bush.

Be safe and shoot straight.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I was there a week and a half ago. Part of the problem was the garbage can was full and running over. Not sure if anyone is supposed to be responsible for that or not. We did take out quite a bit of trash too.
    Yeah, they were full because of us. We filled up the can and then piled up trash on the side of the can in hopes that the state park rangers could get it from there. Normally, I wouldn't have hesitated to haul it off in my pickup, but we had it full of hunting abd camping stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    IMHO, it is not as bad as it was before ammo became scarce and expensive. I've seen lots of folks bring all manners of crap to spray with mil surp ammo and handguns.
    Last year (2012) during yet another very dry spell someone started a fire there using tracer rounds.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time