Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any open water left?

Default Any open water left?

Hey guys, I'll be back in Anchorage on Thursday after a month away. Is there any open water left in any of the hunting areas where I can run my little Grumman? I expect all the birds are gone, which is fine, as I didn't hunt a single day this year-never even bought a stamp, pathetic. I bought a new, to me, outboard an haven't even gotten home yet and want to get some use out of it if I can. Figured if there was water open now would be a good time, won't be spooking birds.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hey guys, I'll be back in Anchorage on Thursday after a month away. Is there any open water left in any of the hunting areas where I can run my little Grumman? I expect all the birds are gone, which is fine, as I didn't hunt a single day this year-never even bought a stamp, pathetic. I bought a new, to me, outboard an haven't even gotten home yet and want to get some use out of it if I can. Figured if there was water open now would be a good time, won't be spooking birds.
    Plenty of open water had been warm until this morning just a little skim ice this morning. Still some birds around though they seem to be a bit wary. Should still have sometime to knock some feathers loose.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Don't hesitate.. This week should be great for duckhunting!! The skim ice will lock up all the back water grassy areas providing a funnel affect for all ducks to hit te big water.. Everyone that gets out should have birds in their face if done correctly..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I've never hunted this late in season before with open water. In these conditions in mid oct i agree, ducks still around and going to open water, now i believe the vast majority have gone south and only the year around residents are left, and that ain't many. I know we will see large flocks of mallards above wasilla lake all winter flying around, but the migrants have left. Bud
    Wasilla

Well thanks you guys. I may try to run rabbit slough. I've never been there. My boat is still blue (never did it get painted for hunting) so I doubt any birds will be dumb enough to come near me. Just wanting to get outside after a month in FL.

Well judging by what duckhunter01 sent to me today the season is over unless you have a honey hole that works when the ice is in. DL had a lot of thick ice on it. Very hard to get out. A co worker told me there were chunks floating down the knik. Im guessing salt will still be producing but the freshwater game sounds like its done.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Well judging by what duckhunter01 sent to me today the season is over unless you have a honey hole that works when the ice is in. DL had a lot of thick ice on it. Very hard to get out. A co worker told me there were chunks floating down the knik. Im guessing salt will still be producing but the freshwater game sounds like its done.
    Yep, checked out a couple spots today but didn't have time to hunt. Looking all done for me.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

What is "DL"???

Well, I wasn't intending to hunt, just run some of the hunting areas. Just checked the weather a few minutes ago: winter storm watch for places north of here, snow and freezing rain. I only just got back to AK last night. Looks like I waited a few days too many to come home.

What is "DL"???
    Duck lake.

I thought that "DL" meant "down low". My mistake

Duck lake.
    Shhhhh......thats a secret, don't want everybody to know about it. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post

Yeh we wanna keep that on the "Down Low"

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Thats why I usually put DL. Most don't know where its at anyway and if they don't I won't be telling them. Some of the guys I talk to that know where its at don't even know thats what its called.

Thats why I usually put DL. Most don't know where its at anyway and if they don't I won't be telling them. Some of the guys I talk to that know where its at don't even know thats what its called.
    I knew of....that place....but I didn't connect it with the initials DL. Sorry. And no, I don't know how to get there anyway lol.

Yeah, I've noticed a dearth of local information. It's very hard to break in to hunting up here. I understand why it has to be that way, but I find it comically ironic that we have groups, such as DU, NRA et al that want to promote hunting and the shooting sports, yet hunters and shooters don't want anyone new to get involved and become a hunter or shooter. Like I said, I understand it and can't really hold any animosity, but it sure is funny.

I knew of....that place....but I didn't connect it with the initials DL. Sorry. And no, I don't know how to get there anyway lol.

Yeah, I've noticed a dearth of local information. It's very hard to break in to hunting up here. I understand why it has to be that way, but I find it comically ironic that we have groups, such as DU, NRA et al that want to promote hunting and the shooting sports, yet hunters and shooters don't want anyone new to get involved and become a hunter or shooter. Like I said, I understand it and can't really hold any animosity, but it sure is funny.
    I feel the same way. I love to take people hunting but the real problem lies with the casual shooter/hunter. You show em a place, they have a great time and may or may not want to come back but they share that experience with others and tell em where its at and before you know it half of downtown is sitting in your hole. I absolutely refused to show a few guys I know where I hunt because I know they'll tell everyone under the sun and Ill never be able to shoot out there again. I wont ask anywhere for a specific area to hunt in for that reason. I will however ask for someone to go hunting with me or to tag along with someone who needs help or wants someone to split cost with them.

I feel the same way. I love to take people hunting but the real problem lies with the casual shooter/hunter.
    That pretty well sums it up. The feeling I have when someone asks where to go, Is get out and do your own leg work like the rest of us have had to do to learn where to go and how to approach hunting those areas. You want instant gratification get a guided hunt. Has taken almost 20 years of hunting locally to learn where and how to approach hunting these areas. I don't mind helping by giving generalized areas but I will usually tell someone to get the atlas out and look at Topo maps if they want more info. Will make them a better hunter, and might better prepare them if they have to do some research on their own in my opinion.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I agree.. I am a huge advocate for introducing new waterfowlers to the sport.. But I always put them through the bull**** filter first.. if they past that and are half as dedicated as me.. Then I'll give it a shot. On the other side, with the younger generation, I am all into doing whatever we have too to ensure they have a great experience.

Was a great season for me. Made some great new friends in the sport, had some awesome shoots and the best of all was getting my new best buddy Skeeter. I got to watch him grow and really make some awesome retrieves this year!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I know with this being my first year of waterfowl hunting here in Alaska I spent most of my days studying maps and walking for miles to just try and learn the area and find spots on my own on where to hunt. I found a few but nothing to brag about. Both my boys also dealt with hours of walking but both of them saw birds come hone with us on some days and also learnt some valuable lessons about hunting and the possible dangers associated with it. I can say with experience that me and my oldest walked for hours and miles out at cottonwood and happened to run into Thelast2 who very graciously gave us some information after that long walk out. It was the best hunting day we had all year with countless birds seen that day, the only problem is I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn that day. I can say that my boy and I made wonderful memories that day which means more than bringing home a limit of birds (which I should have done that day). It is a lot of work, study and research but it is well worth it. Thanks to everyone on here that gave me some information and hopefully next year I will be more successful and bring home more than 6 birds for the season.

Seems like this is the end of year thread. Thanks to everybody for the pics and info. The reports kept me positive and kept me hunting. The effort was worth it everytime. Thanks for everybody that gave me a PM with an honest report. Great season and I got to learn more than I hoped for.

I can understand how you all feel Ive been away for a couple of years to get my son into some big game. But prior to that I was and still a die hard duck hunter grew up hear hunting DL and Jim Creek. But as more people are hunting those areas keeping good spots is a must if you want good hunts. Glad to see everyone had a good year. Duckhunter 01 thanks for all the info on the EBAD and cant wait to get you next year brother
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast