Thread: Local, current (11/4/13) conditions in/near Trapper Creek or Anchorage

Default Local, current (11/4/13) conditions in/near Trapper Creek or Anchorage

Hey can someone give me some local water conditions from up around Trapper Creek (Moose Creek & Amber Lake specifically) and the Anchorage area (Big Lake, Rabbit Slough etc)?

I'll be back home on Thursday, after a month, and I'm hoping to get one last run on the water in my Grumman. I bought a new (to me) outboard for it, but didn't even to get to take delivery of it before I had to jump on a plane, so I'd like to run it a bit.

I get in Thursday night, and, after a month down here (God I HATE being down here) I want to go to our cabin in trapper creek and just hide from all of the people. Thought do a half day trip on Moose Creek if still doable, with the crazy warm weather I hear we're having or some other place that still has open water.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hey can someone give me some local water conditions from up around Trapper Creek (Moose Creek & Amber Lake specifically) and the Anchorage area (Big Lake, Rabbit Slough etc)?

I'll be back home on Thursday, after a month, and I'm hoping to get one last run on the water in my Grumman. I bought a new (to me) outboard for it, but didn't even to get to take delivery of it before I had to jump on a plane, so I'd like to run it a bit.

I get in Thursday night, and, after a month down here (God I HATE being down here) I want to go to our cabin in trapper creek and just hide from all of the people. Thought do a half day trip on Moose Creek if still doable, with the crazy warm weather I hear we're having or some other place that still has open water.

Any ideas?
    I was also wondering if one could get a canoe out for a test run another time or two this season. So I went to find out. Here is what it looked like in the late afternoon on Thursday the 7th:

Small lakes and ponds seen from the Glenn Highway had ice on them.

Knik River as seen from the Glenn Highway looks like it’s 50% full of closely spaced ice pans or slush.

Wasilla Lake had no ice visible around the west end.

Big Lake Boat Launch South is closed with a locked gate.

Big Lake Boat Launch North is open for business, but there’s 200 feet of ice between that launch and open water. The ice is 1 inch thick and can still be broken with a shovel. With some work and persistence, you could probably still get to open water. There was no other ice visible at Big Lake North except at the boat launch area itself. The park host told me the ice at the launch had just formed last night.

The Matsu Borough Boat Launch on South Big Lake Road is open for business (maybe 4 or 5 miles beyond the state’s closed South Boat Launch). There was no ice there.

You might find some more ice forming overnight tonight and Friday night, but daytime temperatures might exceed 40 degrees F. this weekend. Good luck!

Thanks, Rifleman. That sucks. Big Lake was just about my last chance. I only just got back to Anchorage last night. Where is that Matsu Boat Launch? I had better try to get out there tomorrow (Saturday) if I'm going to get out at all.

Thought about going all the way to Amber Lake/Trapper Creek but there is a Winter Storm Watch there, snow and freezing rain, don't want to tow my boat through that and the lake shore there may be iced up, too.

Crap. I hate leaving Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Where is that Matsu Boat Launch?
    Asked and answered. I guess I didn't read close enough. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    The Matsu Borough Boat Launch on South Big Lake Road