Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabelas xwt review

Default cabelas xwt review

purchased the 12x12 cabelas xwt this summer for 839$, 920$ to the door.
    I had to sleep in it a couple nights this hunting season with me and my buddy. First night setting it up it took about 30 minutes in the dark. The proceeding nights i was alone as he went back for parts( rolled the rhino into a river..not good) I had a little buddy heater the whole time and the temp outside was 20-28 degrees everynight. Inside the tent with the little buddy on full blast(the little one) it stayed right at 60 degrees at the top of the tent, and about 52 at the floor. tent held up great, rained like hell for two nights and snowed the last night. Never a drop of water or moisture in the tent. Clothes were hung every night at the top of the tent and they all dried by morning. Not much i would change about the tent other than get a pitch kit for it, and its heavy as hell. 62 lbs on the scale. With a rhino and wheelers the weight wasnt bad. Any questions let me know.

I really liked mine as well except for the setting up part. I sold mine in favor of an Arctic Oven. Waaaaay easier and faster to set up in my opinion. I still miss the huge vestibule the cabelas tent had though
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I looked hard at the ao, I just couldn't find enough benefits to justify the extra cash. It is time consuming to set up, but I set it up by myself soaked to the bone in 30 minutes. I think for sure I'm going to either build a pitch kit or buy one. It is ridiculous to set up the tent first in the rain...

They get faster to set up the more you do it. Never liked the ao that much. The vestibule on the xwt is amazing....amazing amazing. Heavy tents cause they are hard core. Used them on Kodiak is winds near 100 ( gusts and a guess) and it held up fine. I did have every guy line out too
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

an update: I have the last few days slept in the tent with the kids in the yard. It was in the teens and with the little buddy all the kids were sweating. I would guess it was 55-60 degrees in the tent. And it is getting easier to setup the more I do it. I took measurements when it was up so I can build the pitch kit for it. I did use every guy line just to do it, that takes a long time,.,,

Default AO 12 w vestibule Vs Cabelas 12x12 xwt

I am on the fence right now between the Cabelas 12x12 XWT or the Ao 12 w vestibule. I have been down to Alaska Tent and Tarp and seen the tent set up. It is impressive. I'm just trying to decide if its $1500 better or not. Has anyone had both? I would love to hear comparisons. I don't mind spending the money if it is that good I'm just trying to compare the two.
    Thanks

Ive used both. Ao dont get condensation inside like the cabelas. The vestibule on the xwt is almost a whole extra tent though. Not sure what the weight differences are. Both set up pretty easy once you figure them out. The new ao's might have a vestibule now, the old ones didn't. If your planning on a wood stove or winter camping go with the ao. If not, save the extra coin get the xwt ad use the money on a couple hunting trips! Either one you'll probably be happy with.
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the input BRNBR. The new AO has the vestibule. The vestibule option is huge. The weight difference is nominal. I think the Cabelas 12x12 xwt is 72 lbs without the pitch kit, and the AO 12 w/vestibule is 78 lbs. I really like the Idea of solving the common condensation problem associated with all tents. A couple questions I have is 1. How the the Ao handle heavy winds? and 2. How does the AO handle steady downpours?
    I appreciate the feedback

Well the xwt has about 100 feet of tie outa and the exterior is round. It would get my vote for the wind department, and either one I'm pretty sure would be just fine under a waterfall. I'm not sure if the new ao is square and still lacks the good tie outs or not. I have two xwt's in my shed and never regretted the purchase and never had a client complain about their digs. I've say in some unreal wind in them on Kodiak and never an issue, I'd say gusts of 100mph or better. But don't have any serious wind time in an ao.
    Master guide 212

Default cabelas xwt review

I have the AO without the vestibule. Wish it had one, might get one added on. The tent is bomber ! I put it to the test. My hunting partner and I went to the south end of Kodiak year before this in late November and had a big one blow off the Shelikoff. It was uber nasty. 0 degrees and 100+ knots for five days. The tent did what I hoped it would. I did get the heavy duty upgrade on the poles and I know a lesser pole would not hold up. The gusts rolled through and it sounded like a 747 doing a static run up outside the door, every ten min or so. After a few days you start to get a bit tired of it. Anyhow, I see no flaws in the design. Crazy strong, and the insulation layer kills any condensation issues. Good tent for what we do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pick A Spot

Quote Originally Posted by mikthestik View Post
    I have the AO without the vestibule. Wish it had one, might get one added on. The tent is bomber ! I put it to the test. My hunting partner and I went to the south end of Kodiak year before this in late November and had a big one blow off the Shelikoff. It was uber nasty. 0 degrees and 100+ knots for five days. The tent did what I hoped it would. I did get the heavy duty upgrade on the poles and I know a lesser pole would not hold up. The gusts rolled through and it sounded like a 747 doing a static run up outside the door, every ten min or so. After a few days you start to get a bit tired of it. Anyhow, I see no flaws in the design. Crazy strong, and the insulation layer kills any condensation issues. Good tent for what we do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great review Mike. Much appreciated.
    Bowtech907

Update: i replaced all the stakes, shaved 12 pounds of weight and ended up with far better stakes!

The stakes they come with work great in sand and loose ground, but man you could melt them down and build a blade for a dozer!!
    Master guide 212

I replaced all the stakes on mine to save weight also.

Of course you only actually save the weight if you leave the old stakes at home.

What stakes did use guys buy for replacements? I'm trying to decide between the 10x10 or 12x12. The 10x is tempting because it weighs a lot less which would be easier for throwing on the 4-wheeler, and with a slightly smaller footprint would be easier for finding a camp spot. On the other hand I have two small kids so the larger tent would offer more space for family camping. Was thinking about going with the 10x and those stackable cots for the kids but If I can shave twelve pounds off the 12x12 that might just be the ticket. Ahh decisions. What do you guys think?

I got plastic tent stakes that I got a cabelas

the 12x is huge. the vestibule is almost the size of another tent. you could comfortable sleep three in the vestubule of the 12x tent. the 10x fits two fulls size cots perfect and the 12x fits three cots on outside walls perfectly.
    Master guide 212

There's an add on craigslist for Arctic Oven rentals. Great way to check one out before you buy. I did - in my opinion there's no comparison - both are heavy but the Arctic Oven's give you a drier stronger tent. The guy who rents has 10x10s and Arktikas. The Arktika is a less well known Arctic Oven model. Same great construction but the 6-sided shape makes the space available more efficient
    for 3 people than the 12x12. Check one out.

Looks like the XWT 12 man is 250$ off normal price right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...tabsCollection

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Both set up pretty easy once you figure them out.
    Is the xwt that much different than the original guide tent? I always used the 6 man guide tent while guiding and they were pretty easy to set up.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast