Thread: CanAm ATVs

Question CanAm ATVs

Anybody have experience with the new CanAm ATVs? I like some of their innovative features but they are a bit higher priced. I was considering the 500 or 650cc Max versions. Thanks for any input.

I've got a 2005 400 Max, and am really happy with it. I've had no problems keeping up with others riding bigger-bore machines on local trails (where, in all honesty, you can rarely run wide-open anyway).

Good points about CanAms:
    Excellent engine braking systems
    Probably the most comfortable rear seat on a 2-up
    Very good rear suspension
    Very high power output for the motor's displacement.

Criticisms you may hear:
    - Weak frame: The CanAms have a unique frame design (more akin to a motorcycles than most other ATVs). Not usually an issue, but you should strive to protect it. Given the rocks around here, you'd be cautious to install a good set of skid plates (such as the Ricochets).
    - Not good in very technical (like super-deep ruts) terrain. CanAms have a visco-lock differential, which may not be as responsive to the throttle if you have one or more wheels off the ground, compared to other systems. That said, it works just fine in snow and mud.

You may also want to check out the other two two-up machines--the Arctic Cat TRV and Polaris X2.

The following forum has a very active CanAm section:
    http://aurorawheelers.com/forum5/

I have the '07 Can-Am Outlander 800. It's hard to sit here and type up regarding the power and the abilities that this four-wheeler has. Simply amazing. Also really like that 3-year factory warranty.

We had an 06' 400 Max, 650, and an 800 last year. The 800 was unreal, 650 had more then enough power and the 400 with 2-people on it out ran our Sportsman 500.

We just picked up our fleet of 07's last week and got 4-400's (2 Max) 4-500's (2 Max) and 2-650's (1 XT). First impressions are that the new 500 EFI is a GREAT machine. I think that this is one of the best out of the box ATV's in today's market for most consumers. It has all the same features as the 650 and 800 with better fuel economy. I will update with reports as we get more time on these machines. Feel free to come in and rent one and check it out before you lay down the $$, if not, I feel that you will be happy with your purchase. Good Luck!

Chris M
    Alaska Snow Safaris
    Alaska All Terrain
    Glacier Jet Alaska
    Alaska Off-Road Safaris
    868-7669

Default 07 400

I have a 07 CanAm 400, and I really enjoy it. I was the only one in the village on a CanAm, so it got a lot of looks, and it could usually outperform most of other machines around (the one that outperformed me had really wide tires, which I haven't had the money to try yet). I got the XT package with the good rims, tires, and a winch, and I'm really glad I did.

However, I wish I'd gotten the 500 instead of the 400. The 400 has enough power to do what I need it to do, but I wish I had fuel injection. The idle is set high on mine, and I can't even see the carburetor, I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get back up north.

My one and only real complaint is the brakes. Engine braking is great, but the front disc isn't anything to brag about. I'm hoping to replace it soon.

Schloss,

Here's how to adjust the idle speed:

http://atvfrontier.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=27300.html

That's almost too easy. Thanks for the link.

Default Thanks for the input

Its good to hear about some CanAm riders. How is the fuel economy on the 650? I would probably go with the 650 over the 400 mainly due to the clearance and better front end.

I have the 650 xt (non max) and it is awesome. It has issues like all the others, but the fuel economy is great. I get 15+ mph on trails fully loaded for hunting. The power and suspension seemed to me the best of the others I have tried. It is hard to argue that the Rotax power plant is not dependable, and will rip the lugs off your tires.

Definately go for full skids, or it could get expensive quickly.

The 3 year warranty is nice, and they have stood behind the product with the issues I have had.

A large factor in your decision should be the dealer and service shop close to you.

I live 6 hours from the nearest Can Am Dealer, but my father in law is a master mechanic, with a tool/gadget selection to rival the Craftsman section at your local Sears, so I was not worried.

However, if that had not been the case, I would not have gone with the Outlander. My tool box consists of a phone book and a Visa card.

Thumbs up Can Am 400

I have heard good things about the 400......more power than most riders need.
    Alaska